1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Low volume playing...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DHart, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have amps that can go much louder, but I generally play them quietly, and most of them have some sort of power scaling to help me with that. I play for myself and to record.

Wulf likes this.
  2. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

like a sports car...just because we can...doesnt mean we do...but all that power in reserve...

3. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

What's that saying from the amp forums... "the first watt does most of the work." ;)

aging_rocker, MilwMark, DHart and 2 others like this.
  4. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cool! My avatar is an Epiphone version, is yours a Gibson? Sold mine a year or so ago but can't bring myself to change the avatars just yet!

Wulf likes this.
  5. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

thankfully lilspotty is now as quiet and humble as a church mouse...i can go back to playing nice and quietly now...i did the unthinkable.paid him a little visit..lockdown n all...he now thinks im going to eat him if he breaks wind near the wall...got a round of applause and a big thank you off the other tennants...icing on the cake...just wish he would stick a cushion between his knees now...sure i can hear them knocking...
    ahhhh....silence is golden...just like his left trouser leg...(really....big baba)

richiek65 likes this.
  6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I wish I could play louder; I really like actual tube drive over pedals. But I've accepted my lot in life as a compartment dweller and I don't want to ruin the mutual respect that seems to have sprung up between my neighbors and me. I never hear them playing anything too loud, so I don't either.
    Except about a month ago, my downstairs neighbor was playing some John Coltrane loud enough I could hear it. I was tempted to go out on the patio and shout down at him, "hey man, turn that s--- up!"

7. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Awww...that was nice...someone knocked on my door and left a bottle of wine and a thankyou note from "all the nice quiet ones next door"...vindicated....
    restores ones faith in ones fellow beings...i think im going to cry now....hope they made him clean his puddle up....preferably with his poxy tongue

8. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I have mostly big Fender and Peavey amps for gigs, and a few smaller amps (I'm still trying to get comfortable with). When I play electric at home, I will play semi-quiet, sorta like small-gig volumes. When trying a new amp or speaker, I'll let it rip a little. My wife never complains, as she likes it at medium to loud (not insanely loud) levels. We have a large enough, pretty isolated home that I can do this. But when I want to or have to play quietly (others are sleeping), I'll simply grab an acoustic guitar and play away.

Wulf likes this.
  9. TeleinTX

TeleinTX TDPRI Member

One word: Attenuation. I have the PAN PB1, since I can't afford a UA Ox or Rivera Rock Crusher. I run my signal chain through it and out to my Dual Rectifier. Still gets great break up, while saving what is left of my hearing at lower volume levels. I've gotten used to my case of tinnitus, but attenuation will also keep your family and neighbors off your back. Many are also great cab emulators for recording. You can also adjust it to not break up if you're looking for a warmer, non distorted tone.

Make sure you size it for your amp. They warm up, as they act as a heat sink. Tom Scholz of Boston (and an MIT engineer) designed and introduced them in the early 80's Rockman line.

https://guitar.com/guides/essential-guide/all-about-attenuators/

10. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

Maturity: Discovering that the volume knob also turns to the left.

11. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

and the one on the guitar...unless that was the one you meant...a lot of people seem not to know what that one or its neighbour can do for sound.volume and clarity

Auherre756 likes this.
  12. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

90% of the time I play at very low manageable levels. Master Volume is my best friend .....hardest part for me is actually getting time to play at all anymore. So busy at work....I cant complain because so many are out of work and I did almost 600 hrs OT last year. Next year I hope to reign it in some.....play more. But when I do its usually byself at speaking volumes. But every once and a while I will crank the Crap out of My Kendrick Gusher .....2 EL34's its much like an early Plexi. Very Billy Gibbons like ........and there is nothing like it cranked with a good tele. :cool::D

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...usher-one-of-the-best-amps-ever-made.1735574/

Wulf likes this.
  13. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I play unplugged downstairs, and amplified upstairs. I try to have things ready to go, with my amp being on for 2 years or so.

It's a Quinn ODS clone and gives me some really interesting avenues to explore. For kicks, I will sometimes pursue a sound that is crazy--seemingly useless. But this is when experience really helps, as I can modify my playing technique in order to make the sound seem musical to me. I use pedals sometimes: delay, reverb, boost, EQ, Univibe, and distortion.

