1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Low volume playing...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DHart, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Yuro

Yuro TDPRI Member

Richiek65: I have one of those gold LP Sigs like on your photo. They're neat guitars!!!

2. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

unfortuantely we cant get out and gig here.
    during summer though i was out every day...hat on and 12 string guitar
    got fimed photographed and spoilt with money food and drink and many happy smiles..and promises of more...(wink).the only live entertainment in a town full of musicians...yet there was only little old me doing it...and it was Effin Great!!!!
    now...we are prisoners of the porch again here...home playing the only option...with neighbours in the same boat it would hardly seem decent honourable or fair to crank my amps for a selfish desire for noise...unless that little spotty toe rag next door starts up with his orrible row...even get neighbours knocking on my door..." fer Fooks sake Wulf...please drown him out"...i did offer to merely drown him in local beck.....theres a green light as it were....normally quiet out of respect...people round here tend to speak with their fists first then ask later...not a problem for me either...but a situation best avoided....its much better to get along isnt it...a rolling scrap in street over volume isnt worth it

beagle likes this.
  3. Yuro

Yuro TDPRI Member

Dude: I have a little tinnitus. Not so bad for my age, I think. I've worked in a metal stamping plant...since I was 16 years old...I'm almost 70 now and not in the stamping room so much anymore. I did a blues/jazz jam every Tues for 20 years. Covid killed that for now. I also ride motorcycles cross country when I can.

Anyway, I'm lucky enough to have a good sized finished 2nd floor on my garage. It houses a nice collection of combos and guitars...and a small PA...floor monitors only. PA has a CD player. I can jam to background tracks or sing.

I use an AB-Y setup with stereo echo. Using conservative settings, I can get amazing huge natural sound at reasonable volumes. My pedal board is assembled with the same goal...nice fat clean-ish but not clean with break-up that's touch sensitive and changeable with guitar volume.

All the amps are open-back except for a Suhr Badger 18 with single 12 in a closed box.

It's not loud outside, but you can hear it. I have a pact with the neighbors to shut down at 10PM...even on weekends. Usually it's 8PM to 10PM for me. This, so far, keeps me happy. I'm not sure what I'm practicing for, but I keep doing it.

I led a band in 9th and 10th grade, then we moved away. Band broke up. Sad and made me real mad for a few years. It was fun and we were starting to get a little traction.

I picked up acoustic in college and didn't get back to electric again until many years later. Now, I'm loving it and getting far more out of it than I did when I was a punk kid trying to be someone else.

I have a "real" '65 Twin Reverb...85W. I play it low and it still sounds good. The rest are max 40 watts...most are around 20. 2 amps have single 15" speakers. The rest have single 12's.

I have a 2X10" Laney that I used at the jam. It's still sitting in the back storage room at the bar there. Hasn't been used since maybe March 1st? I should go get that thing!

Cali Dude likes this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've used a combination of low volume solutions, mostly various modelers, for a while. My most recent solution is to use my tube amps with a Bugera Power Soak's line out going into a Hotone Binary Cab with OwnHammer IRs (usually Electro Voice ones) and then in a mixer. From the mixer, I can send the signal to the PC for recording and studio monitors or headphones for listening.

5. Clayton Bigsby

Clayton Bigsby TDPRI Member

F@ck! I needed this thread a few years ago.....
    Kinda wish Id known about the Thr10....

I started playing again about 6 years ago...after 40 years....but only got serious about 2 years ago when I started playing “electrics”..... at the tender age of 60 something......and picked up my baby...my 1st Tele and a suhweeet Strat.....
    Since it was all new to me and I pretty much sucked.... and couldn’t STAND to hear ALL my mistakes LOUD and clear....AND I LIVE IN AN APARTMENT.... I needed something that sounded decent at low levels....
    Started with a Mustang II which sometimes made me feel like a “guitar hero” but I realized (like MOST mainstream “performers” now a days) that I was relying on effects/ gimmicks and fooling myself into thinking I was a “player”....and it covered up my “warts” as its not what I would call a transparent or articulate amp....
    And there was too much crap to remember with all the potential settings.....

Soooooo, I started over and decided that the Holy Grail was a decent guitar (which I had) AND a TUBE AMP....and practice....

At my age Im ONLY buying things “forever” and wanted a K.I.S.S blank slate of sorts...something that I could tube roll, took pedals well, and I could play at low volume....but could also use IF I ever wanted to play with anyone else...

I decided on a Vox AC4HW....for me a PERFECT choice.....and some NOS vintage tubes...(which probably wasn't necessary )
    (It didn’t hurt when I heard the original designer of Vox voiced it for a Tele ! )

I find that I can get push it hard enough to get really sweet organic dirt, and of course crystal clear glass breaking clean tone.....Headroom has never been an issue...

I’ve only added a Flint, (already had a Fuzzface) a whah, and am playing around with a Friedman BE-OD.....which I’m trying to decide if I’m going to keep ...
    It can add absolute crushing filth at very low volume levels....but may be a bit much....as Im not a metal guy....only play SOME VH and Judas Priest..
    The amp can handle most “old school” rock (Stones, James Gang, Bad Company, Deep Purple, Mountain, ACDC, Doobies, etc) by itself WITHOUT breaking a sweat...and my neighbors are none the wiser...
    Since I’m rediscovering Trower, a Deja Vibe and a compressor are probably gonna be IT for pedals.....(maybe an EQ)

As some have mentioned.....I find the BIGGEST benefit to actually playing through a articulate driven amp, is that I am FORCED to improve my hand technique and control... taming all the unwanted input is maddening and you (read as ME) dont get that playing unplugged...
    maybe if you’ve been playing for 20+ years, that good clean efficient technique comes naturally...but for a noob not so much, its indispensable feedback....and it looks like a lonnnnnggggg road to get there for me.....very long.

