Low end '68 custom deluxe reverb vs '68 custom vibrolux reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by David De Vos, Jan 23, 2020.

1. David De Vos

David De Vos TDPRI Member

Hello there,

I am in the run for a new amp.

It is gonna be a new fender 68 custom deluxe reverb, or a fender 68 custom vibrolux reverb. (22 watt 112 vs 35 watt 210)

I have read tons of reviews and threads on all sorts of fora, but I am still have 1 questions with an answer that is not yet clear to me.

Which amp of those two has the best full tight low end.
    Which one can deliver a nice and full oooomp.
    I will use him at home and at gigs without drummer or basist.

I can't play or test them here where I live, so I wonder if anyone can help me out.

Thank you.
    David.

2. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

If your after break up vs clean headroom go Deluxe Reverb.

Vibroluxes have headroom and will probably struggle giving you the oohmp.

If you want clean headroom go Vibro.

6l6 has more headroom for sure vs the 6V6 not just that but Deluxes preamps are hot and hit the signal harder than most think cauasing early break up in power tubes.

3. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

If your just after a tighter low end the 210s VIbro should perform better for this purpose OP. Go Vibro.

@David De Vos

Fretting out and gridlock like this.
  4. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I'd say a 6L6 amp will almost always have more low end than a 6v6.

5. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Say that to my Princeton lol...

But either way I feel the 210 is the main advantage here.

Fretting out likes this.
  6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

You have a Princeton with more low end than a 6L6 amp?

AlbertaGriff and nathanteal like this.
  7. David De Vos

I know this is a difficult one.
    As i read before... Some say CDR some say CVR

The headroom isn't that important for me in this case.
    Espicially the tight oooomp is now important.

Yesterday i tested a super sonic and the sound i am looking after was close but not spot on!

The-Kid likes this.
  8. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

I wouldnt say that but as much for sure thanks to its 112.

BOOST bass scoop treble.....plenty of bottom end here baby.

The preamp has massive headroom and this helps too

9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

It’s not easy to understand what you mean by “tight ooomph” in this context. You usually need “oomph” when you’re playing in a full band and need some firepower. That does not seem to be your case.

Also: one perceived advantage of the Deluxe is that it breaks up earlier, but from what I read that’s not relevant to you (which also raises the question: why a ’68 and not a 65 DRRI? YMMV but for clean sounds, and noise-free performance, my limited experience is that the 65 is better).

Do you mean nice, round cleans, with a good bass? Both amps can give you that, although the V'lux might give you a bit more (I love 6L6 into 2x10”… that’s my Tremolux, which is a cousin to a V’lux and a wonderful amp… but I stray).

All in all:
    - You cannot go far wrong… Deluxes and Vibroluxes are great, and likely any of the two can be tweaked to your needs if you don’t like its sound “out of the box"
    - I recommend you also consider a DRRI 65, for the use you must make… used, they’re EVERYWHERE
    - there is no way anyone on this forum can tell you whether a Deluxe has a nicer clean sound than a Vibrolux because that’s terribly subjective, even if you put in descriptors such as “Oooomph”, “tight bass”, “firm bass”, “bold tone”… . I’m sure that in Belgium (or nearby Netherlands) there is some shop that holds both… find it, travel with your guitar, A/B them and come home with the one you prefer. Or scour your local used market.

- FWIW If ever you see a BF Tremolux head… that’s a Vibrolux without reverb ;D … and most often, without a cab :(

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    King Fan likes this.
  10. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Id think you may favor 6V6.

A lot of squable come from dudes definitions of certain characteristics. In this case low end, oohmp, thight, fat etc etc.

One opinion of what that might be is different than the next persons.

You may just prefer 6V6 amps. Try out the DRRI it maybe what your after if you want more headroom then try the Princeton 112 versions as they dont break as early and have a gradual taper.

11. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I have the 68 custom dr and also 68 custom pr.
    The pr has the same brand and model 10 inch speakers the vibrolux has two of.
    I replaced the pr's speaker as it wasn't very tight in bass end.
    The dr's speaker is quite tight and even sounding.
    Difference volume wise between 22 and 35 watt amp won't be much, headroom possibly without a speaker swap in vibrolux.
    The scenario you describe I would go with deluxe. I played in 5 piece country band for several years with hard hitting drummer. Deluxe reverb was my live amp mic'd up.

12. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Vibrolux, nothing beats 2 10’s.

13. 73camarors

73camarors TDPRI Member

I'm no pro but I did the same thing read alot of post and articles. I ended up buying both and I like both after a speaker change in the vibrolux (from ten 30's to wgs g10c) the deluxe is full of classic fender chime and bells and have found there isn't much difference in clean headroom but if there was a winner it's the deluxe. The vibrolux break's up just a touch earlier. The vibrolux is fat, thick on the bottom. I like both amps with the telecaster but with my heritage h-150 or h-535 it hard to get the bottom dialed down with the vibrolux. The original celestion's in the vibrolux had even more bottom (bass). The reverb and vibrato is great in both amps but different. The deluxe came with a celestion g12 type-v and I tried a few different speakers in it (et-65, g12c, vintage 30) but liked the type-v the best. I have played both amps live with a full band and both keep up. So that's my 2 cents hope it helps. I know they'll be those who talk about tubes and 22w vs. 35w. But having both amps on stage to do an A/B test that's my conclusion. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

14. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

'Which amp should I get?' is always a bit like 'What girl should I marry?' But we can look at factors beyond subjective sound.

The CDR (or especially DRRI) will be easier to sell or trade later if you don't love it; it may not bring more money, but it may move faster because more people know it.

OTOH in terms of 'loved' or 'favorite' or 'special', folks often seem to feel more passion for the VR than DR family, and this is even more so for the CVR -- I've seen quite a few folks say it is the best of the CPR, CDR, CVR series; maybe one of the best of all the current 'reissues.'

Will you like it? Ummm... :)

15. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

6L6 are hard to beat for this

16. David De Vos

Because it is wasn't possible to AB the 2 amps.
    I ordered myself de Vibrolux.
    I love it in all its ways.
    Maybe I will order a Deluxe and AB them at home...
    Anyway, this style of amp is what I was really looking after.
    But I just want to AB them, with my tele's, les pauls en Gretsches...

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  17. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was considering both and went to GC and tried them both in the iso demo room. Both amps are great. The Vibrolux had the Twin vibe to it (solid state rectifier). The Deluxe was warmer and had more lowend. This is the Guitar Center Red face plate model that came with the 150watt Celestion Redback. Now that its broken in. its even warmer/rounder. Clean headroom is about the same on both amps because they share the same output transformer. If I played surf, Vibrolux, but for fusion it's the '68 CDR.

18. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I prefer 12” speakers over 10”s but I prefer 6L6’s over 6V6’s so a tough call without playing both amps. I’ve owned a 68 Custom Princeton Reverb, played a few 68 Custom Deluxe Reverbs, but never played the ‘68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb.

I’ve owned quite a few vintage SF and BF Vibrolux Reverbs and Deluxe Reverbs. My two favorite models of Fender amps that I’ve owned. You probably can’t go wrong with either choice.

Congrats OP for buying the 68 CVR.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.