Low watt, 1x12, tube?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by markal, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

For some reason, they market it as 5 watts, but the manual actually says 8 watts. It is pricey, but for that circuit with that attenuator, it seems worth it to me.

2. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I've played my Champion 600 through an 8 ohm 12" high efficiency speaker and it sounded great; would surely be even better with correct impedance. I like it in its tidy little 6" combo cabinet and don't want to chop it up, but would surely sound huge through a bigger external cab and a boost.

3. randym

randym Tele-Meister

Victoria 5112. Champ with a 12" in a 5E3 size cabinet.

I also liked the VHT Special 6 when I had one.

stormsedge likes this.
  4. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. The demo on Sweetwater’s site sounds pretty damn good!

5. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

Agreed. I”ve had a 5 watt Laney that could rattle the windows. My goal is moderately loud home playing, occasionally feeling those tubes come alive without breaking the neighbors windows or my eardrums, home recording (mic’d up) and having enough volume for moderate jams.

6. NEED4TWEED

NEED4TWEED TDPRI Member

Having a taste for the same type of amp and having some experience with some production amps, as well as Tweed and Marshall clones, I can say with absolute confidence that you’d prefer the clones.

Tweed, Brownface, and Marshall all have good clean sounds and work with pedals, but the real magic is using their overdriven sound and rolling off your volume for cleans. This is how I’d recommend using them. I tried OD pedals but none compare and I no longer use them.

As you only want 15w or less and a 12” speaker, you’re describing a Tweed Deluxe 5e3, which is 12w. They’re not known for their clean headroom but there are mods to get some more of that from them, and again, that’s not the magic of these amps.

Other options are a Tweed or Brownface Princeton with an upgraded 12” speaker, but those are harder to find. You could also consider an 18w Marshall combo, which is not much more power.

As for keeping this under $1k, it can be done and I also had a similar goal. I ended up building kits and have built a couple Tweed Deluxes and a 1987 Marshall. That may not be for you but other options are to buy assembled from Mojotone, Weber or another kit seller, which is usually around an extra $400. From Weber that totals about $1k for the Tweeds. There are some sellers on Reverb that sell clones professionally like this guy (https://reverb.com/shop/sound-of-the-shoals-guitar-amplifiers) and they look good to me but I’ve never played one. There’s also guys selling their kit builds but who knows what you’re getting with those.

I know my recommendation will not be the least expensive or easiest to purchase, but I honestly believe you will be much happier with these if that’s the sounds you truly want.

EDIT: I WANT TO BRING ATTENTION TO THE SALE THAT SELLER HAS RIGHT NOW. His prices were already ridiculously low before.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Ndavis1971 likes this.
  7. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Swart AST is another good option along with the Tone King Gremlin

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

That, and it's a Swiss knife of tones.

KirbyBarba and Ronzo like this.
  9. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My Epi VJr 1x8 combo could rattle windows when really cranked, so small speakers and low power don't guarantee low volume. But it does help.

After reading the reviews for the Lionheart series when they came out, they have been in my top 5 GAS list for a while, but they rarely seem to come up for sale locally and given my already prodigious pile of amps, I can't justify spending the money for a new one. Right now, anyway.

10. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Why not go with a fender princeton? Checks all the boxes, and if you do decide to sell it, the fender name will help retain value.

11. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

He doesn’t like the black/silver face sound. I can relate.

markal likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

-Brown or BF Princeton clone maybe? Clean tone.
    -I have found 5-6 watt amps give it up too fast and get nasty.
    -The Laney 15 is the same manufacturer as a Monoprice 15 and pretty cheap built.
    -If you really want to spend $800-$1000 a Z Ghia is to die for, but 18 watts. You can get a head for that, not sure if a combo.
    -Fender Pro Junior and rehouse it in a 12" cab. You'd still have money left over.

But beware all these except the Princeton are EL84 powered . They have their own tone a bit, you either like it or you dont.

uriah1 likes this.
  13. marshman

Just occurred to me, wasn't there a Rivera-era "Super Champ" or some such with full tone stack, 12" speaker, etc?

Upon review, there are several options in this part of Fender life that gets close:

The Champ 12 is Single-ended 6L6GC for 10-ish watts, a 12" speaker, reverb and a headphone jack.

The super Champ is 2x6V6GT, reverb and 10" speaker.

The Champ II was 2x6v6GT, but 10" speaker, no 'verb and minimalist control layout.

And I have no idea what these sound like, they might just be BF-variants.

For your perusal, if you go in for this sort of thing: The Fender Amp Field Guide (thevintagesound.com)

14. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

I had one I played through a 1X12" cab and if it had rattled my windows, I would have been really worried about those windows. One of the most one-trick-pony amp I've played.

15. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nice thing about it too is the I.F.S. control really works well on this amp alot of usable tones has JJ's stock for tubes was surprised by that

16. marshman

A VJr was fairly one trick, that’s for sure, but it frees up the hands to work the guitar and create tones with the guitar and your hands.

I turned may band mate loose with a pair of VJr stacks and his super duper multifx and he was pretty happy with it for stereo rehearsals. Once he dialed in his sounds, he transferred to a rack with a stereo power amp and gigged it plenty BC.

17. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Tele-Meister

Vox makes an AC4 with a 12 inch speaker. Might be worth a look.

18. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

Can't go wrong with a Bassbreaker....

Deathray likes this.
  19. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I'm kind of surprised we've made it this far without somebody suggesting the Origin 20 -- which is 20 watts, sure, but attenuates way down for living room playing. Tonally it seems like it might be right up your alley. if you already have a 12 in a cab, you can get the head version for $399 these days. It's a lot of amp for that kind of money.

Marc Morfei, Treynor and DrBGood like this.
  20. Dacious

Dacious Doctor of Teleocity

The Superchamp is a Princeton preamp minus tremolo but including Cathodyne phase inverter combined with a Deluxe output section. It's 17-18 very loud gigging watts. Not a home amp. If the Op doesn't like BF tone he won't like it.

It's pluses are are champ sized cabinet, 35lb, the BF clean channel with pull mid boost that takes it into Brown territory plus these are the last tagboard amps made in the old Fullerton factory.
    IMG_20180416_220610.jpg
    I can walk into studio or gig with guitar, M13 effects in gigbag over one shoulder and amp.

IMG_20180409_143900.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    DADGAD likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.