1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Low Gain Pedal That Sounds Bold?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mimirr, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

A graphic EQ that can boost may be the silver bullet. If you have an OD you don't love, an EQ pedal can fix that. If you have an OD that you love, an EQ can enhance it. EQ pedals are one of those things that can always be used.

Kevin Emmons likes this.
  2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

That's going by YouTube videos, right? IMO, it doesn't sound that way when used in the flesh.

Also, most videos of the OD-3 tend to have the gain set too high, and oftentimes the tone knob gets left at the same spot. Just rolling the tone knob back a bit will usually really smooth things out.

IMO, if you crank up the gain on a Bluesbreaker, a Nobels ODR-1, and the OD-3, and you don't pull the tone knob back, all of them will sound sharp and jagged.

Actually, between the Bluesbreaker, ODR-1, and OD-3, I like the OD-3's tone control the best. I can quickly hone in on the sweet spot where to set it, w/o having to constantly fool with it.

But my advice is to not be fooled by what you're hearing in those YT videos, at least with the OD-3 demos.

RetroTeleRod and Mimirr like this.
  3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have the T.C Electronic Spark. I works for me, the price was nice it sits after the Keeley 4 knob compressor
    with the Sweetwater limited custom paint job which makes it sound groovier than the normal groovy groov-o-licious
    Keeley 4 knob compressor. they like each other a lot.

Kevin Emmons and soundchaser59 like this.
  4. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

another good one is The Dude. it does a ton of different gain type things. to me, it's fiddly to set where I want it but really kills once you get there. Dumble in a box

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You should probably buy as many ODs as possible. Based primarily on watching YouTube videos and recommendations from the internet. Many of which will be exact clones of things you already have.

msg315 and Phye like this.
  6. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

Yeah, I tried to watch some good quality ones, but it's still YouTube.

What amp are you using? Apologies if you have already written about that.

7. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

...and when lifting heavy objects, the key is to put it all in your groin and your back. Take your legs totally out of the equation. Lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion.

Phye and MilwMark like this.
  8. MilwMark

That’s the ticket. Especially if you can cave a knee or two.

:lol:

Phye and Mimirr like this.
  9. 11 Gauge

The OD-3 isn't on my board right now, but when it was, I was using it with an old Super Reverb, an old Vibrolux Reverb, and an old AB165 Bassman head. I also used it for a few years with a Quilter 101 Mini (original model), mostly on the 'surf' voicing (supposed to sound like a BF Fender).

The common thing with all of these amps is that I run them clean, because they're all stupid loud at the point where they get dirty on their own. So for this setup, drive pedals are a necessity.

Mimirr likes this.
  10. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

maybe one pedal that has combines 8?

11. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Behringer VT999
    Swap the stock 12AX7 for a 12AU7. Soft-ish clipping via the valve, and a very effective three band EQ powered by an array of op-amps.
    Blackstar HT Overdrive. Another valve based beauty, but this one uses voltage voodoo to boost the operating voltages to 'interesting'
    Joyo American Sound or the Tech 21 original. Much loved for a reason. There are pedals to emulate the Vox and Marshall sounds too in the AC Tone and British models.
    A compressor/limiter at the front end of your pedal chain, set just so can have a wonderful effect on everything downstream of it.
    EQ pedals are not to be sneezed at. Too much bass?, recessed mids?, slide those sliders. A loop pedal ( -NOT- a looper ) will allow you to have a pair of pedals activated with one stomp if needed.
    An attenuator. If you like the sound of the amp cranked, but your neighbours don't, attenuators can be your friend. Messrs Fletcher and Munson mess with your hearing a little, but an EQ pedal can restore the balance to a large extent.

12. MilwMark

He already has one pedal that combines 5. Likely several of the ones I. That Joyo pedal.

13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Bluesbreaker would be my #1 choice (on a budget: Mooer Blues Crab; investing more: Snouse BlackBox)

Blues Driver is another great choice, but can be a bit harsh/fizzy if you play it in a very scooped and trebly amp.

