1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Low volume (lockdown) practice rig

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jerry_Mountains, Apr 2, 2020.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

In the first thread he literally says he's sick of doing that himself.

Post #1. ;)

matrix and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Two things.

Used with acoustic and bluetooth speaker on the kitchen table. https://www.apple.com/music-memos/

The Yamaha THR. I know budget was mentioned but it has been SUCH a nice purchase. So much nicer than other little amps I've had, the G-DEC, computer interfaces etc.....

These two solutions are far more satisfying than unplugged or many little amps. Exception being, the acoustic is always nice by itself.

[​IMG]

Jerry_Mountains and JuneauMike like this.
  3. taltoz

taltoz TDPRI Member

I use my pedalboard into the HX Stomp and headphones when I cannot run it through my eggnator tweaker amp. 77E76A85-A4A7-4518-BD99-A4C64C23CE49.jpeg

Jerry_Mountains and Alamo like this.
  4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I guess I’m lucky, my wife has never told me I’m playing too loud. I go down in the basement and crank it up while she watches TV upstairs. I’ll play a couple hours sometimes and she never says a word about it being too loud. I play drums too. I guess she’s just used to it after 35 years of marriage.

If she did complain, I would just play through my Gries 5, or Princeton Reverb as I can get a good tone at low volumes with both of those amps.

If I’m recording guitar late at night/early in the morning, I’ll just run my pedalboard through a Tech 21 Blonde, into a DI box, into my studio.

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  5. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

My choice for low volume is either my Pignose or my Micro Cube. Love both amps.

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  6. SUNBEAMTIGER

SUNBEAMTIGER TDPRI Member

Hi guys, my absolute favorite "lockdown" rig is my tele through a Roland Micro Cube. I bought mine used on Craigslist for $60 and if you can't find a decent tone that you can live with out of it then you didn't try. I used to have a Fly 3 and it stunk like hot garbage - figured I'd feel bad if I sold it so I gave it away. I've had my microcube for 3 years now and it's NEVER leaving. Main amp is an AC15 but I find myself plugging into the cube 90% of the time around the house. AC and battery powered, mine has travelled to the beach/campfire/backyard and currently sits waiting in my living room for tomorrow's session. Give one a shot, I highly recommend it. I know the THRs do sound better and certainly have more connectivity/recording bells and whistles if that's your thing but it's not hard to find a used micro cube for less than a 1/4 of the price of a THR and IMHO, the THRs don't sound that much better! I'm also not a pro or a gigging musician and when I play it's for my own personal enjoyment with friends and family in my home or other close quarter environment and the Roland fills those needs perfectly. Stay safe everyone!!

7. winnsworld

winnsworld TDPRI Member

I've got a Blackstar Fly 3 in the lounge and a Blackstar ID Core 10 in my study which is a step up from the Fly.
    Both have the headphone option if you want to crank it but they can also give out a good sound at low volumes.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

I´ve got the Blackstar Fly3 too and agree that´s a cool little thing. But the real deal for me are the BOSS Waza Air headphones. What a full sounding and fantastic solution. Real good built in sounds but it also works perfect with my pedalboard at home. I´ve got them already before the crisis but in these times I love them more and more. I can stream recordings from my band to the headphones so it´s a little bit of rehearsal feeling. Or new songs to play with.

[​IMG]

Mr. Neutron, matrix and Jlwctn like this.
  9. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Lock down...or not...low volume or not. Easily set up to run dual amps of se6L6 (top) and/or Muchxs Champ (seafoam), tube buffered pedal board or via mixer to powered computer spkrs or AKG 240 cans...along with a stable of 4, 8, 10 or 12" spkrs via a weber Z-matcher.

10. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:eek: How'd that work out for you?

I do the same thing I've always done: keep the amp cranked pretty high, and control volume from the guitar. That keeps it sounding pretty good at low volume, although of course more glorious when I turn it up. I'm reminding myself now that this would be a good time to work on my Buchanan-like volume swells.

Big amps sound better playing softly than little amps sound playing loud.

11. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful natural Tele

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

The One Watt Blackstar tube heads are affordable and they have reverb and they sound great. They can also be quite loud.

[​IMG]

This is my best suggestion. Assuming that you have decent headphones or earbuds and a phone filled with music; get on ebay or Reverb and find an Express Pod ($40 used) or a Pocket Pod ($55 used) by Line 6. You can plug in your phone or any external music source and your guitar and all the guitar effects are in stereo and it sounds heavenly with good headphones. Delay goes side to side, trem, vibe or chorus waver side to side and the reverbs are great.

[​IMG]

The Express Pod is so simple - as you rotate each knob you get different sounds within a category - they're all tasteful. It has a tap button for delay length or vibe & chorus speeds. With the Pocket Pod you can tweak everything and save your own sounds. They're kind of a sleeper product that went the way of the big Pod but lucky for us they're cheap and they sound great and they're indestructible. There are 4-5 unique sounds within every category on each pot - for instance under "twang" there are several twangs - etc.

They also have tuners. They are really nice!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    FenderGyrl likes this.
  13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I have a Pocket Pod, a Micro Cube and what I use all the time

katana.png

14. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Holic

Hi guys, just to let you know what I did, I got a Behringer VAmp with headphones or into my sound system and that's how I'm rolling now; and when the wife goes to the deck I play with the amp.

But to be perfectly honest with you, after a month locked-down I have a lack of inspiration, I don't know what to play I tried to practice scales and learn songs but somethings missing, but that is subject to another thread.

Thank y'all to chime in.

15. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

I've really enjoyed my Roland Micro Cube for this type of thing over the years. For low volume pleasure playing all of its effects and amp models sound good enough for me.

16. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I've had a POD XT plugged into a Tech 21 power amp for quite a few years now. Plugged into, and controlled by my PC via USB, it's a lot of fun.

I also have a Vox Pathfinder 15R (and an AC4 TV8) but if I just want to noodle clean and not too loud I'm always drawn to my little Vox DA5. It's a terrific little amp.

17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I'm using my AC15 turned way down on the clean channel and seriously, it's not that loud.

I also have a Fender Champion 20 and I've used it for really low volume too. Hey, it's only a hundred bucks for one brand new.

18. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Looks like the op has sorted his needs.
    But for other ideas 3 methods of quiet headphone practice I use are.
    Strymon iridium,
    Vox amplug.
    Pc with amp sim.

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Where’d you find them? I thought maybe they weren’t released yet because I haven’t see them in stock.

20. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Low volume?o_O

Start coughing if someone comes to the door.:eek: Kidding.

My nearest neighbor is at least a quarter mile away. Daytime, no problem.

Late night I run through my X32 and headphones. Tons of effects at my disposal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.