LP Ace Frehley copy

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by stormsedge, Jan 8, 2020.

1. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

This LP copy on our local CL for $250. Dolled up a bit over the real Gibson. Anyone seen one like it? Thoughts?

IMG_0896.JPG

shupe13 and duzie like this.
  2. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

$250? If it was close by, I'd go check it out!

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

That’s a replica ( I use the term loosely) of an actual gibson they made 10 years ago or so the real ones are worth probably 9-12000 dollars or so

They also made an epiphone

I just looked them up and you can get these new from China for 250 dollars

If it was free I don’t know if I’d take it just on principle

Skydog1010 and corliss1 like this.
  4. stormsedge

I may yet. It has been on CL since Christmas, maybe before.

5. stormsedge

Yes, the real ones are way up there...I ran across one marked at $35K. Not for me, but this one looks interesting and would fill the LP itch.

6. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I’d be wary of it
    If you do check it out make sure the truss rod works and the neck isn’t twisted and that it plays all the way up and down the neck without fretting out

I’ve seen countless Chinese guitar videos where the neck is out or the scale length is wrong and they are pretty much thrown together some of them can be decent starting points though although some can be nightmares

Just make sure to use your senses when looking at it and take time with it before jumping on it even if it looks perfect at first glance

stormsedge likes this.
  7. stormsedge

Good advice. Thanks.

Fretting out likes this.
  8. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Leave it be. Chibson.

corliss1 likes this.
  9. stormsedge

LOL. I really don't have time to mess with it right now anyway. Cheers!

10. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I’d at least test it. Not like you’re rolling the dice by ordering one. Put your hands on it. You’ll know what it’s worth to you.

11. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

At this point I've had 3 Fibsons & still have 2 of them (for now). My 3 have all been as good or better than the average Epiphone (2 out of 3 came from factory with Epiphone branded parts). However I've seen some just terrible examples too.

As good as the "Copies" I've had have been, they always have something not quite right. Just off enough to get under my skin.

My Fibson Lucille is well made, but the neck joins the body at the wrong fret (for a Lucille). Having actually owned a real Lucille I miss the upper fret access of the real design.

My Fibson Les Paul Custom is another well made guitar but the scale is somewhere between 24.75 & 25.5", but not the PRS 25" scale.

I'll be moving mine along because I've acquired a few better guitars since buying them, but both are technically very good guitars worth having in your back pocket if the price is right. Just really look over the quality to make sure you aren't buying firewood with a nice paint job.

Another poster mentioned you could order a new one for $250 & that's not quite true (at least it wasn't when I looked into it). The way they do the pricing is $250 for the guitar & nearly $200 for shipping, then duties and other fees. A $250 guitar becomes double that real fast. Plus you won't get the one in the pic even though it specifically says you will (the guitar does say Gibson and isn't so saying one thing & delivering another is the game). That means you don't know if the one you ordered is any good until you own it. They say they will refund your money if there's a problem, but they don't refund shipping. That's why the guitar is so cheap and the "shipping" is so expensive. Always buy these used so you can see it first hand.
    20180130_134724.jpg
    20180601_174640.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    stormsedge likes this.
  12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I love my Gibson guitars. Chibsons normally upset me.

When I was 13 I had Ace posters all over my bedroom. At $250 I’d go check the guitar out.

My sense of childish joy has been activated! Got to admit it.

duzie likes this.
  13. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

I would pay 250 if it looked good as a hanger-but never if i needed to play it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.