Lumber Shortage?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jun 7, 2021.

1. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Still trying to finish my house. Wrapping up oak cabinet's and on to countertops
    then rip up living and dinning room and hallway floors. Oak is going and new oak is going in. Too damaged to save and it is cheaper to replace than refinish.
    Got it before crazy times.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

Exactly. That's nothing in the lumber biz.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

That's probably enough lumber to frame several houses at most. If you want to find evidence of a conspiracy for something, you are guaranteed to find it....

4. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

The good and the bad news:
    ‘Market has tipped’: Lumber prices finally fall, although still up over 300%

it's a worldwide 'thing'. same here.

Fretting out likes this.
  5. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I may have stolen this from here. I can’t remember.
    8E02EC97-1D90-460A-9A72-FF4CC505456A.jpeg

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Right.

And a lot of wise decision making was done at Toll Bros. and etc, and they saw a shortage in the making and they locked in a whole passel of contracts, where they own the finished wood products (delivered to them, at a specific time and place) before the tree is ever felled. These big boys knew they would be caught with their pants down if they had orders to build stuff but no lumber with which to build anything. So, they locked up a huge amount of it, the way big airlines lock up large contracts on jet fuel.

When these boys have their orders in way first, so to speak, it drives the spot market super high, when Lowe's and the latecomers all decide late in 2020 they wanna build a house since their other house was bought from them at a huge profit by some rich fellow who was tired of being held prisoner in a Manhattan high rise.

Up here in the mountains, outsiders (mostly from Florida) are buying every lot they can identify, then they try to have a house built on it and find the lumber price has more than doubled. So, they're pulling sheds and big RV buses onto the lots and hanging out in those until the price stops being so insane. Then of course, they'll decide they wanna be back in FL to be at the beach and go to parties and baseball games and they'll try to put these lots on the market and nobody will bid on them.

I would try try to hold off on any projects like this, right now, for a second reason. Much of the currently available lumber is total garbage. You can't build something that will last, out of garbage wood. Never mind the price.

7. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Yup, that pile of wood pictured by the OP shows that there's a pile of wood somewhere. And where there's a pile of wood, there is wood. I see.

8. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I recently read an article where a spokesman for the N. Carolina Hardwood Association blamed the majority of the the price hike (somewhere between 200% and 300%) on "the increased wages demanded by mill workers".

What a load of B.S.

There isn't now and never has been any "trickle-down".

9. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

The architectural millwork industry is crazy right now. Material prices and lead times are rising, winning bids and project schedules are shrinking. We've revamped our entire pre-construction workflow around materials approval and purchasing to get the jobs out on time.

It's not just lumber either. Blum is out of drawer guides and hinges until August.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Apparently futures prices are falling and wholesale supplies are growing. It will all tip the other way soon, probably cheap wood this fall when the building trade naturally slows down for seasonal weather.

11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

True story: I needed some 2x4s for a framing job, so I bought 2x8s and rip-sawed them in half, to save 15%.

Greg70, carpenter and Mexitele Blues like this.
  12. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A month or so ago I had to make a scaffold above a second-story walk around railing to take down a ceiling fan, and install a new light fixture. I bought five 10 foot two by fours and a half sheet of plywood, because a full sheet would have bankrupted me. Made the platform, got the job done, then I took the two-by-fours back and got a refund. I would have taken the plywood back too but I did drill holes through with drywall screws, but the holes in the edges of the two-by-fours, no one will ever notice.

When I was looking at the lumber, kind of looking puzzled at the prices, the Home Depot guy looked at me and said "I'm embarrassed to even be in the plywood aisle".

13. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

If it's solid wood then sell it as "distressed" someone will buy it - Think Relic!

Cheers,
    OD2

carpenter likes this.
  14. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

shut up take my money.png

Yonatan likes this.
  15. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

I saw a pic the other day someone took of the price tag for a sheet of 3/4” plywood; $106!

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

During the boom I guess in 2007 I was on a renovation of a 7000sf Brookline house when the US lumber supply dried up.
    We got stuck with 2x lumber from Russia.
    I was straight line ripping 2x6 to get usable 2x4.
    Damn that was some slow going.
    Housing/ building/ buying/ financing crazes seem to come and go.
    Usually some sort of crash after every boom.
    Right now is as crazy as I've seen and I'm looking at possibly needing to do a medium major bunch of work on my house to have a second summer weekly beach rental unit by next summer.
    I can't do construction any more and builders are 6-10 months behind.

A wee bit stressed here!

boris bubbanov and Blue Bill like this.
  17. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Holic

Well, the picture is a bit misleading actually: Because of the jamb/stop (not visible in the first picture - see below), they aren't useable to their full width. I could possibly use them for necks, or for 4-piece bodies, or some other project.

upload_2021-6-8_11-49-4.png

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  18. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Hardwoods arent that crazy..construction lumber is a dif story

19. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

I work at a structural engineering firm in Akron and we’re dealing with a huge shortage of steel joists. We’ve actually redesigned some buildings to use structural wood members because builders can get them before steel.

boris bubbanov and telemnemonics like this.
  20. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Commercial work has gone back and forth between wood and steel depending on the market for years :).

Carpenters are a very adaptable group of mechanics ;).

telemnemonics and boris bubbanov like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.