1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

LP Jr DC type thing

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by CraigB, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

More than one way to skin that cat! ;)

CraigB likes this.
  2. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Oh Jup, you and your high-protein diet....

Treadplatedual, CraigB and nosmo like this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

donut is a protein right?

Treadplatedual and CraigB like this.
  4. Barncaster

Is that the name of your cat?

Treadplatedual and CraigB like this.
  5. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

6. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

I think I'll go with something like this

[​IMG]

Treadplatedual, Jupiter and Zepfan like this.
  7. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

The soapbar covers were a little tight in the template set I bought on the top and bottom, but there was plenty of wiggle room side-to-side. Shimmed it and cut a slight angle in the sides on the router table, then flipped it over and ran the bearing along the cut portion to make it flush.

[​IMG]

That opened it just enough so the covers have room to move freely

[​IMG]

The plan and template set I'm working off of is for 24.562" scale. Tweaked the measurements to accommodate 24.75" scale and used a leftover piece of poplar to make a template for two pickups.

[​IMG]

The front route is clearance for the end of the fretboard after the neck is glued in. Spliced in a scrap of 1/4" so the template clears the fretboard and will sit flat on the body and gives support for the router base.

[​IMG]

Made the opening wide so I can make minor adjustments side-to-side where the pickup routes need to go on the body in relation to the neck and where the bridge winds up.

[​IMG]

While I still had a little daylight, I got the pickguard template cut and shaped on the ROSS

[​IMG]

I think the neck is ready to be glued in.

[​IMG]

I would've glued it in already, my only hesitation is the end of the tenon still needs to be cut flush with the top of the body. I'm thinking I'll just make a cutout on the other end of the pickup template that matches the tenon, clamp it on and route it flush after it's glued in. Thoughts?

EDIT: The Fletcher video Part 4 at around 6:15

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not sure what you are asking regarding thoughts, but here's mine. If you have a two pickup template made that fits over the fretboard when it's glued in, I'd glue the neck in, then rout the pickup cavities out. I've done the same kind of thing myself before. It'll probably make the tenon shorter, Which is what happened when Gibson made them too.

post 13 below

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/new-lp-jr-dcs-at-ams.109121/

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/thoughts-on-improving-the-59-special-dc-neck.367936/

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    CraigB likes this.
  9. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Marty! My post probably wasn't very clear...Just need to flush trim where the tenon sticks out so the template will lay flat on the body. It is flush with the top of the body at the end of the fretboard and angles up to about 1/8" proud at the heel. Fletcher uses a trim router affixed to a sled thingy to bring it flush.

[​IMG]

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

CraigB likes this.
  11. GotTheSilver

GotTheSilver Tele-Meister

I've just used a palm sander.

CraigB likes this.
  12. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Glued and clamped for the night

[​IMG]

Still had some leftover squeezeout after I pulled the tape off the heel, so I used a damp rag to clean it off.

[​IMG]

13. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

The neck angle looks good. Stacked a couple iTunes cards under the bridge, just a smidge higher than it would be with the adjustment posts screwed down all the way. The string action is just a little lower than where it'll be set for playing. Fretted the E strings all the way up the neck, none of the notes fretted out. Shouldn't need much leveling. Used a center punch to mark the spot for the bushings

[​IMG]

Checked string angle to the tuners. I like this better than the angle on my goldtop LP kit build and Epi LP.

[​IMG]

14. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Drilled for the bridge bushings

[​IMG]

A little rewind...made a hole for the ground wire. Imagine that, I remembered before pressing in the bushing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you...I managed not to screw that up, slips right into place. Tuned up the E strings, they're in the ballpark for intonation

[​IMG]

And checked for continuity....beeeeep :D

[​IMG]

15. Barncaster

Looking good Craig!

CraigB likes this.
  16. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Rob! All these other steps are a nuisance. All I care about right now is pickup routes ;)

Barncaster and Treadplatedual like this.
  17. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Not a bad day, it was on and off raining all day so I had to move back and forth between the front porch and the garage. Moving right along to the porch, I tried out the new Ridgid trim router to flush the tenon to the top of the body. I like it

[​IMG]

Back to the garage, hogged out the pickup cavities

[​IMG]

Back to the porch, some more routing. I started out using the trim router, but I really feel more comfortable using the plunger router for doing this, so switched out the bit to finish with that

[​IMG]

Then felt a little painted into a corner. How the heck do I get the wire channel for the neck pickup to the control cavity? Not through the pickup route like I was able to for the bridge pickup. Duh...jack hole.

[​IMG]

That was just a little nerve-wracking. Who knows where the bit is wandering? It squeaked and binded up but it finally broke on through to the other side at the very bottom of the route, thankfully not through the top somewhere. I had to drill a little deeper than the route with a forstner to get the wire to push through. Not the prettiest solution, but there it is

[​IMG]

Ooh, G90's. I cannot wait to hear these!

[​IMG]

18. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

with those p90s... I be that thing is going to sound great. nice work.

CraigB likes this.
  19. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

This is awesome, I'm loving the process! :D Can't wait to see it finished/hear those pickups in action.

CraigB likes this.
  20. Barncaster

Those aren’t quite P90s. They are custom fabbed. You are looking at steel base plates and garolite top flatwork with polymer magnets epoxied in between all wrapped with 45AWG min build poly. Essentially you are looking at DeArmond gold foils in a P90 form factor, hence the G90 name. Sweeeeet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.