1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

LP Jr DC type thing

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by CraigB, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Where are you getting maple wide enough to do 335s?

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I did not laminate the plates myself (or carve them for that matter). There are a few people who have made the molds and have the vacuum bagging equipment to make the plates, I simply bought a couple of them.

IMG_2389.JPG

Cheating? Yes, but otherwise I wouldn't have been able to built them.

3. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Radiused board to 12".

[​IMG]

The granadillo works nice, doesn't clog the sandpaper too much, and it has a pleasant smell. Used a .020 nut file to clean out the slots and then a few swipes with a triangle file

[​IMG]

The end of the fretboard was taller than my binding at the center line, so laminated a strip of thin binding to the bottom so it sits just proud

[​IMG]

Let it set for a little while and trimmed with a razor saw

[​IMG]

Then glued on the binding with super thin CA. The miters turned out pretty good!

[​IMG]

4. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Fret tang nippers would've been nice for this. Time consuming with the flush cutters and file! Only four left to go

[​IMG]

Not sure, but I think even with the tang nipper tool some filing may be required? But anyway, this oughta work, and they're all done

[​IMG]

Radiused them individually, then pressed in to make sure there was no twisting of the wire when I was bending to shape.

[​IMG]

Hope to get some frets pressed tonight after work :D

5. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister

How did you radius them individually? Do you have a jig or just play it by eye with your fingers?

Cheers,

Alberto

CraigB likes this.
  6. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I just grip the tang right at the base of the fret with the flush cutters starting at either side of the middle of the fret length, say two-thirds of the way in, bend downward a tiny bit, slide over a little, bend a little more, and repeat until I get the shape I want.

Made a bender similar to one of those SM fretbenders a few years back, which is definitely a time-saver, but I can only get it adjusted for tighter radii for fretting 7.25" and 9.5" boards. So I decided just to eye-ball it for this.

betocool likes this.
  7. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Fretting without the board glued to the neck first is a new one for me. Good Lord, that thing back-bowed to the point I thought it might snap. Is this how it's supposed to look? Thankfully, they all seated nice, but it got harder past the 12th fret to get them started with the hammer before pressing.

[​IMG]

Glued the fretboard on

[​IMG]

And out of the clamps this morning

[​IMG]

A silly mistake, I routed the binding channel before cutting the neck pocket.

[​IMG]

So when the neck pocket was cut, wound up with a chamfer at the edges of the body where the neck goes in. But at least the fit is good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

That is coming along very nicely. I can't wait to see it finished.
    What woods did you use for body and neck?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  9. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

That’s pretty slick using runners to keep the sanding block captive for radius sanding. I’m going to borrow that idea!

10. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Laminated strips of sapele for the neck, granadillo fretboard and honduras mahogany body. Have a piece of ebony for the headstock face

It's easier than trying to keep it going straight by sight, saw other forum members did it with guide runners, figured it was a good one to borrow too!

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah man, fretting a bound board is like the most tedious job in the universe. I’ll never bind a neck again. Yours looks sweet though!

CraigB likes this.
  12. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Jup! On the tedious scale, it's up there...the only other bound neck I did, I swore never again, which I didn't remember until it was too late to turn back on this one!

13. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Binding the body didn't go quite so well. The piece I got from LMII didn't reach around the body, but I had some left over from the neck. I figured I could just splice in the extra piece, but when I did, the white center pieces didn't line up together :rolleyes: Ordered some more and got out the binding laminator thingy.

[​IMG]

I'm going to see how black .04 and white .02 will look. Also got a few pieces of .02 black so I can do b/w/b.

Rain forecasted through the weekend, so no dust-making...bummer.

BluesBlooded likes this.
  14. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Looks fantastic, I wish I had those skills.

CraigB likes this.
  15. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Decided to go with b/w/b. I have had more than a few moments with binding, especially going around tight curves and keeping it pushed all the way to the bottom of the channel. This time seemed to go slightly smoother. A little less glue, and wiping the squeeze-out off as I went minimized the mess to clean up later. As you can see from the scraps, there was more than enough to make it all the way around

[​IMG]

Tape off this morning. The wet spot is CA. When I pulled the first piece of tape, a nice little ribbon of mahogany peeled off. I was able to separate it from the tape with an xacto and glue it back down. Other than that, it went swimmingly

[​IMG]

Of course, there's always a wrinkle...literally

[​IMG]

So I'm stuck with a little wavy spot in the white layer. Thinking I should make up some black goop and kind of fill the low spots of the wrinkle, let it harden and scrape flush to avoid risk of scraping through to the white.

16. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Nice job Craig, The LP jr DC, is one of my favorite shapes of guitars. Looking great!

CraigB likes this.
  17. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Andre!

Top cleaned up nice.

[​IMG]

A couple swipes with sandpaper and applied a little of the goop. I made it as pasty as possible and then held it on the spatula until it was almost un-spreadable. Hopefully it'll harden to a consistency that'll allow for scraping. On prior goop fills I've had to do, it seemed to harden kinda spongy, probably too much acetone to plastic ratio.

[​IMG]

Pleased with the tight turns, no gaps!

[​IMG]

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

One thing I learned this time around about binding goop is that it's best just to let the binding melt with the acetone without stirring/mixing. I put a fair amount of actone in my jar with the binding chips, but once the binding was softened I just poured the excess acetone out and then scooped the goo. It seemed to prevent the bubbles...

Barncaster, CraigB and BluesBlooded like this.
  19. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, Jup, that really makes sense, because the prior times I've melted binding chips to make goo I was stirring and swishing the acetone around in the jar, thinking the agitation would help it melt faster. Probably the source of the air bubbles.

And without the benefit of that sage advice in advance, luckily, did just that: Cut up of bunch of scraps, threw it into a mason jar poured acetone in, screwed the lid tight, and went off to work on something else while it melted. No stirring :D

There's still a small irregularity visible, but it's looking much better now. Don't want to introduce any more acetone into the equation, so I think I'll try leveling the last little blip with some z-poxy.

And of course, here you can see the lovely chamfer in the mortise. At least it's even on both sides.

[​IMG]

Hasn't been much I can get done as far as making dust, just little things I can do inside, like side dots. Not too bad, except one of the dots is a little crooked from the other at the 12th fret.

[​IMG]

One of the first things I thought of when I started ordering parts - "What am I going to do for a pickup?" That turned into considering the tonal limitations of a single p'up guitar, so a Special DC it is. That led me back to the original question - "What am I going to do for pickups?" The idea was like an epiphany - Summon the clan in Northern CA and request to do a little horse-trading!

The response back was direct and to the point:

"We have no use for a horse here. Send beer. Imported lager preferred."

After a few days I received a post-card confirming the delivery

[​IMG]

A few days later, nicely packaged and wrapped securely in the trademark blue tape, these babies arrived

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmm, G90s...can't wait to hear what he's cooked up!

20. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

That's really coming together nicely Craig. Can't wait to do a LP Jnr someday.

CraigB likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.