1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Low Volume Dirt from a PR

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Josey, Sep 17, 2015.

1. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

I know you said no pedals.... but you should really try a Wampler Black '65. It makes a perfect 'gain channel' for a blackface Fender. I've been using mine for a few years now, with a PRRI and now a Vintage Sound 15. It's got that magic sound.

This demo is good because they're playing it through a PR.

2. =JL=

=JL= Tele-Meister

That really does sound very, very convincing. Better than my Princeton does with an attenuator.

3. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Wampler Black '65

I run a Wampler Clarksdale (gain at five) into a Wampler Black '65 (gain at zero) on my board for good SRV tones on all my Fender amps.

The Black '65 even makes even a BF Fender amp sound more BF Fender. If that makes any sense.

I use the Black '65 primarily to improve tone and rarely use the gain on the pedal because it is a fairly low gain pedal and I need a little more gain for Texas Blues type tones.

I find the Gain Boost on the Black '65 unusable, but still it's one of my favorite pedals and I have no plans of it ever leaving my board.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  4. PooTwang

PooTwang Tele-Meister

Try and run a 16 ohms instead of 8 ohm speaker load it won't hurt anything, cuts the volume a bit

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I never found the impedance mismatch thing really knocked down the decibels much. I also like to keep vintage amps matched even though old Fenders can take a lot.

There's some really bad information on the net and in a book or two about huge impedance mismatches for attenuation. The guy that wrote that horse hockey must own a transformer company.

6. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

What guitar are you using? I have a 67 PR and I noticed with my strat I have to turn it up to 7-8 before I get nice breakup. However with my LP it crunches beautifully after 4 on the knob.

7. 63tweed

63tweed TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Bearfoot Honey Bee

8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Greer ghetto stomp is what you want

9. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I really like the OD-3 with 10" speakers. While somewhat similar to the BD-2, the tone control has more useful range and the decay seems a bit smoother. Here in Nashville, they can be found used for under $50. The DOD OD250 might also be a good choice if you can live without a tone control.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Speaking of Nashville - the Nobels ODR-1 is a fave of that crowd with Fenders. For good reason.

11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I use a Hotplate with my DRRI for home and lower volume gig rehearsals. works perfectly. Very happy.
    I use same too for my Vox and Marshal amps.
    They are not cheap but I bought used. Hard to find used.

Have also used a joyo American sound in the front of the DRRI non attenuated for super low volume kids are in bed playing. A surprisingly very effective pedal indeed. And stupidly cheap.

12. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

Well if you go for a pedal, I suggest a TS 808. Classic for a reason. I have found that the 808 HW and Analogman modded TS to be the best I've ever used.

13. drob

drob Tele-Holic

I use an earthquaker devices speaker cranker as my dirt channel for my 65 reissue. Single knob. Awesome. If I'm playing with the band, I just crank it clean. The sc sounds similar to the cranked amp

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.