Lucinda!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Ben-Zion, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

I adore Lucinda Williams. We've had many discussions about her here, and some just don't dig her. But for me, she is deep deep deep, so here goes. This is an older one.

DonM, Poorman512, idjster and 15 others like this.
  2. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Lucinda Williams - "Metal Firecracker"

3. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

I really like the non-verbal exchange between her and the guitarist between 9:39 and 9:48 in this video:

I get the feeling she appreciates dirt :)

pixeljammer, stevemc, Lawdawg and 5 others like this.
  4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've run into Pettibone in town. Last time he told me about a vintage tele he just got that had an interesting decor on it. Wish I knew how it worked out for him.

GGardner, stevemc, Lawdawg and 2 others like this.
  5. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Her bass player in this video, David Sutton, is an old high school buddy. I wasn't playing yet, but he was in a band with one of my best friends and we hung out a lot. He did not have a huge amount of obvious talent at that point, but he played the bass 24/7 - nothing else mattered to him. He went to Berklee and obviously has done pretty well with it. There was another really intensely dedicated kid in that band who played ALL THE TIME - but he never went anywhere. He played guitar and great guitarists are about a dime a dozen...

teletimetx and Ben-Zion like this.
  6. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Great band!

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

the title cut from the amazing record. For me, it was just coincidence - had just finished getting free from a long, but asymmetric relationship and all the music on it felt just right. yeah, there's some of her stuff that I'm not crazy about, but when it's good, it's great.

this captures a lot of how it felt to grow up in our times, in the same way that Tom Wait's song, "Kentucky Avenue" does.

Wally, stevemc, lewis and 5 others like this.
  8. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

stevemc, elihu, Lawdawg and 1 other person like this.
  9. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister

She’s amazing!

Ben-Zion likes this.
  10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Can I 'like' the entire thread? :)

richiek65, Ben-Zion and Lawdawg like this.
  11. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I saw her ages ago in the early days, at this little club called Maxwells in Hoboken, NJ. She was playing in support of her self-titled album on Rough Trade. This would have been about 1988. Even though she went on to greater notoriety later, IMO that early album is her best, and one of my all-time favorites. Her main sideman and producer was this guy Gurf Morlix, who was a really good multi-instrumentalist.

bender66 likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I love Lucinda. We do.. I think... 4 of her tunes. I like her quirkiness. However, I listened to some early albums I have of her for a car trip a week ago. Rough Trade etc. One thing it made me realize is how much better she was until recently.
    The last time I saw her in a live performance it was nothing like the old days. Too much slurring of words, lack of even trying to get on pitch, etc. It's really too bad. Just sayin'....
    I guess it's not untypical of some performers, they've done these songs a thousand times and just can't bring it...

Sorry to be critical, but....

billgwx likes this.
  13. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

Thank Steve Earle for making Car Wheels sound great.

It still gets regular playing around here.

elihu likes this.
  14. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Really can't like this thread enough. This semi-deep cut from Car Wheels . . . just kills me every time.

Poorman512, JL_LI, RodeoTex and 3 others like this.
  15. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

Yes, her live performances have been a little inconsistent lately, but her band is ALWAYS cracking. That said, when we saw her last year on the LSD Tour, she was happy, confident, and gave one of her best performances of the ten or so times I've seen her live. She sang like she meant it, and her current group is perhaps the most simpatico that she's had in a while (Apologies to Doug Pettibone). Stuart Mathis on guitar is the perfect foil for her, and a really nice guy. Sutton and Butch are great as well.

richiek65 and schmee like this.
  16. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I've always thought it was the viewpoint of a child being taking away and relocated. The games adults play are kinda rough on children. Chrissie switches the viewpoint to the mother on one of my favorite Pretenders songs called Thumbelina.

Yeah...

https://www.austinchronicle.com/music/1998-10-23/520480/

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Lawdawg and teletimetx like this.
  17. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Had to look twice but damn if that ain't Kenny Vaughn choking the love out of that Music Man(?) guitar.

RodeoTex and Ben-Zion like this.
  18. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

When I started this thread, I thought about posting this tune, but decided on another. The thread is a blast, and since nobody's put this one up, here's "Essence." These are some of her most raw lyrics IMHO. As my partner has said after more than one show, "Lucinda is serious. She is NOT f***king around."

19. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

The studio version is one of those songs that I used to play in the car, rewind, play again, rewind, play again. Her singing--particularly on the choruses--kills me.

P.S. Fruits of My Labor too.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Ben-Zion and Random1643 like this.
  20. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

thanks for the link to that story - there's a lot of connections out there that aren't immediately apparent.

I get the sense of relocation in Car Wheels on a gravel road, too - and maybe because as a kid, I moved 8 times by the time I was in 5th grade.

That one phrase: "This room better be cleaned up before I get back" Yeah, it was like that; but genius to fit it in a song where it belongs...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.