1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

low to medium gain stomp box?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dmoss74, Jun 15, 2015.

1. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping Tele-Meister

Yes. Barber LTD.

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

3. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

you know, i tried my sd-1 last night, and really tried to dial it in for low gain stuff. it actually does a good job, and i like the gain structure, as is. however, it has that mid frequency bump to it, that all the ts type pedals seem to have.

i wonder if there's a mod that can be done to the tone knob, that would do a better job at keeping the inherent tone from the amp i'm playing through. sweeping the tone knob--as is--isn't getting the sound like i would like it.

that's probably counter-intuitive to what that pedal was designed for, but if it did that, i'd be quite happy with just keeping it for that purpose.

4. Chiogtr4x

Just my two cent, but IMHO this is exactly what a Boss Blues Driver can do, at low Gain settings on the pedal ( Gain @ 9:00-10:00,Level at Noon-1:00 and Tone 11/NOON is just where I go...) It really seems to give me a good/complimentary breakup that really leaves my gtr>clean Fender amp alone! ;)

5. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

thanks, i am pretty sure gc stocks those, so maybe i'll go try one out.

6. Chiogtr4x

The Blues Driver is NOT for everyone so try it out (GC gives you 30 days...) see if you likey.

It does what I stated at low Gain settings and can do cool things at cranked Gain settings ( ex: If I max out the Gain and Tone controls on a Blues Driver, and then turn my guitar Tone OFF, I can get a very good FUZZ)., but in the medium operating range of the Gain knob is where you have to be careful as the distortion gets kind of wooly/buzzy and can overwhelm a good clean tone. A big plus with the BD-2 is that it is very dynamic and even at high Level and Gain settings, really cleans up with guitar volume knob

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Just perfect for me. The extra tone and clipping controls make it easy to dial in what you need.

[​IMG]

8. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I'm sure that video has sold a shed load of Gain Changers. Barber should pay Mike Herman a finder's fee for all the business he's brought to them.

9. sjturbo

sjturbo Tele-Meister

For around $50 on the used market you can find a D'lectro TOD V! I just picked one up and think it is one of the best clean OD's you can buy! Or you could pick up a Timmy! Yes I realize that the TOD V! is supposed to be a clone of the Timmy but I bought the TOD based on a ytube clip I heard. I love it.

10. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I've gone a different route to get low subtle gain - a Boss LS-2. This is a line selector in which the clean and OD can be blended. If I was doing it from scratch, I would get a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive or similar, where there is a clean/OD mix control.

In OD boxes, the Bad Monkey is the smoothest I've tried, and it has good tone controls.

11. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

Very, very happy with my Tim! Also have a Timmy clone which is super nice too.

Used to have a Barber 1/2-gainer which is a tricked out LTD with two channels.

The Tim is IMHO much smoother in the top end and overall very pretty sounding,

Another pedal which is super flexible is the Tech21 Double Drive. Does everyhing from light hair on the tone to fuzz meltdown.

12. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Mesa Tone Burst- mostly boost, but has nice grit if gain pushed hard.. and sounds great

13. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

If you want low to medium gain look no further. I am blown away by this pedal.

J5

14. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I've looked at:
    TC spark
    EP booster
    SD pickup booster
    COT 50
    Catalinbread kama suture
    Keeley katanna
    Boss Blues driver

15. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I play several times a year. Many times there are other bands playing the same venue at different times. Everything from blues, gospel, motown, country and classic rock. The majority of overdrives I've seen are still the TS808, TS9, BD-2, and SD-1. All used for low gain.

16. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Anyone tried SviSound OverZoid OZ01?

Sounds pretty good in intheblues youtube demo.

17. thecornman

thecornman Tele-Meister

There are so many pedals on the market right now that can do this well with the market being flooded with overdrive pedals. There are also lots of them that do it in the well under 100 range. I would suggest going out to a store and trying as many as you can. Might not be able to try out all the boutique this way, but you don't need to spend that kind of money to get good stuff anyways. I use either a OD-3 or SD-2 myself and both work great in the band mix.

18. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

There's as many suggestions as there are forum members so all I can do is make my obligatory recommendation:

Bogner Ecstasy Blue

8 consecutive months of no dirt GAS thanks to this puppy.

19. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel TDPRI Member

Hi, I'd highly recommend the Joyo Vintage Overdrive. It's a great pedal, very subtle & I get exactly the right amount of gain I want without the tone getting killed off. Effective controls. Really great, and super cheap - Only £30 in UK (Ebay), I got mine new in an ebay auction for £22 - Bargain. I have to admit I spent an extra £3 getting replacement knobs as I hate the yellow ones. The yellow knobs ended up on my cooker - improved the tone of my pizza's no end.

Attached Files:

20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I very rarely hear a drive box I don't like

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.