1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Low volume playing...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DHart, Nov 17, 2020.

1. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The key with relatively loud (acoustically) hollow body electrics is to just bump the volume on the amp a little higher. Or play a solid body if you don't want to turn the amp up high enough to overcome the acoustic output of the hollow guitar.

Wulf likes this.
  2. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i love this thread...we are an inventive and imaginative lot.
    nice to see we all have respect for family members and neighbours
    Good Work everyone

3. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i think that is a lovely sound myself too...an amp just loud enough to match the sound of a hollow body guitar....such a nice compliment to it

preactor likes this.
  4. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I get so confused doing this. Is that my guitar or is that my amp or a combo of both! It never sounds the same if I'm recording. ;););)

Wulf likes this.
  5. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

try using an ambient mic...near your guitar..or close to the neck...and another near your speaker...that ought to do it once you balance them

preactor likes this.
  6. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

I tend to like playing loud so I can feel the air moving. But I do this just when I’m alone in bandroom or home practising.

Home playing is one PITA, we live in a 2 floor condo and have neighbours straight on the other side of walls (both sides) in our bedroom where I usually play with amp.

Headphones are great when using Adio air or Katana air. And those deliver quite nice tones in low volumes without headphones.

Just bought Ox amp top box, so playing tube amps got much more interesting. I’ve had amps from Vox AC4 and AC30 to Fender ’65 Princeton and Twin reverb as a bedroom amp, and as you can imagine, everyone besides AC4 is an overkill.

Luckily I have great neighbours: on one side lovely elderly couple who likes me playing (asked them many times if I make too much noise) and other side a Deep Purple guy, who plays bass in a tribute band. Could have joint session one day both playing in their bedrooms :)

E2055429-0C68-4A44-9D62-7D5FBE625DB6.jpeg

Wulf and Coloradotwanger like this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I too was a fan of playing loud guitar amplifiers on stage, back in my twenties. We had a loud drummer, so it didn't really seem out of place to crank up a Marshall half stack.

But the reality is I even back then, I kept it quiet at the house because there was no need, without a drummer, to play full volume. I would play at home at what we today call "bedroom levels", I just turned the master volume down on the half stack. It became my practice amp.

These days, I again have one amplifier that serves both stage and home needs, I just turn it down at home. And on stage, I really don't have it loud at all because I'm not competing with a drummer who plays like an orangutan. Sometimes I will use the speaker emulated direct out, and no actual speaker at all. The amplifier is a Class D digital modeling head, so I'm not going to break anything doing that. The important thing is that the amplifier produces consistently great tones from 1 to 10 on the volume, and my amplifier does.

Wulf and aging_rocker like this.
  8. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

On some recordings I use an Ibanez pedal ...direct, no amp.

9. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

20121017_155513.jpg
    also...give each mic breathing room when you pan them...otherwise it wont sound quite right...10 o clock and 2 oclock should do it...but a little tweak to suit you is fine...dont hardpan each mic..or one might get lost in your mix...if you want guitar on one channel...pan one mic fully and the other about 3/4 way round...no rules there...but a starting point to work from if your mix sounds a bit "crowded"...not spacious enough..pan things and eq till it sounds fuller.
    i always do 1 final mix to mono too...thats a good way to see if you are losing anything...if a mix is good in mono and stereo youve done a good job

that was originally a stereo mix...i pressed something it came out mono and actually sounds better for it...more gutsy compressed...and well...old...which was what i was aiming for. that red gretsch is what your hearing through that vox

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  10. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Is that Strat’s finish weathered naturally, @JL_LI ? It looks like somebody sweats as Rory Gallagher used to. :)

Wulf likes this.
  11. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I quit playing out in 1998, after four straight years of the band playing 150+ shows each year. It stopped being fun and turned into a job, and it's a job that we all know doesn't really pay squat when you factor in the time and gear invested in it. I get more enjoyment out of playing and recording at home than what I was experiencing toward the end of my live music tenure.

DHart, Wulf and stantheman like this.
  12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

The Strat is a heavy relic FCS ‘69 Stratocaster. I’ve posted about it a few times before. I got it almost exactly a year ago at the last stop on the FCS Road Show. Two things the Road Show focused on we’re CS Stratocaster pickups and how to tell the master builder by personal nuance in their heavy relic builds. At the end of the presentation, they had a drawing for pickups, a loaded pickguard, tools, and other bits and pieces. I won the drawing for the guitar.