Tim S likes this.
  14. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

IMO, if It was Marshall's intent to have the Bluesbreaker pedal as something that sounds like the Bluesbreaker amp, they failed miserably.

Other than that, I love my Cmatmods Butah.

Thinliner likes this.
  15. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

The tone control is my biggest issue with the OD-3, which is otherwise a fine pedal IMO. You’d think turning up the tone would yield more clarity and cut. Instead it just adds a layer of harsh fizz. Turning it down to smooth things out just makes it dark and dull. Maybe I just don’t have amps that the OD-3 gets along with.

16. 11 Gauge

I've said before that the Bluesbreaker and Shredmaster were two variant designs to the Guv'nor. All three are pretty basic op amp + clipping diode designs.

The names that Marshall chose are simply that - just names for distortion or OD pedals. It just so happens that they recycled the Bluesbreaker name for their OD pedal.

The truth be told, the Shredmaster is the only one that has any sort of circuit that approximates what you have in an amp - it's got something similar to a tone stack as found in a T/M/B amp. The only issue is that the contour control that follows it is nothing like what you have in an amp (that I know of), so again - there's no evidence that Marshall was trying to replicate what any of their amps do (IMO).

As much as I love the Bluesbreaker and Guv'nor, all it took was for me to A/B them with actual Marshall amps to realize that they don't emulate them. It's not to say that they don't sound good, and I personally prefer using a rig that's like an old Vibrolux Reverb with a Bluesbreaker for my dirt, as opposed to a JTM45, which will only give me clean or dirty, depending on how much it's turned up.

I also realize that many users don't know what's going on under the hood, so I'll probably just have to repeat this info for some time to come. Hopefully some folks are paying attention, and it sticks in their memory at some point. :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    teletimetx likes this.
  17. 11 Gauge

I think that's a possibility.

I've found that you want 100% of the dirt coming from the OD-3 itself. If you've got any subsequent preamp clipping happening, the combined harmonic content that results can be pretty buzzy.

And some amps have speakers that are great at producing lots of treble in the 2KHz - 4KHz range. Harmonics up at around 3KHz are something that the ear is really sensitive to. If you've got clipping that results in 5th-order harmonics in that range, it's going to sound unpleasant.

Looking back, I think my absolute best results with the OD-3 have been with my AB165 Bassman head with a 2X12 cab with WGS ET65s in it. The preamp stays clean way up the volume dial, and those speakers stay smooth in the treble frequencies.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    D_Malone likes this.
  18. MilwMark

@11 Gauge can correct me.

But I think the other thing is that the dirt on the OD3 is so clear, folks may not realize that is is clipping A LOT. Huge amount of clipping available o that pedal.

So “conventional” low gain levels of clipping require the active knob to be almost off on the OD3. Or to roll the guitar volume back a bit if the drive is set higher (the pedal responds very well to that).

19. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

These are great choices, but I think that an EAE Halberd might be perfect. It's a bit shaggier, and it's tough to base an opinion on YouTube demos because it sounds really different depending on the guitar, amp, and other effects in a chain. I think people find it underwhelming because they hear it sounding huge and heavy in a demo, but that's because the topology of the amp lends itself to that. I think the 5150 would be an interesting amp to pair it with. It's one of my absolute favorite pedals for both subtle grit and blown out drive (while maintaining a shocking amount of articulation). John is also a really cool dude in addition to being a brilliant designer, and everyone should check out some of his work at some point.

JanOak likes this.
  20. 11 Gauge

Yeah, lots of clipping in the OD-3, and other than the tone control, the treble content isn't getting rolled off in the circuit. With a TS, the treble is heavily rolled off after the clipping stage.

Since the OD-3 doesn't have a strong mid emphasis (WRT some other ODs), you hear the top end much more easily.

So I think this is probably more of an issue of many of us actually preferring OD pedals that aren't really 'transparent'. You can run the gain higher and not produce so many unbridled harmonics, and then you don't have to worry about the amp potentially further emphasizing those harmonics.

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.