I'm planning on recording soon, and I will turn it up for that. My wife works in her painting studio above the garage, while I have the entire house at my disposal.

Wulf likes this.
  14. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

One of my favorite around the house amps has been a Vox AC 4 TV mini. I think that the small speaker in a closed box is probably part of the formula. I plug in, adjust the volume and tone to my liking, and play away. Of course, it does sound best at full power but, the one watt setting isn't bad at all. I have tried it through larger speakers and while there is something to be said for that, it "acts" better and records better with the smaller one.

Wulf likes this.
  15. MrAstro

MrAstro Tele-Afflicted

Aside from my valve amps which I only play on rare occasions because they are loud, I have a large range of Roland Cubes from a Street Cube Ex, to a 40GX and an 80GX. Because they are solid state they turn down very well. Most of the time I use my 40GX turned down to acoustic levels or lower. They have a better bass response than those small Yamahas. I practice all day at low levels and the sound is still satisfying enough - they don't aggravate my tinnitus at those levels. I play very clean because I'm a KY style thumbpicker - so you if you are into death metal or something my advice needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Wulf likes this.
  16. ruark

ruark TDPRI Member

I use TACs. I've posted about this on other threads. This issue comes up in many facets, and the TAC solution fits most of them. Here's the link https://www.smiczamps.com/ My Music Master Bass amp was clean almost all the way up with 6V6s. Now it sounds like those youtube videos of Tweed Deluxes maxed out creating what I consider the best tone on the planet. I was just about to go the pedal route which I really didn't want to do. I prefer nothing between the guitar and amp. Now with the TACs the amp reacts like I want. Light touch completely clean. Medium touch for crunch. Heavy hand and it's as distorted as all get out. I love my amp even more now. There are TAC versions for almost any amp every built. If you are looking for a solution to have big tone at low volumes in a tube amp this is the best I've found. The basic tone is almost exactly like my amp with 6V6s, but can now get raunchy at low volume. IMG_0662.jpg

Wulf and saltyseadog like this.
  17. Ricoblues

Ricoblues TDPRI Member

Always I've played with low volume in gigs too with my lovely modded Fender Blues Junior with a Shure SM57 in front. Now I play only in my room (only blues and smooth/standard jazz music with clean or a bit overdriven sound) with a Yamaha THR10c and I suffer your same problem with my very resonant Tele. The only way to listen the amplified sound is with an high quality studio level headphone.

Wulf and DHart like this.
  18. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

For acceptably quiet home playing I invested in a Marshall DSL1CR (1x8" Celestion). The clean channel is very nice and the naughty channel with a hint of break up and some reverb really does sound good. One valve watt is surprisingly robust-to the point that voices need to be raised to be heard above it, and if even that's too loud Marshall thoughtfully provided a button to reduce the maximum volume even more to 1/10 watt. Spec includes an effects loop, emulated line out and a headphone/MP3 facility-and an included channel footswitch.
    I have a couple of bigger amps ready for when we are allowed to play out again; a Bandit 112 (which loves Telecasters), and a Katana 50 II.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    DHart and Wulf like this.
  19. Sybo

Sybo Tele-Meister

I’m in the same situation with volume. Since Covid my wife has an office here in the home and the sound levels cannot be disruptive whatsoever. It’s hard to conduct video business with someone fumbling around six string. I have found a way around this for me.

I plug-in the Vox AC-30 into my guitar, headphones attached, auxiliary to the iPad. Rock on kids! As much as I do miss the nuances and some of the voicing that I can achieve from higher volumes, at least there is calm in our home, LOL. Damn you can hear the mistakes though.....

Wulf likes this.
  20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That’s a big “yo”! I too have a THR10ii but I use it for practice and learning new songs. I recently purchased a Tone King Gremlin which is 5 watt (possibly 8 watt) amp with an attenuator. It satisfies the low volume requirement quite well.
    I don’t play in a band. I create my own backing tracks for accompaniment. I have a small Alto PA for playback. I can easily play at low volume levels and still “rock out” if I choose.
    Really it still amazes me that Fender hasn’t done a vintage modified series of classic tube amps with built in attenuation to meet a growing demand for real “bedroom” use.
    It’s quite irritating to hear folks say something like a Blues Junior is great for home use. They’re loud as hell.
    BTW, nice home studio setup @DHart

AndrewG, DHart and Wulf like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.