Low-output humbucker

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Bjackcity, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

Trying to find a good low-output bucker for my duo sonic HS. Just recently installed a Seymour Duncan duo antiquities in the neck and need a good counterpart for the bridge now. I was looking at the mojo-tone 59’s in aged nickel. Let me know what you all think. Anything else out there that will marry nicely with the antiquities?

2. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

Crickets....

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to not know if this is truly appropriate because I have a different style guitar. I have Lollar low wind Imperial models and love them. They make my Collings electric sound more like an associates two vintage Gibsons than many modern Gibsons I've tried. The low wind description is deceiving to me because they still drive amps to overdrive.

kookaburra and Ben-Zion like this.
  4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

P90 or Gibson mini, maybe?

5. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

Low winds will definitely drive amps to overdrive just not as fast from what I know compared to high outputs. To me this allows more tone articulation prior to breakup. Seeing as I have that single coil vintage spec duo antiquities clocking in at 6.3 k.in the neck, It seems logical to go with a low wind 7k neck pickup for the bridge. However logical really means I don’t have enough understanding to know if the two will compliment each other or sound like night and day?

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Something like a TV Jones style will be lower winding kohms to match what you are trying to do. Some import ebay pickups sets have 8kohm neck pickups in them ($15/set) and I find them as low internal capacitance that I suspect they are hand-wound...

Don't forget you can adjust pickup heights to compensate for pickup strengths, that includes any humbucker screw pole adjustments. I have some I drop the humbucker as low as they go and raise the screw poles up to get the sound I like -- more Tele and P90 but with hum protection.

Zepfan and Bjackcity like this.
  7. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

I really like the Dimarzio EJ Customs. I put a set in my Gretsch G2655T and it really opened the top end up. The following video sold me on them.

zippofan and brookdalebill like this.
  8. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

Decently priced. Fairly low resistance for a bucker, 7.85k I’ll definitely consider looking into. What I’m looking for ultimately is all three positions to compliment each other when switching between the three. I don’t want the bridge to sound like I kicked in a boost pedal. That’s why I’m wanting to stay as close as possible to the necks 6.3. I’d imagine anything over 8 will do just that and sound outta place. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Duncan Jazz, DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell (a misnomer), TV Jones Classic, TV Jones Supertron, Guild Humbuckers (big or small), DeArmond Humbuckers.
    All low output, all great sounding, IMO.

DHart and Bjackcity like this.
  10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’ve owned this guitar twice now, its fun. I liked the stock pickups, and the spit bucket sound was good too. I think any HB you put in there is going to jump on the bridge position.

Are you sure you want to match resistance? I’d be looking at inductance too. All this points to a TV Jones Classic or Classic+, but that means the pickguard won’t fit as well.

Bjackcity likes this.
  11. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

Don’t wanna match it just stay close as the originals were. Now I know we’re talking vintage which was almost identical in resistance ( in the duo case it was)I just want it blend nicely in the mix of the three positions. While still maintaining that vintage vibe.(btw I hate using that word vintage), which is why I assume around 7-7.8 k would best fit that bill.

12. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

After looking at the tv Jones that may be the route I need to take!

13. reactor99

reactor99 TDPRI Member

You might also want to consider the Wilde (Bill Lawrence) L-90 twin blade, perhaps in 2.8H or 4H inductance. They produce a very clear sound in case you want that.

Bjackcity likes this.
  14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A 7.8k Gibson humbucker is a different animal compared to a 7.8k single coil Fender pickup. The Filtertron is going to be around 4K but it’s going to louder than most average or low wind Fender single coil, like your Ant Duo Sonic. Thing about Filtertons is they want to live close to the strings for the fullest sound, so keep that in mind. I balanced a Classic+ with a Jazzmaster (around 8k) before, but I had to bring the JM pickup close to the strings. In other words, the resistance isn’t that important a number, apples to oranges. What kind of tone are you looking for with the bridge pickup? If it’s ‘vintage Duo Sonic’ then I’d just put another Antiquity Duo Sonic in the bridge pickup location (new pickguard).

Bjackcity likes this.
  15. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups :rolleyes:

bgmacaw likes this.
  16. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Lindy Fralin will make anything that you want. A good bet that is will sound very musical, too.

chegel01 likes this.
  17. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Duncan Pearly Gates.

18. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace TDPRI Member

Anything based off of the PAF will be relatively low output 5-7k output for a humbucker

Guitarmadness 57 or 59, or the alnico 2 or 5 covered.
    Gfs has paf clones

19. chegel01

chegel01 TDPRI Member

Take a look at Curtis Novak goldfoils.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

20. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Any decent lower output humbuckers should work. Some great suggestions already! The mojotone is a good idea, maybe even their lower output model might match well with the neck ant.

Whatever the brand, you'll be on the right course to match the neck ant with a lower output model humbucker in the bridge. Happy Hunting!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.