1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Low wattage valve amp - advice and what have I missed ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Gregorski, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Thanks. I had a chat with someone today who tells me that the blues junior has master volume which would allow me to keep it quiet at home and still get break up sounds from it so I guess that might be an option.

2. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

A Blues Jr will not give you a blackface tone.

If budget isn’t much of a concern *don’t settle*. Hold out to get something that will nail that sound in your head. It’s out there. Go get it.

3. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I have the Tone King Gremlin, and it is perfect for home use. The two channels are great for blackface and tweed sounds. The tweed channel doesn't have a lot of headroom. But it really rocks. The black face channel offers plenty of headroom( unless you are using high output pickups ). With the attenuator, it can achieve great sounds at various volume levels. It is actually 8 watts, not 5.

Tim S likes this.
  4. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I think I'm thirding the VHT Special 6 now. It's more versatile than most low-watt amps with a standard tweed-style tone plus a fixed Blackface-type tone stack that can be toggled on and off, a 10-inch speaker instead of the usual 8, and high and low inputs plus triode/pentode operation for four distinct power levels. Well made and very affordable new or used.

TequilaCaster likes this.
  5. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

Silverface Champ all day. Such a little beast.

6. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I had the special 6 ultra, the head not the combo. I added TMB controls and ran it through a 12, it sounded great. The power scaling was a cool feature as well.

7. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Buy a used Mesa TA15. 5-15-25 watts so it will grow with you. Does BF Fender, Vox, Marshall, and Mesa amp tones. Most versatile amp ever made. No reverb or loop. Use a pedal. Love my TA15 and play it at home all the time. Great master volume.

rockhound likes this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I agree. Blues Jr. is a Fender amp but it is really not the right one for the classic Fender sound. An old fashioned Champ would be your best bet, not sure how many of them are available over on your side of the pond though.

9. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

A Champ does NOT do BF cleans any better than a Blues Junior. You need at least a Princeton or larger to get the classic blackface sparkle.

10. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Thanks, for some reason I thought it was only 5W but with the attenuation I guess it doesn’t matter and in fact more is more in that case! Would it be loud enough for jamming with others with a drummer?

Cali Dude likes this.
  11. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

I’m guessing Mesa is even more expensive than Tone King

12. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

If you play with a drummer with some dynamics, yes. However, you could run out of clean headroom. I haven't gigged that amp, but have gigged with a tweed Harvard (10watts). In a smaller to mid sized pub, it is doable. The 12" speaker puts out some good volume in that Gremlin. If you are playing with a loud band that play turned up 40+ watt amps, it won't keep up.

13. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Second time tonight I've evangelized for this handy gem:

The Ibanez TSA15.

VERY versatile, fun, and for its price, great quality.

5 or 15 watts, switchable. Not very loud at its 5w setting, nicely louder at its 15 setting, but sounds great at 15 with its volume low, too. Dead quiet in terms of hiss or hum. Very sweet Fender-style cleans. Takes pedals great.

If you get the head version, match it with whatever speaker(s) you like, in a cabinet you can buy or build. Pairs with pretty much anything, as it has 2 x 8 ohm, 2 x 16 ohm, 1 x 4 ohm, 1 x 8 ohm, and 1 x 16 ohm jacks in back.

Simple, flexible controls. The onboard TubeScreamer (TS9 circuit) is quite flexible. You can dial in playing clean so it begins to break up only when you play harder, or turn up your guitar volume's knob. So that puts a lot of control literally in your fingers. It has a useful mids-boost switch, too.

Takes a footswitch for the TS9 and mids-boost, and has an FX loop, too.

I play about 15 different guitars through it over a month or two, and it takes me just moments to dial each one in.

Check it out, and good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.