Loving my Fender Concert II - Am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Kelleycaster, Dec 6, 2019.

1. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

No..you are playing an amp that can be deliver the goods !! enjoy maximus !

2. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

I have the 12 inch speaker and put a neo in it. That cut down on some of the weight.

Teleguy61 likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure if the Concert has the same lead Channel, but clipping the treble cap on the lead level pot made a massive difference in my Superchamp - lost the buzzy fizz. That, and Alessandro speaker transformed it both clean and dirty.

Paul G. and Rockinvet like this.
  4. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Good tip. I have Super Champ and Champ II and the Concert. I love those amps. Oh of course I have a SF DR too.

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The other thing that may help is changing the 12AT7 for a 12AU7 in the reverb driver. That does reduce depth in the reverb, but it smoothes the drive channel a bit and levels output to the clean volume.

Rockinvet and Tim S like this.
  6. Kelleycaster

Kelleycaster TDPRI Member

Great explanation, Chris M. Thanks!

Mine is actually the 1x12 version. I'm curious what the diferrence in tone/loudness is between the two.

Cool! Which speaker configuration do you have?

I just recorded a 1 minute sample of some clean and overdriven tones. Everything at room volume, no pedals used. If you or anyone else wants to hear it, you will have to PM me your email. Then you can post your thoughts on it here. If there's a better way to share larger files on here let me know!

7. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

No it's not.
    They have great clean channels and it's the first time I hear something is "wrong" with them.

Teleguy61 and MilwMark like this.
  8. Kelleycaster

Kelleycaster TDPRI Member

Good to hear, cuz I certainly didn’t hear anything wrong with it...

9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Fenders with a single 12" are also a cool format, lol. Double speakers offer some more dispersion in a room (good and bad), get louder before speaker breakup (good and bad), a impedance options to match a transformer for optimal saturation, etc. 10s might offer the advantages of better mids or 12s might offer the advantages of low end, etc. They are all good really, and can be exploited to good effect.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've never heard that "general consensus" either.

FenderLover likes this.
  11. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Excellent amp, built like a tank.
    I was fortunate to get one that had been owned by a pro, so it was in great shape--upgraded speaker, replaced electrolytics, bias resistor replaced with a heavier duty one.
    Mine has what seems to be a mid boost on a pull switch on the bass control of the normal channel, which I can't find on any schematic.
    I also think the normal channel is very smooth. I use the second channel just for a mild gain boost and added mid for gigging, and it works well.
    Really nice reverb too.
    Bit heavy, but like I said, built like a tank.

12. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

That was a great era. The Champ II is the only Champ built like anything I do to them. Also, rare.

13. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

The mid boost is on the treble pot on the Champ II, and is shown on the schematic and layout:

Attached Files:

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

1-12", but sometimes I'll use an additional 112 cab...

Kelleycaster likes this.
  15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

the Concert is a true two channel amp. It does not use that reverb driver tube for the overdrive function as do the Super Champs, Princeton Reverb II and some other Fender amps....the Fender 30/75/140 amps for example.
    Imho, these two channel Rivera era amps could benefit from a revoicing of the Lead channel. The tone stack is identical to the other channel. Ommv. my only problem with the concert and the TRII is that for my purposes, the amps are to9 loud by the time I get the output section sounding full and rich. I would have to have a good attenuator for one. hey, I probably need a good attenuator for a Super Champ!! I like the master volume above halfway as a minimum...to get the output section into the game. Below that level, the amps lose richness and fullness, imho.

Dacious likes this.
  16. ZiggyBlue

ZiggyBlue TDPRI Member

No. You are not crazy. I have a 2x1O Concert II that I had Blackfaced simply by removing a few resistors or something. I can't remember the name of the mod. But it really transformed my amp into a Blackface monster on both channels!!! It now sports 2 Weber Michigan speakers (as if it wasn't already heavy enough). Beautiful tone! I'm loving it.

17. Patton

Patton TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I bought a Concert 4-10 brand new in 1983 and LOVED it. Yea , I was in my teens (saved a lot of cash to make it work) but couldn’t believe how great it sounded. Mostly the clean channel with my pedals. Plus I could move something that big back then easily.Then a guy saw us play and offered me a 1962 2-12 blond bandmaster in trade. I wasn’t stupid so I did it. The bandmaster got stolen from a storage facility in Las Vegas in the 1990’s (long story there) and I wish I had either one back.

I do have a 1982 Champ II and an 83’ SC so for my home stuff I’m covered. Still.......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.