Low watt tube amp for home use recommendations

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Eastman E10, Mar 25, 2018.

1. simond

simond Tele-Holic

As you are in Australia you could check out the Strauss re issues. I think they have ironed out the bugs that the early batches had. A friend of mine has one that I have really enjoyed playing through. $500 15watt with reverb and tremolo.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Nup. No offence, he specifically asked tubes. Suggesting SS is like someone asked for fresh meat and you offered them vegan.

MusicCityGrooves and Obsessed like this.
  3. Monkey_Relish

Monkey_Relish TDPRI Member

4. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I hear you, Dacious, but I respectfully disagree. The proverbial well says, "Nothing else sounds like a tube amp"; however, with today's technology, that statement is, quite simply, not true. The point is: There are viable options to tube amps, especially right now!

Offering choices not only informs, but also educates the listener, and expands his world of knowledge.

In the end, the choice is still his, but now he has the opportunity to make a more informed decision, based upon the knowledge of those more experienced, who have "been there, done that".

Rocksteadyeddy and perttime like this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Well no, because you didn't inform, you told him black was white. You told him he can achieve tube tones without tubes - you can't.

You might achieve a tone you like, you might achieve a tone you can use, you might achieve a tone that costs less or weighs less or is simpler or naintemaince free. But it isn't tube tone.

And yes I have heard Blues Cubes and Katanas and other modellers and analogue SS amps.

stevemc likes this.
  6. FenderGuy53

Well, YES, I did. ;)

Well, YES, I did, and YES, you can. ;)

Well, of course it is! ;) If it acts like duck and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck!

Perhaps, but I suspect a "closed mind" is the culprit. You're hearing with your mind, not with your ears (my opinion).

You may want to read up on the blind amp test conducted at a NAMM show, where builders, dealers and players all got it wrong! ;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Rocksteadyeddy likes this.
  7. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

It’s not true tube tone until you’re having to bring the amp to the store because a 12ax7 imploded and left a stuck pin and glass in a socket, rendering the amp silent on one channel. In other news, guess where I’m bringing my deluxe reverb tomorrow and why?

On topic though, I think mic’d or in a band mix, it’s hard to tell the difference nowadays. Home practicing or having fun? Still there for me at least.

8. Eastman E10

Eastman E10 TDPRI Member

Some good recommendations here.
    I have seen the Strauss and Valve Heaven over here before. Looking for a combo and also a few more options than the Valve Heaven. The Strauss SRT-15 has 2 12AX7's and 2 EL84's. At $500 is it any better than the Laney? Both rated at 15 watts, Strauss has tremolo, Laney has send and return. Laney has a name brand (and reputation to uphold), Strauss is an old Aussie company who are well known for making amps in the 70's that were loud but caught fire. A local store stocks Strauss so I will check them out. Simond, have you tried the smaller 5 watt SM-C5 with only volume and tone control? Only $299. I expect these are made in China and re-badged in different countries (Belcat in UK comes to mind) - does anyone have any more info on what else they may be called? I have also seen Big White Monkey over here but they are out of Queensland and for either brand there are very limited online reviews so that leaves me with concern about reliability.
    Blues Cube hot at $769 (on sale) a bit above my price range. Local store said guys looking at tube amps are leaving with Katanas. Might have to try one and see.
    Dr Z Mini Z? The only one I saw over here is interstate at $1700, so no.
    I don't need a 'bedroom' amp. I have the THR10-C for that - quiet with decent sound at night when everyone else is asleep does a great job. Does things valves can't do for me. I can't see valves sounding that much better at such low volumes to make it worthwhile. I want this amp to pull out once a week or fortnight during the day for a bit of fun, more volume is fine, I just don't want it to be so loud before getting any break up that I would never use it. I might get away with a 30 watt amp, but would probably still be more than my needs.
    I'm keeping my eye on the classifieds but not much showing up.
    Thanks all.

9. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

I have to agree the AC10 is an awesome amp and I like it better than the Ac4. The cleans are great and the dirt is awesome. Especially with a Tele.

matrix likes this.
  10. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

Do yourself a favor and get an AC10. Go try one out. It will sell itself. The cleans and dirt are awesome. Tons of punch and chime.

BB likes this.
  11. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

As has been mentioned before Artist Guitars are pretty good suppliers. I got one of their Tweedtone 20R Amps and can’t fault it. Plenty loud if you want loud and nice and quiet when turned down. Drive channel gives break up at low volumes. Similar specs to the Blues Junior but, to my ears at least, better sounding. They have a video of it with various settings on their website. Might be worth considering. Chinese made but these days that’s not really an issue.

12. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

Ampeg Jet 12

13. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Me too. But, just like pony's, they can be tricky...

14. simond

simond Tele-Holic

No, I haven't tried any of the other Strauss's. I'm in Tassie and not close to any music shops. Have got a bunch of amps to play with though, mainly ss.

15. Eastman E10

Eastman E10 TDPRI Member

Thanks Simond. You tried the SRT-15 as it has reverb and tremolo is it similar to Vox ac15 (2 AX7's vs 3). I'm not that hot for tremolo but reverb is useful. How were the cleans?

16. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Not tube amp amp...but my little 6 watt VHT Red Line pedal amp works great for practice...and its only 30 bucks

some noodling on it through a 50 jensen speaker.

sntsvt, Georox and emisilly like this.
  17. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

It's not necessarily the Watts.

I have a 1W amp that can get pretty loud if you crank it.

I also have a 25W amp with a low gain channel that is absolutely perfect for playing a home, in the studio, or when trying to keep stage volume down.

18. markjames

markjames Tele-Meister

I have an AC4...... Can't sing its praises loudly enough! :)

19. FenderGuy53

The Roland BCH, in any of its flavors, with its scalable 30 watts, has a very traditional WYSIWYG analog control panel, and is a great choice for a solid state, ANALOG combo amp. It's a solid build with a great sound - and pedigree.

Here's a nice demo video:

The Katana 50 control panel breaks away from the "traditional" WYSIWYG control panel and requires a computer for firmware updates, pedal tweaks, etc. If you can get past those nuances, then you'll get a great sounding, solid state, DIGITAL combo amp, at a great price point.

Here's a nice demo video:

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Blackheart Little Giant with a high efficiency speaker are great!!! Chassis and transformers built to last. For ss I suggest something by Quilter. They have models that you can dial in from 1 watt on up within the amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.