LR Baggs Para DI Problem?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by milocj, Oct 16, 2015.

1. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

So I picked up a used Para DI off of EBay or Reverb because I couldn't find one local to try and I don't want or need one badly enough to pay new prices. I do, however, want to be able to try to be able to make my acoustics sound better through my amps or a PA. I have a Lyric microphone in my old Country Western, and whatever Epiphone uses in their acoustics with the volume, bass, and treble controls in the soundhole rim.

Both sound fairly good through a guitar amp, but not as good with my guitar settings when switching to acoustic. The issue or question I have is that the Baggs Para DI seems to cut the volume on both acoustics compared to using them direct into the amps. They're both active systems with batteries if that makes any difference, and I have the same issue with either guitar.

I've read the manual, according to the light I have a strong battery, and all the controls seem to function properly, but I get a pretty big volume reduction through the Para. Has anybody who uses one of these had the same experience, or can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

I don't have easy access to a PA to try using the XLR and phantom power.

Thanks.

2. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Have you tweaked the gain control a little bit? That little control? Doesn't take much.

I only have passive pups but the two guitars vary greatly on what gain is needed to get it up there without too much.

3. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I did try the small gain knob, but it didn't seem to make a big difference. There was a small dot painted on the trim pot at about 75% level which I assume was the PO's preferred setting. The online manual I found seemed to have much lower settings recommended for their passive systems and both of mine are active.

I had to increase the volume on both amps I tried it through quite a bit (one to the point where it was hissing), and when removing the Baggs unit the guitars themselves were at feedback volume levels. I guess I'll have to mess with it some more in the next couple of days and try a known brand new battery, but I thought the battery I used was near new and the power light was flashing to indicate it was low.

4. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yeah, a low battery will give a very weak output.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.