1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ls your wife a back seat, or even worse, a right seat driver? (If you're in the U.S.)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife is actually a very good driver. She can handle a car in bad weather and mountain roads are no challenge for her. She used to drive up to Glennville California to her sister's house which is not far from Greenhorn mountain. One time she drove my pickup which was pretty nice, but equipped with another four speed with a granny ( I loved those things) from B-Town to Santa Barbara when my son was going to college there, and took him a huge load of groceries. I probably wouldn't have let her drive across the mountains alone, but she was back before I knew she was gone.

Stubee likes this.
  2. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

As a young professional in his mid-20s, I just hope to one day have a wife at all.

Or a car for that matter.

Toto'sDad and imwjl like this.
  3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've been a left seat driver in a British car. Very useful function for passing tractors and other slow moving traffic on European country roads.

Stubee likes this.
  4. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

....only when it appears I'm falling asleep, which isn't a rare occurrence. I'm man enough to admit she's saved us more than once.

Stubee likes this.
  5. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

Driving little back roads in Ireland with a european car was interesting. High hedgerows on on the drivers side, oncoming traffic on the passenger side, and what seemed like an insanely high speed limit for roads that couldn't have been more than about 4 feet wide... Missus Aroo may have been terrified, but she didn't let on.

Stubee likes this.
  6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The late mrs ping-ping and I got into out blue 67' volkswagen beetle early one very quiet sunday morning to a large empty parking lot as she wanted me to teach her to drive. I figured that it was a case of low blood sugar and suggested that we go and have a nice breakfast at a local favorite the served homestyle cooking generous portions great coffee and both the customers and the staff were very kicked back very casual.
    Her father taught her how to drive which was never mentioned.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. ping-ping-clicka

Don't allow me to remarry, It means if I should try, it is a cry for "they shoot horses don't they" mercy.
    000  red pill blue pill.jpg

8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When Mrs. Roadie starts with that stuff, I just look at her and say "if you wanted to drive, you should have said something before we left the house".

I may be invited to perform an unspeakable act upon myself, but she shuts up...

Stubee likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

I hope you enjoyed the breakfast! Oddly enough, my wife and I are joining up with some of our family to celebrate her brother's birthday at just such a restaurant as you mention! I'm looking forward to some steak and eggs with biscuits and gravy! It's best when people learn to drive from anyone other than one's self! The blame man, it lasts forever!

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  10. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

My wife has been driving since very young on a hardship license. On the other hand, I started later in my teens after moving back to the US. She's the better driver, prefers to drive, and knows the town inside and out from living here since she was 2. I am good with it and try not to say anything. Every once in a while I can't help but say "green light" or reaching for a non-existent brake pedal...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Ah, that green light thing. My wife does that. I personally know people who intentionally run red lights counting on the slight pause between changes to save them. Why I haven't a clue, but they've related that to me. Personally I think they're insane. My wife often says the split second the light turns green IT'S GREEN! I on the other hand am still scanning traffic for the red light runner. Presumably when she shouts green I should initiate and immediate jack rabbit start! I have explained at least ten thousand times why it is not a good idea to immediately set the vehicle in motion as if it were a countdown light at a drag race, but to no avail. There is always hope.l

Oddly enough, when SHE'S driving, she is always cautious of the light change. It just seems to be a thing when I'M driving.

12. ping-ping-clicka

enjoy your breakfast (do they make home fries?) howdie there, been out shooting links of lately? I'll bet the weather is perfect for below par after cocktails , do you pause at the clubhouse for a beverage and maybe a bite to eat after a perfectly ruined walk.;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Sometimes we have a bite to eat after a round. Most of the courses we play have excellent dining facilities. The weather is perfect here today. Yesterday though the weather report only gave a high of 70 was actually near 80 degrees. Perfect, perfect golf weather. My son and I were out to the course yesterday. I seldom go more than a few days without playing golf. The place where we are eating thins morning, and I'm going to have to get ready right away, is well known for those who have a red necked Okie influence in their diet! :lol::lol:

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  14. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

My wife is the worst right seat driver. She drives like a paranoid, little old lady, and she expects me to drive the same way. She's always telling me to slow down, and I'm always telling her to be quiet.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Several years ago, over in the night we were slipping out across the New Mexico desert with my sister in law onboard. She was in the backseat my wife was asleep in the front, and I had a clear road in all directions. My sis in law asked me how fast I was going, I said seventy five. She piped right back, well I got you at 94 on my Garmin! I said, silly girl, you can't believe those things.

16. ping-ping-clicka

ah, my mom was a terrible redneck,.. no really she was, she to the right Norman Lincoln Rockwell and George Wallace but she was raised on a farm and knew how to feed folks before they went off to work.
    She didn't play golf. She wasn't an okie, she migrated from Alberta Canada, had to become a citizen.
    70 f is way too hot to think about go outside: 55 or 60 is do-able here . I lived in the Pomona Valley as a kid and it was 100 by 11a.m. or 12 , 110 -115 later on
    sarcastically "oh it's not bad once you get used to it, you'll get used to it " my rosie red bottom , get used to it!!
    Do I look like a alligator lizard or a rattlesnake?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Don't wish or try or hope too much. Just keep at doing right things. I was just starting to get it together at your age. I met my wife after I figured such a thing would never happen. Good luck.

cat dude likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

That first step is moving out of your folks basement.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  19. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My wife just gasps when she thinks I'm driving too fast, following too close, etc. She almost never gives spoken advice.

She has "starry" vision, so she won't drive at night and she spent the first half of her life in Georgia and won't venture out if there's any snow on the ground.

I drive but I still have to put up with the gasps. I don't mind snow or ice, especially since I went with a Subaru on my last auto purchase. I know how to trail brake, but I've never demonstrated it to my wife.

Harmony - I just keep my mouth shut and drive like a senior citizen is supposed to.

20. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

All I have to do to prove the genuineness of my love for my wife is to drive her anywhere, ever. The fact that I bring her back at all, let alone alive, speaks for itself. Virtually any other sane, balanced human being, male or female, would throw her out (and then perhaps back up over her) for the crap she dishes out from the passenger seat. It's funny--for about 1 minute--because it's so insane, but after about 60 seconds, holy hell. Sometimes I have her sit in the back seat, and that helps. And I'm not being cruel or chauvinistic and arrogant or fussy here. Come with us sometime and see for yourself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.