Lucky coin find.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Brad Pittiful, May 28, 2019.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought something with paper money last week and got coins in change. It felt weird. I use plastic for almost everything these days. When I get coins I throw them in a bank I have. I don't think any are rare, but I should at least take a look.

I wish I would have hung on to the silver dollars I got for my birthday when I was a kid.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

I loved doing that, and it was so sad when the searches became fruitless and you realize the good coins were in someone's collection. I'm trying to remember the valuable dimes (US) that started becomming rare in the late 60s?

uriah1 likes this.
  3. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

I worked at Burger King in the 70’s and I got to go through the change and buy the silver 1966 and older coins . I was able to buy a lot of coins.

4. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I am an extremely amateur collector

I have a fair number of old silver coins (nickles, dimes, quarter, 50c and dollar). I think my oldest one is a 1890's Indian head penny, and a 1920's Liberty silver dollar. I also have a bicentennial set and a bunch of wheat pennies.

I also collect bills. I traveled a lot in my earlier career, and collected notes (and coins) from most of Europe before the Euro came out. Plus lots from Asia, Australia, South Africa, India, Russia (yeah I used to get around). I also have a bunch of old $1 silver certificates and $2 bills.

My favorite is a couple I bought off Ebay from Zimbabwe (never been there, but my wife grew up there back when it was Rhodesia). I've got a 500 billion and 100 trillion dollar note. I think I paid about $3 each.

Cheers,
    Doug

5. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

When I worked fast food I received a one dollar silver certificate and a five dollar gold certificate, paid as normal currency. Bought them both out the cash drawer, and have since lost them both

6. newrider1969

newrider1969 Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Crazy that you mentioned that. My friend received this in his change yesterday...

uriah1 and Straydogger like this.
  7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I always like to tell the story about the time I was talking to a sign maker that was installing a new sign on some real estate property. He was nailing the sign up using what looked like some copper washers, but upon closer inspection I saw that the bin was full of pennies with a hole drilled through the middle. I asked him about it and he said, "Well, I use a ton of these and the washers that size cost 3 cents each and these cost me one cent".

Brilliant! Non corrosive washers....

kingofdogs1950 and nojazzhere like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Isn't that Amazon price ($40) if you're BUYING?????? If you're selling to a dealer, you might get half that. Many buyers (serious collectors) hesitate to buy from private sellers, because the dealers can accurately "grade" coins, which is EVERYTHING in pricing coins.

9. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

S means San Francisco, D means Denver, and no mint mark means Philadelphia. Most coins from Philadelphia have no mint mark.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The date is entirely worn off of that high spot, on the individual's shoulder.

We call these "culls". When things were more settled, I'd keep a few handy and hand them to little kids. They got a kick out of it. Liberty Standing Quarters had raised dates that wore off even faster - I bet most of those were melted down.

MickM and newrider1969 like this.
  11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

When I was a kid (the 6os) I had the blue folders for each denomination of coin, and had some pretty full, except for very old or rarer coins, like the Indian head or 1943 pennies, mercury dimes, and buffalo nickels. But, I had most of the 40s through 60s coins, fewer of those earlier than the 40s. And my sister and I both had 20 or more Morgan and Liberty silver dollars that our Mom's aunt gave us, as well as a $10 gold eagle from 1849 (mine) and a $3 gold coin from the same era (hers). I also had a 1960 proof set. I don't remember what happened to most of them. I probably sold them to a coin shop when I was a teen to get money to buy weed, concert tickets, or guitar strings. I kept the Gold Eagle until a few years ago when I sold it to a collector here in Hawaii when I was out of work and needed cash.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

D = Dahlonega on some very early coins. O = New Orleans. CC = Carson City.

uriah1 likes this.
  13. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

In 2005 some KANSAS state quarters were misprinted to say “In God We Rust” or “NSAS” instead of Kansas, all because someone didn’t properly clean the coin press! Today these mistake quarters could be worth up to $100 each! I wonder if someone lost a job over this? :)
    20170121_185454.jpg

Guitardvark likes this.
  14. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

1909 SVD B penny uncirculated will buy a few Telecasters... ;)

MickM likes this.
  15. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

I'm a change searcher too. It all started in elementary school. In 5th grade my class sold snacks before class. I was in charge of the money. One time I got a 1943 penny. It didn't look right. I took it to my teacher thinking it was fake. He told me all about the '43 pennies, and how they were almost never in circulation any more. He let me keep it. And it started a life long obsession with studying my change.

Other really cool finds over the years in grocery store change included a 1907 Indian head penny and a 1944 half dollar. I also found an 1887 silver dollar while on a hike deep in the Arizona desert. I like to think some cowboy dropped it a century ago. Who knows?

Rarely find the cool stuff anymore, but its still out there. I got a 1941 dime in change at a gas station sometime in this year.

These are some of my favorites, all found in circulation in the 21st century. 1907, 1918, 1936, 1941, 1943, 1943, and 1964

IMG_20190530_212656429 - Edited.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  16. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

My Mother had 3 books full of these zinc wheat pennies. When she passed my SIL found her and went through the house taking stuff before calling anyone. *****.

[​IMG]

Three books like this.

[​IMG]

verb boten and uriah1 like this.
  17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Those folders were fun.

I remember my grandma would give me filled in dime folders for Christmas.

Some of my favs are big silver.

Dutch Lion, 8 Reale, some crowns and of course the Big Churchill and big Eisenhower.

verb boten likes this.
  18. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

went to the bank before work to get a few rolls of quarters and i found a W quarter in a roll!...its the...war in the pacific guam...only 2 million of these will be minted...going back to that bank tomorrow and get more rolls

19. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Had one in my book as a kid (not uncirculated but clearly legible); don't know if it's still there or not.

20. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

got an 2012 el yunque S proof quarter in change this weekend!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.