1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lucinda Williams

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Brett Fuzz, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Any other LW fans here ?

I just listened to my LW, LW and Car Wheels O.A.G.R CD's tonight.

What a talented gal.

Prefer her earlier stuff though I must admit

:):)

2. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Car Wheels is a classic. And her live recording from the Fillmore is a great showcase for her (then) touring guitar player Doug Pettibone, an amazingly tasteful player.

3. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Car Wheels is probably my most listened to album of the past 15 years.

4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I love Lucinda. Have to say I wasn't that impressed when I finally saw her live. Not much of a chatter.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I love her Live at the Filmore album.

6. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Don't have this 'Live at the Filmore' album yet....

It's on my list now... Thanks! :D

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw her around the Car Wheels period at a free outdoor festival and she had some muscle-y guitarist that was over-playing w/ a rock tone.

On the other side of the stage she had this skinny rhythm guitar player w/ glasses.

A song later he takes a solo that would make Merle Haggard smile.

I told my buddy that I was with - don't take your eyes off that guy.

It was Kenny Vaughan.

8. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Saw her once live and she made the crowd wait a LONG time, then talked too much about how she was happy she wasn't such a big star. Yeah, right. There was also that ACL performance where she needed a teleprompter to remember her own lyrics.

'World Without Tears' is one of my favorite albums. Charlie Sexton produced it and fought her to keep the simple arrangements that let the song's emotional impact come through.

9. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

Big fan here. I discovered her with Car Wheels, which I played incessantly for months. I've seen her live about 4-5 times, and she's always good, but lately, the ballads have been dominating her recordings and live shows, and the energy level seems low. I liked her really early stuff as well.

I've also met her, and she comes across like a rock star in person. Don't be fooled by the country girl demeanor.

10. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Another vote for the Fillmore album. Car Wheels is great, also I really like her earlier work. She always has great guitarists in her band. Not sure who she has now though.

11. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

I saw the Car Wheels tour also - the guitarists were Kenny Vaughan and John Jackson, who had been touring with Dylan prior to Lucinda. Both sounded great, but Kenny was kind of drowned out, which was unfortunate.

Lucinda had a tantrum onstage about the monitors and walked off in the middle of the show. After about 20 minutes she came back out, apologized, and played for another 90 minutes.

12. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I'm a big fan. I agree with the others here that her best work is Car Wheels, World Without Tears, and Live at the Fillmore. My introduction to Williams was her eponymous album, which has some fantastic playing by Gurf Morlix.

I've seen her live three times, once after Essence came out and Charlie Sexton and Bo Ramsey were her guitarists. Next I saw her open for Neil Young after World Without Tears and the wonderful Doug Pettibone was her guitarist and steel player. And I saw her a few months ago with the young hotshot guitarist Blake Mills, which was really great. That last show I was sitting front row center, right at the lip of the stage, and it was fun to geek out on Blake Mills's guitar playing and gear. Lucinda played a lot of the show with a Trussart steel Tele through a Victoria amp.

13. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

Huge fan, my wife though, she would rather drill her eyes out then listen to her. She just can't stand her voice, so I usually listen to her alone. I really like her Lucinda Williams album, Car Wheels, World Without Tear and Essence. Anyone that is a fan and doesn't have her Live at the Filmore album....you're doing it wrong.

14. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I agree Car Wheels is a great record. Great material, tremendous production, it sounds fantastic, and really great guitar playing all the way through. Her best.

15. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Car Wheels for me also. I saw that tour concert and jim Lauderdale opened for her, he was very good. Lucinda opened with "metal firecracker". Jim came out later and joined her band for a few songs. The later Cds just did not do enough for me. After buying the next 2 i stopped.

16. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Meh. Saw her on the Car Wheels tour years ago. A few buddies were raving about the CD and I figured why not check her out. If I remember correctly, she was opening for The Jayhawks in Asheville, NC so it was right up the road. Got the CD and was just ok. Still thought she'd be better live.

Big disappointment. As with some other things (musicians, movies, food) that others just can't get enough of, I just didn't see it. Or hear it?

17. Scantron08

Scantron08 Tele-Afflicted

Another Car Wheels fan -- helps for me that there are so many Mississippi references and that she's singing about places I know fairly well. I also saw her with Kenny Vaughan and John Jackson and that was amazing. Definitely put Kenny Vaughan on my radar.

Think Pondcaster maybe saw an off night.....or just has different tastes. Really hard to imagine for me, though, the show I saw being called a "big disappointment."

18. B.G.L.

B.G.L. Tele-Meister

Big fan here.

West is the only one of her recent albums I didn't get around to purchasing. Heard a tune off of it recently which made me want to check it out.

At her best lyrically, she's really, really great.

Doug Pettibone rocks my world like few others. His playing is just flat-out cool. Tasteful and restrained when it needs to be, then wild and wooly the in the blink of an eye. He's a guitar player who listens.

Live At The Fillmore is indeed great.

Much as I miss Mr. Pettibone, I dug the guitars on Blessed. A fine batch of songs, too.

My Lucinda Williams Pandora station is one of my faves, as well.

19. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

Like several others, I really liked her material going back through Car Wheels, World Without Tears and Essence. Fine guitarists in her band(s) too, but for me, she seems to have lost her way as a writer and singer----her voice has become (IMO/YMMV) has become more of an affectation to me, as in an exaggerated version of "the song stylings of Lucinda Williams." And she's looking bloaty and acting "blowsy" in shows I've seen. Whether it's genuine/intentional or not, she appears to be medicated (or perhaps over-medicated) and/or halfway into (or maybe out of) a fifth; her concentration and timing goes off not infrequently.

20. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I love some of her albums and can't stand some of the more ballad laden ones.

Car Wheels, World Without Tears and the last but one album (can't remember the name of it but the one with the version of the AC/DC song on it which I loved) are my favourites. Didn't like Blessed and wasn't too fussy about Essence - too many slow dirgy ballads for my liking.

Whenever I've seen her on TV or dvd I cringe at the fact that she can't remember her own lyrics. Having a music stand with a book of lyrics on it seems so amateurish to me. She's a professional muso for goodness sake. Unless she's got some sort of memory problems (and if she has then I totally retract this statement!) then why can't she learn the damn lyrics like the rest of us do??

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.