Low watt tube amp for home use recommendations

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Eastman E10, Mar 25, 2018.

1. stressdoubt

stressdoubt TDPRI Member

Or just the HT1-R combo - tube driven, 1 watt with an 8 inch speaker - perfect for playing in the house. Oh and don’t think 1 watt = quiet as this thing punches way above its weight in terms of volume - sounds lovely when you crank it on the clean channel and roll the volume off on your guitar so it’s just breaking up

Bill and emisilly like this.
  2. guitar0621

guitar0621 Tele-Meister

As others have said, if you aren't concerned with brand name the Monoprice 15w is the best deal out there by far.

gobi_grey and PingGuo like this.
  3. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

For home use i would suggest an amp you can switch down to 1watt. That’s plenty loud

Bill and MilwMark like this.
  4. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

I find that my new Marshall DSL1 is about right for apartment level playing - when I put it in the Low Power mode which is supposed to be 0.1W, or so.

MilwMark and ftbtx like this.
  5. Eastman E10

Eastman E10 TDPRI Member

Yes, I saw the Tubemeister 5 combo recently at the same price as the Laney - it is interstate but includes delivery. Have not found many reviews online or demos. So you have any experience with it? Simple amp, no reverb or send and return but if it sounds great at the price it goes into the mix.
    The Blackstar HT-1rc is also at the same price. Has reverb. I will have to try it out.

6. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted

I haven't got any experience of the Tubemeister 5 (I'm not sure if its available in the UK), but have recently purchased a Tubemeister 18 that I am really pleased with.

7. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

I think Tubemeister 5 is discontinued. It has 5W, or 0W with Power Soak and cab sim output. The 18 has 18, 5, 1, and 0W.

8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I got my hands on an Epiphone Valve Jr. It's rated at 5 Watts. It is remarkably loud for 5W, has one knob, many easy mods available, sounds good with pedals. My only complaint is no real clean sounds; it breaks up even at 2-3 on the dial.

epiphone-valve-junior-head-15596.jpg

Henry Mars and Mr Green Genes like this.
  9. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Many options here, depends what can you get in your area...
    1. What about Ibanez TSA5 or bigger bro TSA15 (has a 5W reduction switch), very affordable, very Fenderish?
    2. F Greta?
    3. F Pro Jr or even SCX2 or Champ?
    4. Marshall 1W versions?
    Bugera? HT-1? AC4? etc...

I have a Marshall Studio 15 that has a 1W switch option, a really great amp!
    Also have a 4W DIY tube amp from an older radio... (this trick might work very good as well...)

JustABluesGuy and Gmountain like this.
  10. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I agree, mine works great for keeping it quiet with good tone.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

First off, welcome to TDPRI. My suggestion is to keep playing the Yamaha until you can actually get some play time on a variety of tube amps. Reason being is the voicing is quite different and generally speaking based upon the power tube. When you try an amp, note the main power tube as a comparison. As a blues player myself, there are certain amps that I just don't like, but the next player will enjoy, so it becomes very personal.

BTW, I have an E10P.:)

perttime likes this.
  12. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

for playing at home I use a vox lil night train great amp and can often be picked up cheaply.

13. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

There may well be more to it than Watts too.

Some recent posts elsewhere suggest that larger amps may have a wider sweet spot where they sound good. Others favor using Power Soaks or attenuators between bigger amp and speaker to keep the volume down.

I like to turn the clean side of my little Marshall up, for best cleans. The gainier channel has "enough" gain. Other amps may have good cleans at lower settings, and a drive pedal gives good overdrive. My 75W solid state (analog) amp sounds quite good turned way down. I just need a delicate touch to set the volume for home levels.

14. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

The blackstar and champ are good options. I have a Blackstar HT1 (since given to my son) and a champ clone (unobtrusively sits in the living room). The monoprice sits in my music room and has pretty much replaced my Kustom Defender 5(H). As you can see, I like small tube amps! Both the champ and Blackstar are quite useful amps and great for home use. The only reason I would prefer the monoprice is that to me - the 12" speaker just plain feels better than the small 8" speakers on the other two. It partly depends on what you are looking at in terms of space. I think it you have sufficient space for the larger cabinet, the Monoprice is hard to beat, but if you are challenged space-wise, you will be well-served by one of the smaller options.

15. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Pro jrs snd vox ac4c1s are my faves and I do think I've tried them all at this point.
    Those little Laney cubs and traynor darkhourse are close in the running, also.
    Somehow the nighttrain series are not as good, but ok. Kinda harsh sounding.
    Those lil epi amps, are also ok.discontinued I think.

16. Eastman E10

Eastman E10 TDPRI Member

Thanks for all these recommendations. Looks like there is not much love for the Bugera here - and I'd prefer to play before buying too which is not an option for that amp.
    Vox and Laney are coming out on top at the moment. Most stores here stock Blackstar so they will be easy to try out.
    Good advice from Obsessed - the Yamaha is fun and I'm not in a hurry to buy. I'll have to try a few amps out. Also, the E10P Eastman is a nice guitar - really comfy too. I hope you like it.

Obsessed likes this.
  17. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic

these have been getting a ton of praise...

The chappers/captain makes em look pretty cool. I know they're not "tube" but they do seem to sound good.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-100-100-50-0.5-watt-1x12-inch-cosm-combo-amp

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...na-50-50-25-0.5-watt-1x12-inch-cosm-combo-amp

That said if you were able to find a used blues jr that seems like a great option. Those amps sound wonderful and can be modded if you want to and your own flair to it.

Used gear is good gear in my book.

Rocksteadyeddy likes this.
  18. death-to-yancey

death-to-yancey Tele-Meister

Blackstar Artisan 10 watt ANNIVERSARY EDITION. Not the regular production 15 watt versions or whatever they are. The 10 watt sounds really good at low volume, I guess the single preamp tube and single power tune helps. Plus the headphone out sounds awesome, and it as touch sensitive as playing without it.

19. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Holic

Hmmm......there was a Laney Lionheart 112-5W for sale on eBay last week for $700 here in OZ. It would suit you well.
    I have one and it has a clean channel, a gain channel and on board plate reverb. They are made in China now, but mine was made in Birmingham, England. You don't live in Adelaide by any chance?

20. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

I agree- the TSA15 is an excellent option.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.