Joe K, GreatDaneRock and Wulf like this.
  13. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Recently...actually very recently a modified by me VTT Telecaster that I got - amazingly to me on the rebound from the guy who bought it from Our Friend Paul in The UK
    - this was actually a Telecaster that I couldn’t the money up
    for (life is tougher than Ya think at this age Gents) but anyways FATE interceded and now She’s mine.:D:D
    This fine Girl and my $100 Dollar Bandit 65 and a Cable is exactly the sound I’ve been hearing in my fragile eggshell
    brain for the last 50 years scattered on dawn’s highway.
    I want for nothing else.....until The Itch returns.

She wasn’t easy or effortless to play when I first got Her,
    BUT like a good Horse we came to an understanding.

You Guys should make it easier for Cavemen to print a Photo - I’ve got an IPad 6 so feel free to PM me and I’ll let the drooling commence with some instruction. “Why is it so hard for Hulk to think?”

Wulf likes this.
  14. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

When I lived in an apartment complex after I got divorced, a neighbor’s son brought out his bass and amp and “serenaded” the complex on a Sunday afternoon.

He was just awful. And loud. I had a Popeye, “That’s all I can stands, I can’t stands no more!” moment. I set up a PA speaker and my GK 400RB/Avatar B210/Avatar B115 rig, facing my front door. I set up a CD player in the PA with Duran Duran’s version of “White Lines” cued up. I plugged my P-bass in, and opened my front door. Turned it all on, and played along with the bass line up until the first “Free base!” chorus. I then turned it all off and closed my front door.

We never heard that young man playing again. But, he later attempted an armed robbery and took his family hostage at gunpoint, forcing the city’s SWAT team to close off the complex for about five hours before surrendered.

So, there’s that.

Oxidao and Wulf like this.
  15. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Wow. I’m usually not attracted to relic instruments, but that looks absolutely stellar.

Glad you won the drawing! :)

Wulf likes this.
  16. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

brilliant...i tried that with him...hes a scratty drug addled imbecile...dealt with now...saw him earlier and he couldnt have been more polite...not heard him at an annoying volume since either...his co tennants in the flats are happy too...did you see the posts about how i dealt with him and then the nice response i got afterwards...?...it was so kind of them..they all chipped in for a nice bottle of wine.
    clapped and thanked me for my actions too
    ive done what you did in the past..i live in a 1st +2nd floor
    downstairs is another flat...a lil spotty tearaway lived there too.for a while..boomboomboom...i turned on a fender twin...plugged cd player into it on rpt...cranked it and went out for about 6 hours...motorhead through a cranked twin.i think it made his eyes and ears bleed..he didnt do it again either.. he moved out pretty soon after thank goodness...nice people downstairs now
    sometimes they need to learn civility and respect the hard way,...we had to...if we did it someone would likely have given us a proper kicking back in the day
    love the bit about swat team...they didnt shoot him then?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  17. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

CACFB296-8D4E-420F-9FB2-6724F1C0E238.jpeg
    A closer look at the relic. No builder was mentioned but it’s not team built. My guess is that it’s the Fender equivalent of a masters thesis. I give it an A. The guitar is nothing short of amazing. I don’t understand why the back angled bridge pickup isn’t more widely available.

DHart likes this.
  18. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i like your thinking way back in the early days a lot of rock n roll was done with acoustic guitars upright bass a couple of drums...and an electric guitar...great sounds and balanced ...a nice sounding elec doesnt need to blow the windows out to sound good in a live situation...something many have forgot

19. DHart

When I was about 28 and thinking I could make it big in the music biz, I looked around... saw unbelievable talent in every tiny nook and cranny ALL across this huge country - and realizing that hardly any of them would ever make a good life-long career in the biz... I decided that for me, music would be a splendid amateur endeavor... and I'd earn my living in other ways. It all turned out to be a very good decision for me, fortunately.

Andy B, Frodebro and WingedWords like this.
  20. DHart

The back angled Strat bridge pickup is the key to Strat nirvana! They all should be that way, in my view. Tones down the piercing highs a bit, adds a tiny bit of fullness to the bridge position.

JL_LI likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.