Lucky Dog Owners - how’s that radius?

8bitlooper

TDPRI Member
Hi folks,

I’ve been looking at picking up a LD for a while, and have an opportunity for a trade/cash kind of thing. the guitar looks great from the pictures I’ve seen, and I’ve never heard a bad thing about the build or bad sounding clip of these guitars so I am pretty excited. The *only* real thing that I’m hung up on is that it’s a 14” radius, which seems to be a normal radius for this brand.

Can anyone comment on how that feels on a tele C neck? I’ve been a 7.25”/9.5” guy for decades, and when I hear a 14” radius, I think of the shred guitars from waaay back. I’m certain I’ve never even tried anything more than a 12” (which felt fine, Gibson SG). I know I have to try it myself to really know, but if anyone can characterize it, I’d surely appreciate it!

Thanks!

kuch

Tele-Meister
Hi folks,

I’ve been looking at picking up a LD for a while, and have an opportunity for a trade/cash kind of thing. the guitar looks great from the pictures I’ve seen, and I’ve never heard a bad thing about the build or bad sounding clip of these guitars so I am pretty excited. The *only* real thing that I’m hung up on is that it’s a 14” radius, which seems to be a normal radius for this brand.

Can anyone comment on how that feels on a tele C neck? I’ve been a 7.25”/9.5” guy for decades, and when I hear a 14” radius, I think of the shred guitars from waaay back. I’m certain I’ve never even tried anything more than a 12” (which felt fine, Gibson SG). I know I have to try it myself to really know, but if anyone can characterize it, I’d surely appreciate it!

Thanks!
Hey,
Have you ever played a Martin? If you have, the fretboard radius on them are 14" or flatter. Just something you might be able to compare it to although the string spacing would probably be different.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
If it's a straight 14" radius you as a 7.5"- 9.5" radius player are going feel a huge difference when your playing up near the head stock. If you're strictly playing lead you might like it very much but if you're a player that also utilizes a lot of chording you may regret the purchase.

Hodgo88

Tele-Meister
I don't think you'll have any more trouble than you would have switching between electric and acoustic. If there's a GC nearby, there are probably lots of Ibanez and Schecter guitars that will give you an idea of what it's all about.

8bitlooper

TDPRI Member
I don't think you'll have any more trouble than you would have switching between electric and acoustic. If there's a GC nearby, there are probably lots of Ibanez and Schecter guitars that will give you an idea of what it's all about.
Ah, that’s actually a good idea!

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Hi folks,

Thanks!
I usually like 12'' radius necks on my tele's (like a gibson) but I have a 14'' and I can't feel the difference between it and a 12'' to be honest. I would imagine that it might feel a bit different than a traditional small radius neck to you, but perhaps not.