1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Low flow shower heads

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BiggerJohn, Nov 14, 2012.

1. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

I hate these things. Obviously the idea is to conserve water use. However, the flow rate is so durn low that you have to spend extra time in the shower to get all the soap rinsed off. That extra time equals more water used.

It's like those low flow per flush toilets. If there is a large load, you may have to flush 2 or 3 times during the process to get rid of it all. More water is used again.

I understand it's the law that plumbers can only install low flow devices and that's all you can legally buy at Home Despot. I sure would not want to see anyone get in trouble.

However, there is plenty of info on the web on how to mod the shower heads to get some flow rate back.

Tonight I tear into my shower head. It will be nice tomorrow morning to be able to take a quick but thorough shower once again. I've had it with that thing.

Anyone else here pull the plastic restrictor from theirs?

2. telebuc

telebuc Tele-Meister

I couldn't get it out of my Waterpik model. The "instructions" suggest you simply yank it out with needle nosed pliers, but its a flat disc with nothing to grasp with a pliers.

3. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Honestly, for the difference in flow that's required to rinse quickly - you're gonna use more water. It's a lot nicer experience, for sure, but you're not gonna save anything but time. Plug the drain and compare if you want, but I've not had any luck with saving water by going higher flow.

The toilets can be a problem, but you can get well-designed models that will still flush a winter coat with 1.28 gallons. Check out Terry Love's website for reviews... I'll vouch for the Toto Drake working well.

http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

4. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Drill bit... 1/8 inch should do the trick. I know that sounds tiny, but that will probably double your water flow. You might even want to try 3/32's first.

Not trying to start any trouble, but I suspect the water use laws vary from state to state...

5. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

I think it's a Fed law that all shower heads sold now have to be 2.5 GPM or less, and that covers plumbers who install them. However, I don't think those laws apply to John q Public who installs his own or tries to mod one. There is no shower head police. They'd never know.

I'd rather have higher flow so I can get in and out quicker, even if it does use a bit more water.

Seen those Y adapters that lets you use 2 heads?

6. greytop

greytop Tele-Holic

Oh my. Feds in my shower now too. Sad, very sad.

7. Carzee

Carzee Tele-Afflicted

Hey, look over there!!

[meanwhile western standard of living keeps trending down]

8. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

I was thinking along the same lines the other day.

Wife bought a new shower head, one of the low flow ones. Barely even get wet taking a shower now.

No problem with the toilet. Huge tank on it, quadruple coiler goes down with no problem.

9. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

I'm surprised nobody's posted that Seinfeld episode up yet.

10. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i know someone who takes a regular flowing shower head with them on vacation and a wrench to change the hotel shower head

11. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Why not order a new shower head online? It's not a law here, as far as I know. I've got one of those "mutli" shower heads (turn it to get different patterns). Bought it at Wally's.
    It's got a hard hitting shower setting, love it.

12. jkrischan

jkrischan Tele-Afflicted

Be careful I've heard the shower head police are always checking Internet forums for scofflaws .

13. zooropamofo

zooropamofo Tele-Afflicted

I tried the Billm mods on my shower head. They worked great. I also have an original Silverface from the 70s with a much fuller throatier flow than the current RI's available at Home Depot!

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I need power....

- When I find a good shower head, sometime I will get 2.. (backup) hard to find.

15. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

...and they DON'T regulate the outside water hose hand sprayer thingies you can purchase all day long at Home Depot. Makes me want to attach it to my indoor shower head.

What I DID find also annoying is the sewer usage on my WATER bill goes up with more water use. This means that, somehow, the city water company knows how much water I use AND how much water goes out as sewage. Maybe it's just a formula...or maybe they have a meter in the sewer system. Either way...I'm paranoid.

16. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There are are about 50 houses in our neighborhood. In 2007, we were the first and only house in the neighborhood, for several months. We had more water pressure than I ever though possible. Taking showers was like being a hosed down like a zoo animal. Absolutely amazing. As more and more folks finished their homes and moved in, the water pressure dropped down to a normal range. It's still pretty good though.

I have replaced the shower head once already, just because of lime/calcium buildup. And since we prefer the cheaper basic shower head anyway, it's easier to replace it than try to clean it.

The replacement did have a "restricter plate" in it. I have no idea what the law is around here regarding that... but after the first low flow shower, I pulled that sucker off and removed the restricter entirely. It had a little tab that I was able to grab with a pair of needle nose pliers.

17. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Low flow doesn't interact well with a hirsute torso.

18. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I pull the tab out before I ever put it in.

Can't stand trying to shower in a motel.

19. Carlsson

Carlsson Tele-Holic

I think you can get black market full-flow shower heads from Serbia. Just beware of the Commando 450.

20. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

That's how it works here, too. They don't meter the sewage, they just assume that all the water you use eventually goes down a drain. To counter the argument that watering the lawn doesn't go down a drain, they don't bill you for anything more than what you use in the winter.

What really annoys me is that the per-gallon (actually per 100 cubic feet) billing rate for sewage is nearly three times the rate for water consumption.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.