1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

LP Jr DC type thing

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by CraigB, Dec 26, 2018.

1. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

I love Tru-Oil, in fact, I'd do the whole neck with it, but I'm pretty sure we can no longer get it in California. That's just crazy, I've applied it inside the house when you could still get it here. It's not like squirting a bunch of lacquer in the air or painting a car on the front lawn, or even worse spraying 3M Super 77 to do a tolex job on an amp. Now that stuff is nasty...

But this gives me an idea Jup. I used this stuff called Tried and True (it's some sort of boiled linseed stuff with beeswax in) to finish the wenge knobs and pickup rings Herb made for me on a prior build, a few coats and burnish with a t-shirt and it's super smooth. If I taped off the headstock and shot the rest of the guitar with lacquer first, then did the headstock last, I think that might be a way to go.

I love the way that headstock looks on your 335, it's just beautiful, along with the rest of it of course. Thanks for that suggestion!

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks!
    I've used something called OSMO Dekorwax that you might be able to get. It's like Carnauba wax in a solvent/vehicle. You smear it on and then wipe off the excess.

The wiping part gets to be pretty strenuous if you wait too long...

[​IMG]

CraigB likes this.
  3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Ahhh yes,thank Gov Moonbeam and the moron state, who has determined everything in the world to cause cancer,except for NAPA wine of course lol.Uggg, my point, there a picturesque town on the Cali border called Pahrump Nev. who seem to have a great abundance of PO Boxes anyone can use.If the Cali highway patrol is at the state line suspecting you of evil intent just make a youie and have a leisurely lunch at Peg's Diner (and don't forget a slice of the apple pie!).But at some point leave peacefully with your booty in hand lol

giphy.gif

Barncaster, Newbcaster and CraigB like this.
  4. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

I'm also working on a LP DC build, but haven't decided which of the two variations of the shape to go with. Looks like one requires a pickguard to cover the neck route and the other doesn't.

Gibson-USA-Les-Paul-Special-Double-Cut-2015-951-YT_01.jpg

gibson_lp-60-spec-dc-tvyell7.jpg

5. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Hey ppg677, that guitar in the top pic is interesting. Would you happen to know who makes that? The geometry of the neck/body joint and shape of cutouts is a bit different than the Gibson's. The section of the tenon after the end of the fretboard must be shorter, so the neck pickup route consumes it and makes it invisible. The only downside I can see to that (maybe, maybe not) is the access to the highest frets, but it sure looks nice with no pickguard, though.

I am not too fond of the shape of the guard on the Gibson, that's gotta go...but more importantly, I'm also wondering about the placement of the neck pickup. Is it pushed further away from the end of the fretboard purely for structural reasons? That's definitely a question I need to figure out the answer to before I go hogging out the soapdishes :D

6. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

It looks like Gibson makes it. I'm considering going with that style because I can avoid a pickguard. Also the neck and bridge pickup appear to have more spacing which probably results in more tonal variation. Though like you said, access to the higher frets is a bit compromised.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...on-les-paul-special-double-cut-2018-tv-yellow

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-les-paul-special-double-cut-heritage-cherry-2015

CraigB likes this.
  7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

It's a Gibson. It'll be my first Gibson style build when I can get to it. The neck/body joint appears to be more of a 335 design from what I've figured out. At least that's what I'm going to try. I personally don't really like the looks of the neck joint of the other. - especially the pickguard.

A few more pics:
    gibson-les-paul-special-double-cut-2015-heritage-cherry.jpg
    And the carved top version:

LP_DC_Std_Plus_Black.jpg

CraigB likes this.
  8. olddawg2

olddawg2 TDPRI Member

ABC2D500-D3BE-4DFA-B2EA-D2F377ED8A01.jpeg I build one last year. Still haven’t got around to painting the headstock and putting on the decal.

Barncaster and CraigB like this.
  9. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

I couldn't put my finger on why I like this bunch of folks... but now I can. there's a mild seditiousness that runs thru here on THD...

love it.

When I read this post I wanted to jump into a semi with a basset hound and yell Breaker Breaker 1 9....

Wasn't there an am radio guy, once moved to the Phillippines and then came back to broadcast out of Pahrump....???

I got so mad one night I called in. Did an episode about how shocked he was that he never knew that Jesus had a brother. He had a couple....

Treadplatedual likes this.
  10. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Well, should've done my homework a little better! A closer look at the lower cutaway and neck heel, on that model it tapers just like my goldtop LP and Epi Standard LP, so access to the highest frets should be about the same as playing one of those. Certainly nothing wrong with that!

11. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Agreed, that definitely has a nicer look! I won't be using that shape for a pickguard. But I'm still unsure about where to place the neck pickup. Mr. Fletcher's two-pickup model places it right at the end of the fretboard, but it seems like that would remove more of the gluing surfaces of the joint. So now I'll be overthinking that for a day or two...at least :rolleyes:

12. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Very nice!

13. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Art Bell lol ;)

And Christ had 7 siblings all told, all younger and some NOT the best of friends

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    CraigB and Newbcaster like this.
  14. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

I read somewhere that Birchwood Casey simply doesn't bother putting in the paperwork for California.
    The bottom one has a 24-fret neck which probably gives ample gluing surface without tapering the cutouts like the EP. I think that's what I'm going to go with.

Treadplatedual and CraigB like this.
  15. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

I figured it was because it's gun finish and that word scares most of the people in Cali......

:rolleyes:

CraigB likes this.
  16. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

@CraigB, if you take the 335 plan and the LP Special plan and overlay the neck joint from the 335 onto the LP it appears to work. The neck tenon goes right into the pickup cavity and the extra meat coming from the tapered 335 body/pocket style. The neck pickup has to be moved to the end of the fretboard if you don't want a pickguard.

Attached Files:

CraigB likes this.
  17. Jupiter

One of the headaches of a 335 is that the tenon leaves a “lip” on three sides where it meets the body, and personally it was a nightmare getting those all perfectly mated at the heel. Took me a few days with diamond files and strips of sand paper to get the right...

On the Special, the nice thing is that you only have to mate the sides to the body because the heel is flush with the bottom of the tenon; the nice thing about the (DC) Jr plans I’ve seen is that you only have to mate the heel (bottom) part to the body, because the sides of the neck are flush with the tenon (yep it’s a WWWIIIDE tenon).

CraigB likes this.
  18. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

With a full-width tenon and without a pickguard, the gap may be visible, right?

Whereas a tenon that is narrower than the fretboard will have the gap covered (by the fretboard) but then you have to deal with the angled tenon cheeks....right?

CraigB likes this.
  19. Jupiter

Yep.

Pretty strong argument for a pickguard... :D

CraigB likes this.
  20. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

Well a PRS guitar apparently uses a full-width tenon without a pickguard!

CraigB likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.