"lunchbox" amp options

tce63

Tele-Afflicted
Very comprehensive, northernguitar, thank you. I like the idea of the Traynor, though they’re pretty thin on the ground here in the US mid-Atlantic area.

tce63, which Laney? The Lionheart series got stellar reviews when they came out, and there are both 5 and 20 watt versions that appeal, but I’ve never actually laid eyes on one. (Sorry, didn’t realize it was a link.)
2021-12-18 12-29-34.jpg

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Very comprehensive, northernguitar, thank you. I like the idea of the Traynor, though they’re pretty thin on the ground here in the US mid-Atlantic area.
I know that Long and McQuade ship south to the US and your Yankee dollars go far up here. This sells for CDN$629, which equals <USD$500.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
So many good ideas. Lemme go way back to square one, 'lunchbox' vs. 'head'. The former can be prettier (nice examples here) or cheaper (Hammond style etc.) and possibly smaller or lighter. But often less robust, sometimes radically (do you transport your gear?), harder to secure to your cab (depending on cab size and lunchbox width, feet, etc.), and may be harder or easier to resell, depending on these and other factors. I had one where the feet were wider front-back than the cab I was using it with. My mistake, but a real fail…

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
I don't know what the availability of KLD amps is, I have not seen much of them since buying mine about four years ago.

The Pilot is a 15w head utilising 2x 6L6 Whilst the PVA18 is 18w, handwired with 2x EL84

1641483179205.png
1641483102044.png

Think Tweed Fender and Marshall 18w, but with more pre-amp controls.

wrathfuldeity

Tele-Afflicted
I'll just leave this here.

s1B4VkK.jpg

I know, posting the unattainable adds nothing to this thread but it's the coolest looking lunchbox in my collection.

My wife bought me a Bugera T5 a few years ago that ended up a surprisingly cool little lunchbox head. Good range of tones, nice sounding digital reverb, headphone out, able to work with a variety of cab impedances.

It has a single 12AX7 in the preamp and a 5w single ended EL84 output. The single 12AX7 makes it extremely sensitive to preamp tube changes. The crap Bugera labeled Chinese 12AX7 was really harsh sounding and the amp's tone completely changed once I replaced that. I have a tube caddy full of vintage tubes and had so much fun rolling tubes in this thing. You can hear the difference between tubes in this more than any amp I've ever owned. I ran I61 & I63 Blackburn Mullards, an Amperex, Raythen black plate, long & short plate Sylvania's, a GE 5751 & various RCA types from black plates to gray plates. A Baldwin labeled Sylvania long plate ended up being my final pick. I think these sell for $199 new so you can probably find them used for $150.

3YMNwmE.jpg

Love the stromberg. My $65 old school lunch box...pp6V6 monoblock sans pre...just plug in right into the PI...either git and/or pedals etc. Low volume...unless you want to goose it.

http://www.tubeamp.net/technote6/data/board/kkkgoods/file_in_body/1/bbe7c1f8_1.jpg

KC

Friend of Leo's
this thread inspired me to gig the Brent Hinds Terror out of the closet, an impulse purchase when they were blowing them out for less than half-price. through a nice big cab with a broken-in British V30, quite a nice sounding little amp. it wants to rock out more than I do by a long shot -- the usable settings for me are WAY down the volume knob -- but versatile EQ and plenty of power. plenty! neat little box. would hold its own on a pretty big stage.

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
Lil Dawg, all the way for me...and he will customize the build for you.

Riffraff12571

Tele-Holic
Love the stromberg. My $65 old school lunch box...pp6V6 monoblock sans pre...just plug in right into the PI...either git and/or pedals etc. Low volume...unless you want to goose it.

http://www.tubeamp.net/technote6/data/board/kkkgoods/file_in_body/1/bbe7c1f8_1.jpg

Nice!
I have a couple of Bogens in my someday pile. A CH18 that's missing the top like your PH10, a CHB35A and a 330 that has the exact tube arrangement needed for a 5F6A Bassman. That had a lovely set of I61 Mullards in it.

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
I doubt highly I could convince the CFO to spend much more than $500 on it, a toy for a bass player, but there might be some wiggle room.

I’m also willing to consider a kit.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ibanez issued a cute little combo amp that was a 2x 6V6 amp with a spring reverb and built-in Tube Screamer. 15 watts. It looked like a little 1950s television. These actually sound pretty good.