LP-style Wiring help

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'm hoping this is a simple question, although it comes with a lengthy explanation. I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to wiring, but I can solder and I can follow a wiring diagram, so I have been able to make most simple mods myself. But now I have gotten myself into a puzzle I cannot solve.

I picked up this Keisel LP-style guitar which is really nice, but has all aftermarket pickups and wiring which give it a certain sound I really don't want. After swapping different bits and pieces (and somehow damaging one of the push-pull pots in the process), I'm still not satisfied. The guy I bought it from gave me the original wiring harness, which is still intact. And I have replacement pickups all ready to go. So rather than try to wire the pickups into the new wiring arrangement (which does not resemble ANY of the wiring diagrams I have found), and having to replace the broken push-pull pot, it will be simpler for me to drop the original harness back in and wire the new pups into that.

Here is my question: The original Keisel harness does not seem to resemble any common 2-HB wiring diagram that I have found, either. See pic below. There are three bare wires. The black one is ground and will go to the jack. But I have a blue wire coming from a lug of the bridge volume pot, and a white wire coming from a lug of the neck volume pot. Where should these go?
IMG_9727.JPG

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I would make sure it is wired like one or the other of these. If it involves moving a wire or two...so be it.

( I suspect the word lever should be toggle based on the drawing)

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
the bare wires are ground...

but I'm with Marty... the difference in the voice originating from the original circuit and one of the gibsonesque ones is pretty much nill... just go wityh the typicak Gibson circuit adn rock on..

r

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
The blue and white wires are the hot leads from each of the pickups. Here is a wiring schematic for the usual two humbucker guitar. he push pull switches give you some sort of additional effect, probably "coil tapping" which just grounds one of the two coils in each pup to give you single coil like sounds.

1658763329357.png

Since you are more or less starting from scratch consider this wiring modification.

1658763443312.png

With normal LP wiring if you have the switch in the center position and turn one of the volume pots all the way down it kills both pickups, with the modification it will blend both pickups.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
The blue and white wires are the hot leads from each of the pickups. Here is a wiring schematic for the usual two humbucker guitar. he push pull switches give you some sort of additional effect, probably "coil tapping" which just grounds one of the two coils in each pup to give you single coil like sounds.

View attachment 1008890

Since you are more or less starting from scratch consider this wiring modification.

View attachment 1008891

With normal LP wiring if you have the switch in the center position and turn one of the volume pots all the way down it kills both pickups, with the modification it will blend both pickups.
I’m not trying to argue I’m just wondering-I don’t notice any coil splitting options in these diagrams (I apologize if you were referring to his pictures of the volume and tone pots as I do see the coil splitters there )
and both the hum bucker’s appear to be single conductor with a ground/shield, although that may be represented better by some of the color drawings, or the ones with better detail, to make it easier for the original poster.

Did a ImageSearch of the exact model not turn up anything? Sometimes it can help to change browsers.

Definitely bare wires are ground. Could it be the colored pigtails correspond to the original pick ups? Maybe the original owner left them there for bread crumb remembrances?

Big ups for the suggestion of the independent volume control! I switched one of my Les Paul style guitars to 50’s But forgot to switch the ins and outs on the volumes, and wondered why one volume would turn off both pick ups in the middle position. Thanks for that.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
To coil split (aka coil tap) you need humbucking pickups with four wires brought out - that gives you access to the connection between the two coils. "Splitting" or "tapping" the pickup means the you bring that connection to ground - the cuts one of the coils out and makes the pickup act like a single coil. On many pickups (including SD) those are the red and white wires - for normal humbucking you just solder them together and insulate. To split you take that connect to one pole of your switch, the other goes to ground.

Here is a StewMac diagram with coil split switches

1658867200061.png

Its entirely possible that the switches on your pots were intended for some other function, there are all kinds of weird wiring things people like to do. There are a bazillion wiring schemes out there, you asked for basic LP wiring which is what I gave you. If you only have a hot and a ground from your 'buckers you can't split them.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
I’m not trying to argue I’m just wondering-I don’t notice any coil splitting options in these diagrams (I apologize if you were referring to his pictures of the volume and tone pots as I do see the coil splitters there )
and both the hum bucker’s appear to be single conductor with a ground/shield, although that may be represented better by some of the color drawings, or the ones with better detail, to make it easier for the original poster.

Did a ImageSearch of the exact model not turn up anything? Sometimes it can help to change browsers.

Definitely bare wires are ground. Could it be the colored pigtails correspond to the original pick ups? Maybe the original owner left them there for bread crumb remembrances?

Big ups for the suggestion of the independent volume control! I switched one of my Les Paul style guitars to 50’s But forgot to switch the ins and outs on the volumes, and wondered why one volume would turn off both pick ups in the middle position. Thanks for that.

One volume turned off both pickups? Isn't that how you do the easy stutter effect? I don't use it often, so I forget how to do it without a guitar in my hands.

Edit: yep. That's it. I thought that was normal operation for 50s wiring?