1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

LPish Tele suggestions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Capel, Apr 15, 2009.

1. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

I think it does have some importance, but what I think is more important is neck angle, especially for feel.

2. uOpt

uOpt Tele-Meister

I see several problems with this project.

A thin flat maple veneer is not the same thing as a carved maple top. If you don't want to go through the trouble of carving one I would rather go with pure a pure mahogany body, and it must be closer to 2" than 1-3/4". A thin veneer can easily be nothing else than a dampener. I would give it a LP-ish look with body binding.

You need to be careful about the APH pickups. They sound great, sure, but the bridge pickup is much brighter than a person who casually picks up Gibson Les Pauls in a shop expects. Better ask that person which LP specifically he liked. Your choice of pickup will be the most important factor in his/her judgement whether the guitar came out "correctly". The APH neck is comparable to a 490R and most LPs have the 490R, so that should be fine.

You might want to consider a high neck angle and a tune-o-matic with stop tailpiece. A string-through body will change things. For a flat bridge the Schaller flatmount is probably better. Looks better, too.

Whether a mahogany neck is required or not is a different matter, it's probably less important than the other factors.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.