Loving my Fender Concert II - Am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Kelleycaster, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Kelleycaster

Kelleycaster TDPRI Member

I’m an acoustic player that knows just enough about electric guitars to add a little color to my recordings with a Tele I built from a kit, so maybe I just don’t know enough about good vs bad tone to discern the difference...
    That being said, I’m totally digging the tone and versatility of my newly acquired all original 1982 Fender Concert 1x12 (in near mint condition, too!)! I was hoping to find an amp that could handle small-medium gigs with a master volume that would allow me to achieve a nice breakup tone at room levels as well. This amp (to my ears) seems perfect for that.
    The general consensus on the Rivera Concerts seems to be that the clean channel is just so-so, and the drive channel is useless. That sure hasn’t been my experience so far. To me the clean channel sounds pretty much like every other Fender clean tone, and I quite like the drive channel as well. The master volume very effectively allows me to achieve anything from clean to lots of overdrive at room volume for recording. Some of the overdriven tones I was able to dial in sound more like British Vox tones them something I’d expect to come out of Fender. The mid boost is also a neat feature.
    All in all, I’m very pleased with this amp, and I don’t understand why so many people can’t stand the Fender Concerts.
    Am I just too out of touch with the tone world to tell the difference?

Attached Files:

Skydog1010, Geo, teleaddicted and 5 others like this.
  2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

It works for you ... Which is all that matters ... The fact that others don't agree only kills market demand ... And lowers prices ... Which is a plus ...

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think all the Rivera Fenders are brilliant although the dirt channel is a bit hair metal in tone— by design. But the clean channel delivers big time. Love my Super Champ.

Kelleycaster and Fiesta Red like this.
  4. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

That is the most under rated amp. I have one and it is my second one. A good trick is to use the second channel as a clean channel with just enough juice on it to make your pedals sing. Yes put pedals in front of that channel. You can adjust that channel to get some pretty good sounds without overdriving it by itself.
    Also the first channel is a good clean channel. The amp has just enough power for most venues too. I got sick of lugging a twin and the Concert was a little lighter for outdoor venues when my deluxe couldn’t handle it. All in all they are good amps. I also own a Suoer Champ Rivera era and a champ II. You will have all kinds of opinions on those amps but, I like mine. They are also reasonably priced hand wired amps.

5. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

If it works for you, then to heck with what others think! That being said, I've always liked guitars (and amps) with oooh factor. You know, when you open the case and other guitarists go, "Oooooh!" Hate it when they go, "Eeeeew," though! That happens when I play!:rolleyes::lol:

6. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I had a 4x10 version of that amp, and only used the clean channel. I thought it was wonderful. I only sold it because that particular version was too large and heavy, and the combination of its height and my lack of it made it difficult to carry.

Kelleycaster and Fiesta Red like this.
  7. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The 410 was my first tube amp. Carried that beast around to rehearsals, jams and the occasional gig throughout the 90s. The crunch that amp delivered was basically useless for the type of grind I was trying to achieve. But my Rat sounded really nice through it. And truthfully, I had no idea about dialing in decent tones in those days.

I mentioned this very amp on another thread here a day or two ago, but I’ll repeat this: that Concert had the best reverb I’ve ever had. By comparison, the two silverface reverb amps I’ve owned since have a much more overwhelming, mushy reverb. Turn those reverbs on about 1.5, and you’re in the neighborhood... close but no cigar.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Rivera era Concert and loved the clean channel. Great Fender chime!

9. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I had a 2 x 10 in the 80s. It was a great amp. Played it in a band for several years and got lots of compliments on the tone. I was the rhythm player and pretty much used the clean channel.
    I have heard them referred to as 3/4 of Twin.

If I could find another 2 x 10, I'd probably snag it.

10. Kelleycaster

Great replies guys!

Glad to hear there are still some fans.
    Yeah, it works for me, so who cares what anyone else thinks...

Rockinvet likes this.
  11. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

nothing crazy about it. i have only heard good things about these amps.

don't they have a buffered effects loop also? that would be a huge selling point to me. i was snooping around Reverb last month looking for one. as far as i am aware, Fender has never issued very many amps with effects loops included in the stock configuration.

Kelleycaster likes this.
  12. Kelleycaster

13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Effects loop allows you to place effects after the pre-amp and before the power amp. If you have any significant distortion in your pre-amp then time-based effects like chorus and delay
    typically sound better if they are after the pre-amp stage rather than before it, for the same reason one usually puts delays and choruses after their dirt pedals on a pedal board.

An effects loop also allows you the choice of putting a boost pedal between the pre-amp and power amp. If the pre-amp is already distorting, hitting it with a boost pedal will just
    make it distort and compress more, but the output won't be louder. If you put the boost pedal after the pre-amp then when you hit the boost your output will get louder without
    much change to the distortion level assuming there is adequate headroom in the power amp stage.

Buffered means there's a buffer vs no buffer. For example there are true bypass pedals and there are buffered pedals like Boss pedals, for example. There are also buffered and
    non-buffered effects loops.

Fender didn't really need effects loops when people were playing them very clean, maybe with just a touch of hair on the souund. In this situation you can put time based
    pedals in front of the pre-amp and it sounds just fine. No need for the "four cable" approach for your pedals. But since the Rivera era amps were designed to produce significant
    distortion, for those that wanted to use the amp distortion then having an effects loop became more important.

Tim S and Kelleycaster like this.
  14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

They are one of several Fender 2x10's that have a lot of merit for those that can pull the tone from them. Vibrolux, Vibroverb, Super 210, etc. A Fender with two 10" speakers is a cool format.

Kelleycaster likes this.
  15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

My Fender Concert has become my main gigging amp of late. I use the second channel but set it clean and use pedals. I don't really like the clean channel. Great amp...

Kelleycaster and Rockinvet like this.
  16. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Fender hyped the doo doo outta those things when they came out. They weren't screwing around. They set out re- visit their glory years and build the best amps in the world. Again.

Whether they succeeded it open to debate.

The amps have a small but deeply disturbed following.

Dave Alvin uses one, the 4x12" version. He can have any amp he wants. He wants that one.

Sound quality sucks (it's the video) but go about four minutes in. Dave is really into it and you can see his amp.

Check out his cigarette rap around 6:30.

Les H, Rockinvet and Kelleycaster like this.
  17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Any recorded tones you can share. Just snippets is fine. I don’t know those amps.

Kelleycaster likes this.
  18. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I had the Concert II 410 for a few years. I can’t remember
    even where I bought it - maybe Daddy’s???
    Anyways, Fender changed the name and the cosmetics and called it the “Super.” I must admit the Super was a lovely looking thing BUT it was still a Concert II under the Armani Suit.

Kelleycaster likes this.
  19. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Hear w/ your ears and not w/ your eyes..
    Trying to find gear that is "acceptable" to every one in every situation is a fools errand; amps? doubly so.
    Buy what you can afford that sounds pleasing to you, then work to make music with it.

Kelleycaster and Controller like this.
  20. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

that’s what I’m talkin about! That second channel is definitely sweet if you experiment with it.

2HBStrat and Kelleycaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.