1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

LPB over Sunburst (relic) - best approach

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Tele Dad, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Tele Dad

Tele Dad TDPRI Member

Hello finishing experts,
    I am attempting a finish similar to the picture, and was looking for advice.

What do people think is the best approach? should I:

finish the guitar in my 3 color sunburst all the way to the clear coats and wet sanding before adding the LPB? Or do I not need to go that far?

Should i completely cover the sunburst with LPB and then sand back the blue? If so, what type of sandpaper would be best to just get the blue and leave the sunburst?

Alternately, do I try to mask off the spots where I want the sunburst to come through? That seems less likely to work.

Anyone else ever attempt this finish and have any advice? I’m just having some fun with this and filling some hours, but it would be great to end up with a cool guitar at the end!

thanks in advance!
    FD007438-5B59-4E74-9096-DBA34DBC9E7E.jpeg

68Telebass likes this.
  2. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

That does look cool!!!
    All good questions!! I am no help, but am curious how to do something like that.

3. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

You are going to want to clear coat, this will act as a sealer coat — a buffer between the SB and LPB. You don't need/want to completely wetsand and buff, just knock it back a little...since the first step of spraying the LPB over the SB would have been to scuff up the clear/paint. And remember, Fender sprayed solid over SB mistakes, so the SB coat doesn't have to be prefect.

With the sealer coat in place, you can sand back the LPB down to the sealer coat where you want the SB exposed, then sand your way down and through the SB where you want the wood exposed. Medium grit for heavy wear (the finer grits to smooth), fine grit for light wear.

No.

Distressing (as it's called in the art and furniture world) isn't something you do once, you have to work your way up to it. It takes practice, trial and error, experience with how the materials behave, and a feel for the process. Even if someone gives you their exact recipe, you still have to develop a tactile sense of how the process actually works (and learn from a few mistakes).

Buy scrap lumber, sand it to 400, and practice spraying and sanding. You can even buy a cheap unfinished bodies from eBay for $35 for practice without worry. You don't have to spray the whole body, just parts for tests, and you can sand back and do again.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Fretting out and EsquireBoy like this.
  4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

I had a heavy relic CS strat that was Sea Foam Green over SB, and you definitely could see the clear coat where the sunburst was exposed at the arm wear area.

What you want is a heavy relic, and IME these are the hardest to make look convincing. As @Wyatt said, you definitely want to practice before performing. Good luck with your project!

Fretting out likes this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

You’ll probably want to spray a final coat of yellowed lacquer over the lpb so you get that look of wear going into newly exposed Lpb (how it goes from dark lpb to light)

As others say practice practice and practice, It could take a person years to learn how to make an authentic looking relic

So don’t expect it to be perfect right of the bat

Good luck, hope you post pictures

EsquireBoy likes this.
  6. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

BTW, my theory is that Leo's boys did not bother with a sealer coat, they just went from botched SB to solid. Which is why you rarely see those big patches of SB showing through on real '60s Fenders. Instead, the SB would have worn with the solid and only be visual at the very edge of the wear. Solid over SB was something discovered/documented more by refinishers than from normal wear.

In the case of relics, you want to see that SB and need the sealer coat.

7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

If a technique for distressed furniture will carry over, clear over the SB will give you a safety layer when you're sanding back the color, you hit the clear and stop.

8. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Looks like a waste of paint just spray the parts that you want to show through then mask them up and spray the top colour i am sure a frugal Mr Fender would agree with that

9. Tele Dad

Tele Dad TDPRI Member

Thanks guys!! Great advice.

I spent the unseasonably warm weather prepping everything, but might need to wait for spring to spray so lots of time to research/practice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.