Low e string issue

Svoga_____

TDPRI Member
Hey, it's been some month since i bought a new guitar, but i now have a issue with the low e string.

At first i had nothing to say about the instrument, but when i changed from 10 gauge to 9, the low e string started buzzing hard, since the original nut was poorly cutted, i changed it thinking it would resolve this. This morning, i tried to tune it, and the exact same buzzing was there...

So, it's clear it's not the nut to me, i adjusted it and the string is just a bit higher when on the fret one when i push on the third, surely not the neck that seems to need no adjustement. I also mounted the sadle the higher possible and checked the frets hight, the string sit always higher than the frets after so it's not that for me.

The buzz is there when i play the open string and from the first to the 7-8 frets and it's totally gone on the 10 and after.

I dont have much more idea about this issue, maybe the sadle is the problem and should be fixed but i dont know how to determine it or fix it. Also this guitar have a "floating tremolo" i dont know if there is another name for it but you can see it on the guitar here. The tremolo was 2-3 mm higher than the body and now the end touch it when in neutral position, but how could it cause this issue and only after lowering the gauge ? And last but least likely, this particular string is poorly made and i should juste change it with a new one.

Thanks for reading this, i hope someone have better ideas than me or i'm just gonna take it to a professional luthier.

dougbgt6

Tele-Meister
Have you checked the truss rod? Press at 1st fret and highest fret at the same time, there should be minimal gap around the 12th fret. No gap and the neck is bowed backwards, big gap and the neck is bowed forwards. Your symptoms suggest bowed backwards.

OR, did you re-use the same 9 gauge strings? You may have a dodgy E string, it happens.

What scale length do you have? I just bought my grandson a Squier 3/4 size Strat, it's a lovely thing, not a toy, but it has a short scale. It was bizarrely fitted with 9 gauge strings, everything buzzed! I put on 10s, better, but not ideal I'm contemplating 11s or raise the action.

Doug

Svoga_____

TDPRI Member
Sorry it wasnt clear but yes the trussrod is adjusted, so it's not that i guess.

I reused it, if i dont find any other thing i'm just gonna put a new one and see, i hope i didnt change the entire nut for that X)

It's a 25. or 635 mm scale lenght.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I have one guitar where the low E buzzes a lot, no matter what I do.

But there's one over-riding cause. This happens a little on all my guitars (and, I assume, all guitars); but it's really prominent on this one.

It buzzes like hell on the up stroke, and hardly at all on the down stroke.

I'm probably a complete doofus and everyone else has known this for years. But it only occurred to me a few years ago.

So anyway, when I play this particular guitar I have to modify my style if I'm playing single notes on that string.

kuch

Friend of Leo's
You might want to install a set of 10's and see if it resolves the issue. If it does, the problem is probably the nut or the neck relief.

BTW did you check the saddle on the E string. I don't know how it happens but sometimes the saddles have to be readjusted when you change the strings.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
Raise saddle on E string after making sure the string is seated properly. Don't pick as hard on lighter strings. Make sure pickups aren't hitting the string.

Freeman Keller

Doctor of Teleocity
Before your touch anything measure everything. It is explained in great detail in the first couple of pages of this

Your measurements will tell you exactly what is wrong and what to do about it. Making a lot of changes before you know what is wrong will just make it worse.

archtop_fjk

Tele-Afflicted
I currently have this issue on one of my Telecasters with a brand new Fender neck (frets are basically untouched). The low E string rattles when fretting the first five or so frets. I've seen this to varying degrees on other guitars of mine and after adjusting the saddles, truss rod, and inspecting the frets, I've determined that the main issue with this guitar is slightly high frets around the 6th to 11th frets (using my fret rocker straight edge). As Freeman says, though, measure everything and then take the least intrusive course of action first. I will likely end up doing a mild fret level (I have done this before and have the tools). One thing to keep in mind is that if (like me) you like a low action, some low E fret buzz is inevitable, but may not be too noticeable if you palm mute the lower strings.