6. Stinger22

Stinger22 TDPRI Member

Pretty much a 1 12 combo when gigging maybe an extra cab when I did gig for 30 plus years retired now. So that was what I played at home. Went to an Eleven Rack in the studio and able to get those great tones through that at lower volumes. But still had my Mesa combo and pedalboard in the living room taking up space and even at the 5 watt setting wanted to be loud. Then I got one of the Positive Grid Spark amps and have been blown away. Big sound but not loud sound necessarily although it can get pretty loud. And the tones especially for me the clean and slight OD amazing for its size. And as plus looks really good sitting on my home theater console taking up hardly any space. AND has some acoustic amps for my acoustic which are also great to play through. Add in all the backing and practice apps it's a winner.

7. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Do any of you "low-volume" guys play/practice primarily through headphones/earplugs? If so, what kind/brand? I've found that I get transient distortion, even at moderate levels, when using the headphone output of my Marshall MG30Fx. Either that or I've blow the little speakers slightly. I'm NOT a volume freak.

8. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

sorry to tell you...i was given an MG100FX...it had the same thing...its cheap marshalls ..they all do it to a greater or lesser degree...i did use it out for a gigs we did where the place was so rough you wouldnt risk a good amp...that place was so rough the piano had a bandage on its leg and the chair arms had tattoos
    gave it away and never looked back...ive always been a vox and fender user for the main...get one of those...

9. Jjmatashi

Jjmatashi TDPRI Member

My Tone King Comet 20 with Dr. Z Air Brake Attenuator, and a Hand-Wired Princeton clone...

62482757555--5E8F0D5D-F968-4EBB-9EF3-C780B7703F1C.jpeg

IMG-6154.jpg

IMG-6081.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Coloradotwanger and Wulf like this.
  10. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I owned one of these very briefly that came in a trade I had. Parted ways with it real quickly. The headphone out did not sound good even clean. The Yamaha THR series are quite good, but settled on a Vox AC 4 and a Boss GT-1. The Boss for headphone use and the amp when I can crank it a little with effects form the Boss. Used this in Apartments and hotels without any complaints.

Wulf likes this.
  11. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I have nothing of substance to add. I only wanted to say: Amazingly relaxing photo. I'd never leave that room.

jays0n, Wulf and DHart like this.
  12. Audiotrove

Audiotrove TDPRI Member

While I do still like to bust out the amp and rattle the windows on occasion, these days I'm mostly into NO volume playing: guitar into my UAD Apollo Twin into my Mac into my AKG headphones. This way I can run pedals, preamps, tube gear, whatever I like, as loud as I want, and I'm the only who has to hear my lousy playing.

Wulf likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Sony MDR7506

However, this is going from a mixer, not directly from an amp.

14. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

I play acoustic (unplugged) 99.99% of the time. Archtop, tele, bass guitar, whatever. I can hear the note, I care about the notes, not twiddling knobs for an hour.

Wulf likes this.
  15. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

i like your setup DHart lots of fun option there for sure

for low volume playing on the couch i just go straight in clean channel bandit 65 with a sub 6lb pinecaster with belly cut

for jamming i pretty much can use anything because i only jam guitar occasionally with my son on snare with brushes.

i can tolerate sticks and symbols but i would rather not

Wulf and DHart like this.
  16. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Christmas is coming - I reckon it'll suit my low volume playing nicely. And I plan to wake the neighbours now and then as well.

20201120_121616.jpg 20201120_140324.jpg

jays0n, bromdenlong, bls82261 and 3 others like this.
  17. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Congrats on your new amp! Should be a lot of fun for you ahead.

WingedWords likes this.
  18. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I do spend a lot of time in that room... the entire room is designed for music and relaxing - soft/cushy recliner in the opposite corner where I do spend a good bit of time - reclined and surfing on the laptop.

[​IMG]

19. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i used to have a 1974 non M/V one...wonderful thing...but
    either too quiet...or too loud...you could run it a bit warmer than 3 and ride the guitar pots...but all too easy to turn it into sonic warfare...theyre not for home use...we both know that..im sure my neighbours liked to remind me of that .unless you live miles from anyone

blue metalflake likes this.
  20. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

oh dear..lilspotty is trying to wake someone up in japan again...drug addled twonk....he lives in rented lil flat next door and the other tennants are too scared to say anything to him...grrr
    methinks its time for a dose of Wulf medicine...prob get nominated for a medal if i give him a clip round his earole
    think i will give him a dose of this first...sounds like hes in the same bloody room...that thing is twin reverb loud if i want...whisper quiet if i want...all on the guitar knobs....time to dime 20121017_155513.jpg ...either that or go round there with a daneaxe...pls advise!!...daneaxe or Vox n axe? ( that gretsch is a rockabilly / psychobilly monster)

JL_LI and richiek65 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.