Low watt tube amp for home use recommendations

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Eastman E10, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Eastman E10

Eastman E10 TDPRI Member

Hi all. I'm in Australia and looking for a small tube amp for playing around the house.
    I have Mexican Tele and Yamaha THR10 C - which is pretty neat. I've had these for about a year but now I want tubes! I play blues and classic rock. I also use a looper and Joyo vintage overdrive.
    Prices over here get high compared to USA and I don't have a large range of amps to try.
    I have been checking used amps local to me but they are often still high priced compared to buying new. Those I am interested in include (all prices in Aussie dollars):
    Bugers v5 - cheapest is $415 including shipping. Not available to try locally.
    Vox ac4 - depending an what variety $450 for the blue and $480 for the black with 12 inch speaker.
    Vox Ac10c1 I can currently get at $610. Vox's get labelled as 1 trick ponies and I would like reverb onboard. they are however available locally.
    I recently saw Laney 12r for $500 in store (usually around $770) and tried it. Seems ok but did not really grab me. Has onboard digital reverb and send and return which would be handy for the looper. Considering the discount this is the best value I have found. I have read about Monoprice but by the time I pay shipping it is about the same price and it would be easier to go back to a store if I have problems than paying to ship back to USA.
    VHT special 6 ultra is a bit of a drive for me to check out and currently $630 - also no reverb but does have send and return. Probably more durable or more easily repaired in future if needed than PCB.
    Blues Jr 3 or 4 is currently on special at $900 (normally about $1200) and out of my budget.
    Anyone have any recommendations about these or anything I have not looked at? Thanks in advance.

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Maybe a Roland Blues Cube or a Fender Champ?

I didn't care for the Vox AC10c1 cleans so if that is important to you...might want to pass. The VHT amps get good reviews, but I have not tried one. In a home environment, the Champ can really do a great job and there are so many of them out there either original, reissue, or clones that you should be able to find one pretty cheap. Even the Super Champ XD would be a great choice although it isn't a full tube amp.

Tonetele, asnarski and RLee77 like this.
  3. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Blackstar HTR1 head with a 112 cabinet.

4. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

If you can get the Monoprice (Stage Right) 15-watt amp there, it is a clone of the Laney 12r, but a lot cheaper (on sale, I got it for well under $200). I don’t know what these go for in Australia, but I have been quite impressed, and with a one-watt setting, it gives me a lot of range from clean to dirty without raising the roof. Plus, the 12-inch speaker gives it some nice space, and the reverb is decent and helps as well.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611815

5. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

If you want Vox, I would choose an AC4 over an AC10. The 12 inch speaker just sounds better than the 10 inch speaker and it breaks up easier, which is great for classic rock. I have an AC15, and I can tell you that Vox is not a one trick pony. Like anything else, the gear is only as versatile as the player.

Another option you may look into is the Fender Bassbreaker 007 combo. Its a killer little amp, sounds like the love child of a tweed Fender and a Marshall. I use one all the time as my living room amp.

JustABluesGuy and Henfield Tele like this.
  6. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

The Vox AC10 is fantastic. With a Tele it sounds unbelievable. I have a AC4, and AC10 and an AC15. The 10 is just unbelievably great. The AC10 does have onboard reverb.

SaintSilas and JBFatFingers like this.
  7. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Just purely for home use? Blackstar ht5 or the orange rocker 15 that has a surprisingly good bedroom 1 watt and .5 watt mode.

8. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Go old school and grab a Fender Vibro Champ. The most brilliant amp ever made. When I got mine last year, I quickly realized I should have bought one long ago.

RyCo1983, JeffBlue, Milspec and 2 others like this.
  9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Also be aware that "wattage" is not very relevant. An AC10, for example, is often as loud as many 20-25 watt (or more) amps. The amp design, bias (in a fixed bias amp), speaker cabinet and speaker sensitivity all affect volume more than "watts".

10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

BB likes this.
  11. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Where in Aus are you? If you're around Melbourne I'm selling a Blackstar HT5, happy for you to give it a whirl.

12. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

1522036618171.jpg

I got an AC4-1x12 for Christmas.

It's awesome

13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

BB likes this.
  14. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

engl gigmaster 15.
    has a powersoak, send return, midboost and channel switch

15. Eastman E10

Eastman E10 TDPRI Member

Wow. Thanks for all the quick responses. I'm in South Australia - thanks for the offer Mr Scallywag but a bit of a drive. I have seen some HT5's on ebay but most people offer local pickup only.
    Thanks Silverface, I'm using watts as a reference to others, I know 5 watts can be pretty loud. I'm after nice cleans with moving up to a bit of drive, no metal here. Old Fenders don't seem to come up for sale too often around here - a few Blues Juniors do but people are asking a pretty high price for 2nd hand amps.
    The monoprice costs about the same as the sale price I found on the Laney after shipping and currency conversion so I would probably get the Laney. I don't get it the Monoprice gets great reviews and the Laney not so great but people say they are essentially the same amp - apart from digital vs spring reverb. Possibly price point thing.Tones online sound pretty good though.
    I have seen the Joyo before and it is a great price but I want just a bit more tone shaping options.
    Cheers.

16. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

Vox Ac4 12 and consider a future tube upgrade from the Chinese tubes to a matched set. But only if the top end fizz bothers you. Got to agree with the other poster who said they are definitely not a 1 trick pony..

stnmtthw likes this.
  17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I just got me my first tweed champ (5F1) clone. To me, it's the supreme home tube amp (and it's got enough volume that it might cover even jams and if mic'd small gigs). I can't believe how good it is.

Milspec likes this.
  18. Eastman E10

Eastman E10 TDPRI Member

Sorry the term 1 trick pony for the vox is probably not correct. More that reviewers have said the ac4 breaks up too early so the cleans are not loud enough. Probably not a problem for me as I will be using it mostly when others are out so I will have limited opportunity to use it. People rave about the vox chime though. I'll have to try the ac4-12.
    That Joyo amp might be a good option. Dacious, from your post it appears you have or had one - what are your views on it? Just the volume control, suppose it makes me use my guitar controls more - and my pedal.
    Thanks all.

stnmtthw and Henfield Tele like this.
  19. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

If you like the Laney, I suggest you to give a try to the cub head 12r. In my opinion the weakest point of the cub 12r (owned by my bandmate) is the speaker. I used it many times connected to a Palmer 2x12 with RedFangs (Eminence equivalent of the greenbacks) and it will sound awesome!

20. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.