1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

LP Gold Top Static Crackling Issue, Help

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by sax4blues, Jan 19, 2021.

1. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

In the last week I purchased a new 2020 LP Standard 50's Gold Top. I have a lot of static crackling, more with amp/pedals, less but still present with modeler. I've tried the lite dryer sheet treatment, official guitar finish cleaner/polish. New strings have been installed. The static is all over the guitar, sliding on the strings, on the neck edges as I contact frets, and on the body.

I don't have this problem with any other guitars.

Is this relevant to a brand new guitar? Gold Top? Is this a shielding defect which should be fixed?

I do live in Colorado and winter is very dry with high static. I do have a humidifier running.

2. JMac52

JMac52 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Common problem with these. I had a 2018 LP Classic and I live in Arizona. The problem lessened over time, but was still there when I sold it a year later. I currently have an LP I built from a kit with a satin finish that crackles to a much lesser degree. Two things I’ve found that help: 1) apply moisturizer to your hands before playing, and 2) don’t try to make it happen by, you know, running your hands up and down the neck and saying “look ma!”. You’re only making it worse by building up more static charge.

3. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I have a LP Studio from 2012 that had that problem. It went away by itself after a couple of years.

Has something to do with paint Gibson uses holds a static charge. If you keep it out of the plush lined case it helps. Hardshell lined case builds up static on the paint. Also don't play on rugs.

Rubber shoes, dryer sheet etc - all useless. I lined the cavity and switch with aluminum foil and think that helped slighly...sometimes.

4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I have a 2018 LP Junior, same issue. It's lessened a lot over the past year, but when I first got it I re-wired it twice, unaware of the nitro/static issue with Gibsons.

My suggestion would be to consider a humidifier or else just play it a bunch and it will go away on its own for the most part... eventually.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.