1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Low volume playing...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DHart, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

and may i say..that is a nice take on the tele in your avatar pic sir...i want one...time to get the toolkit out

2. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I use a Dyna Comp Deluxe, and it was eye and ear opening to me. I always wondered why my guitar never sounded like the guitars on the records I loved... it was missing that Compression Magic Dust is why. The DCD adds just a touch of punch and sparkle to a Tele played clean. Man, oh man -- it sounds just right!

DHart and Coloradotwanger like this.
  3. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

For low volume playing, I LOVE the Fender Tone Master Deluxe.

I can set the attenuator at .5 or .2 watts, and get a great sound at low volume. I can play downstairs until late in the night, and not wake a soul a floor above. And the sound is great.

bromdenlong, superjam144 and DHart like this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I plugged into mine at our rehearsal space and set it to .2w. Strummed a chord expecting to barely hear it, and it was loud enough to rattle the cymbals and snare on the kit 25’ away.

beagle likes this.
  5. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

I play in bands, but I still play very low at home (or unplugged). You can use whatever amp at home really, but for clean sounds nothing sounds better then a twin reverb to me, even at this low a volume.

Bill and bromdenlong like this.
  6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I have pretty severe ear damage and tinnitus from too many loud concerts, rehearsals in tiny garages, and stereos with Cerwin Vega speakers and Sennheiser phones, and I wear the cheap foam earplugs all the time because it helps reduce the tinnitus, and my sensitivity to high frequencies, and helps to prevent further damage. I've tried just about every good practice amp available, and I've found 3 that sound best to me at the very low volume levels that I use, which is probably even lower than most of you consider low volume. They are the Katana Mini, Mustang LT25, and THR10C. The Roland Cubes, Katana 50, and Blackstar ID15-TVP all needed to be turned up louder to get a balanced and full sound and prevent them from sounding thin and boxy, and then they would set my ears to screaming after about 20 or 30 minutes, even with the earplugs. After the 3 I mentioned, the next best was/is the Vox VX series, the VX1 and 2, which have been replaced by the VX15 and 50, which I haven't tried. The Champion 20 sounds great too when turned up, but was also thin and boxy at lower levels. When I sold it, I turned it up louder than I ever had so the buyer could hear it louder, and we both said "Holy S**t! That sounds great!". But it was louder than my ears, and my neighbors, can tolerate. A nice added bonus of the LT25 and THR10C is that they sound really great for recording direct thru their USB out. I've never gotten better or easier recordings at home than with these 2, run straight into a USB port on my laptop.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    DHart and Wulf like this.
  7. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Wow. When I play late at night, I'll set the volume to between 2-3, on .2 watts, and the volume is perfect. Just loud enough for me, but inaudible in the next room or upstairs, where my twins soundly sleep.

superjam144 likes this.
  8. MilwMark

I probably should have mentioned that the only volume setting I really like on BF/SF Fenders is “8”. I can live with 7 and 9 is better than 7.

Frodebro, Mike M and Wulf like this.
  9. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

its that weird midrange thing you often get with lil amps that sets my tinnitus off...but its more like sloosh inside my ears...or a pulse....before i ripped out that C12 my pathfinder was useable for about 10 mins....just an unpleasant frequency that you cant define...after though its a different lil thing...not just a cute ornament
    can sit and play all day through it

DougM likes this.
  10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

hot amp then dial your sound in from guitar i summise

MilwMark likes this.
  11. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I did have to do some digging around to figure out what kind of connectors one might use and where to find the needed connectors. It was worth it, though!

12. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

This one's a Fender American, but it's just a tele with Jazzmaster body shape. Should be relatively easy to make. It's super comfortable to play.

frednic likes this.
  13. MilwMark

Yep. Treble bleed.

Guitar volume usually around 3-5. Then I have some volume increase 4-7 on the guitar or so and just more overdrive 7-10 or so on guitar.

So the cute story above really went:

- was rehearsing with full band, amp at 12w or even 5w attenuator setting. Took break.

