Lovin' Leslies...

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

Just to save money I have an aging Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble ( just standard Boss pedal size) that I always set to get a very similar sound to this - kind of an all-purpose Fast Leslie/ organ tone
The unit is pretty versatile for Chorus settings, but I leave it alone

( I do also have settings for a subtle ' Skynyrd Chorus sounds diagram on pedalboard lid!)

drmordo

Tele-Afflicted
Cold Shot isn't a Leslie, it's a Fender Vibratone. It's Leslie-ish.

I bet Jimmie is playing thru the same thing (maybe the same amp!) but I don't know that.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire

I bet Jimmie is playing thru the same thing (maybe the same amp!) but I don't know that.

Familiar with Vibratones, but just assumed it was Leslie because he did like to play through them and used one onstage when I saw him. But I wasn't there when this was recorded, so don't know for sure! I believe what seem to be overdubbed accents sound more like a Leslie than his rhythm.

drmordo

Tele-Afflicted
Familiar with Vibratones, but just assumed it was Leslie because he did like to play through them and used one onstage when I saw him. But I wasn't there when this was recorded, so don't know for sure! I believe what seem to be overdubbed accents sound more like a Leslie than his rhythm.

I remember reading it in an interview in Guitar Player. In the 90s I had a crappy solid state organ, but it had a rotating drum like the Vibrotone. I sure wish I had gutted it and made a guitar cab!

I guess I should add - I love Leslies too!

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I remember reading it in an interview in Guitar Player. In the 90s I had a crappy solid state organ, but it had a rotating drum like the Vibrotone. I sure wish I had gutted it and made a guitar cab!

I guess I should add - I love Leslies too!

Well, I call them "swirlies" regardless if they are Leslie, Fender, or otherwise branded. I love the sound - ESPECIALLY in the same room!! I would love to have one, but have neither the money or space for one. I would probably prefer a Vibratone as the Leslie looks a little too much like furniture one would find in a church. Plus it must be a monster to move. I have a cheesy pedal that gets me in the neighborhood....o_O

drmordo

Tele-Afflicted
Well, I call them "swirlies" regardless if they are Leslie, Fender, or otherwise branded. I love the sound - ESPECIALLY in the same room!! I would love to have one, but have neither the money or space for one. I would probably prefer a Vibratone as the Leslie looks a little too much like furniture one would find in a church. Plus it must be a monster to move. I have a cheesy pedal that gets me in the neighborhood....o_O

I'm the same. I have a few pedals I mess with and software when recording. That said, I could easily buy a Leslie for the studio if I found one for a good price.

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted

Yeah the Leslie rotating speaker cabs have some really cool sounds in 'em. The Leslie G-27 and G-37 rotating speakers are still available from Analogman (not affiliated with them). I got my G-27 about 5 or 6 years ago and have used it on several gigs. I use a handcart and IMHO it's worth hauling 'em around for the sound you get from 'em.

Oh yeah, I do remember those Fender Vibratones. Those had a cool Leslie sound.

https://www.buyanalogman.com/category_s/510.htm

BrnoCowtipper.jpg
LeslieCab.jpg
LeslieG27.jpg

Last edited:

John Frets

Tele-Meister
Jesse Ed Davis used one quite a bit, I believe. Check out his solo on Bacon Fat.
He wrote this song, "Farther on Down the Road," with Taj Mahal.

drmordo

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah the Leslie rotating speaker cabs have some really cool sounds in 'em. The Leslie G-27 and G-37 rotating speakers are still available from Analogman (not affiliated with them). I got my G-27 about 5 or 6 years ago and have used it on several gigs. I use a handcart and IMHO it's worth hauling 'em around for the sound you get from 'em.

Oh yeah, I do remember those Fender Vibratones. Those had a cool Leslie sound.

https://www.buyanalogman.com/category_s/510.htm

View attachment 925775 View attachment 925777 View attachment 925778

Great, now I'm going to have to buy one!