- set amp to 8. Treble 7 bass 3.
    - reduce attenuator to .2w
    - guitar volume to 3
    - strum chord: pretty manageable
    - guitar vol to 10: whoops, not a home amp for me.

ThermionicScott and Wulf like this.
  14. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I could not agree more! I still have the original Dyna Comp I bought in the mid seventies! Only reason I haven't used it in quite a while is my Yamaha THR10 has compression built in.

Clean (bass) channel, dial in some reverb, dial in some compression - WOW: tonal nirvana! :) Reverb and Compression are the two EFX I will never do without.

Digital Delay and Chorus are enjoyable from time to time, but my basics are reverb and compression. I just love that slight edge that compression gives to the tone.

The THR10 has all of these EFX and more, built in, and ideally dialed in with the App on the computer, then saved back to a Preset on the THR10.

Telecaster88 and Coloradotwanger like this.
  15. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

20200512_235753.jpg
    ive got 2 offsets im currently building...i have jag and jazzer also.....i might redo one of my builds as an offset tele....it will mean a lot of work ...one has HB P90s the other HS filtertrons...both with strat style bridges...HB P90 one blocked ...the other...not sure yet,
    might put the filtertrons in my solid gretsch and start again with that one theres one of them dryfitted together

Strebs likes this.
  16. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

0.jpg
    my tele doesnt need a treble bleed through my vox amps....very sensitive you can keep it quite bright all the way down to practically nothing....and tweak the tone through its range....i love that in a guitar.
    as for the oops...thats a bit much...i know exactly what you mean...if i start to wind to about 3-4 on volume its starting to get quite a bit louder....like you hot amp...AC30VR modded...great amp...wasnt once..
    my tele can run away from you...i did a bit of jiggery pokery to the pickups...not standard tele neck one....and i modded bridge pup....once you let them bite its more like a riccy 330...it sizzles...glad it does ...i miss my 330...thats another story...another thing is ...my twin reverb sounds a bit meh compared to my big vox...

JL_LI and MilwMark like this.
  17. MilwMark

This whole album follows the above procedure. https://floormodel.bandcamp.com/album/slightly-damaged

No pedals so the engineer could add/sculpt later. I think I used slapback on a couple though as that’s part of the “part”.

Using the guitar volume technique. Tracked first through a ‘73 SFDR from the Studio, set to about 8 on amp Volume. Then again with their older JCM 800 212 combo. Engineer mixed and matched to taste.

I’m doing the riffy bits, leads, fills, lap steel.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

This is my low volume combo when I'm noodling or the Mrs, is asleep:
    BTW, it took a lot of help from fellow TDPRI members to dial in the right tubes and speaker and sometimes I plug into a 10" speaker cab that I built. IMG_4762.JPG

Rocky058, JL_LI, Gary135r and 3 others like this.
  19. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

That is a sweet little set up my friend....i do the same with control plate...then decide i like it the other way...then change my mind again....oh the trials and tribulations.
    i put a speaker out in my pathfinder10 while i had it apart...thinking i might need a speaker cab....havent used speaker out...need to get round to finishing cab...so many things on the go at once to keep my brain from turning to soup...if it hasnt already...got as far as making frame and speaker baffle board...got speaker...just need to put it all together...i used cheap pine shelving for frame and a sheet of marine ply for speaker baffle board...12" speaker...from an old marshall combo that went pop...i know the amp will drive it...how it wil all sound together is anyones guess

Obsessed likes this.
  20. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Blackface Princeton RI and that sounds good at any volume. There are also Yamaha modelling amps ( a mate has one). Korean Danelectros are good if you can get one ( most hold onto them).
    Might I suggest a Boss Katana, made by Roland, the 50 watt version. It has an attenuator switch for 1.5, 25 and 50 Watts RMS. Also built in effects. I have one and it is really good for the lounge room and very good at 50 Watts if you want to play live. Also you diminish the risk of damaging a valve ( tube) in transport.

aging_rocker and Coloradotwanger like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.