Lovepedal Brownface Deluxe 4 knob pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by blowtorch, Jun 12, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Tell me how awesome this pedal is.

Thanks

2. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

ponce and blowtorch like this.
  3. blowtorch

Is the 5e3 one the brownface one? Isn't the brownface one the 6G3? My understanding there is the lovepedal blackface deluxe pedal, the lovepedal brownface deluxe pedal , and I'm a little confused about this but I think there may be a lovepedal silverface deluxe one, too. And I know that for the lovepedal brownface deluxe pedal, there is the 2 knob, and the 4 knob versions.

I'm interested specifically in the lovepedal deluxe brownface 4 knob version

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

All I can say is the the one knob Lovepedal JTM is everything it lives up to. This Brownface Deluxe is the most intriguing pedal for me to follow. If it really delivers like the JTM, I am going to get GAS like I have not had in a long time. I assume you need to run this through a Fender clean type amp just like the JTM.

I'll be following this thread closely ... or perhaps I should ignore it to eliminate tempt.;)

blowtorch likes this.
  5. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

I have the 4-knob black one and the silver 5e3 Deluxe one. Both fantastic. The 4n stacks well with COT50 too. Had the brown. Good but like the others I mentioned better. And get a Tchula if you haven’t. I have the gold one. Oh, and the White Tiki too.

kevsonic and blowtorch like this.
  6. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

It's amazing how specific a pedal can be targeted; the 5e3 would be the tweed version, I believe. Here's another thumbs up:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/npd-less-is-more-lovepedal-deluxe-4-knob-6g3.772688/

I just started down another version of this rabbit hole - picked up a used version of the Catalinbread 5f6, modeled after a tweed bassman. It's early in the game yet; I'm running this through a BF Tremolux head and it sounds pretty good on the clean side, still working with dialing in my version of the hair of the dog, etc.

7. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Your confusion is understandable. As the website has many words that tell you nothing about the pedals.

But they have names and point jobs that evoke warm and fuzzy nostalgia about revered gear they supposedly sound like.

Then if you are like me you’ll find they all sound basically the same. But with so much level and such a high noise floor they are unusable even in loud band settings.

YMMV of course.

High Head Brad and ponce like this.
  8. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

I know what you mean. Plus so many other variables come into play that it’s impossible to truly recommend something except for your setup and your style of play. I sold off my Red Zen pedal as I found I could dial in my White Tiki practically identically. That said as similar as they all are there are nuances that can hit sweet spots that sound wonderful but can also be hard to explain and difficult for someone else to repeat. But what works for you works. So it’s fun to try and see what you can dial in. And usually if you bought smartly you can sell off for at least what you paid.

9. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Can't be so. Next you'll probably tell me some crazy story about my Freekish Blues Alpha Drive being a repainted Joyo Ultimate Drive....

TelePunkJCM likes this.
  10. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

I haven’t heard of the Freakish one but something tells me it was expensive and then found out to be?

11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yes. It caused a huge ruckus on The Gear Page a while back.

12. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've got the 2 knob deluxe (and the tweed twin) that is based on the 5E3. Yes it is awesome...I have been trying to sell my catalinbread 55 after about 5 seconds of using the lovepedal

13. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

I got one during one of the sales.

It makes my solid state Pathfinder a little Fendery, nice overdrive. The bass and treble work well, especially stacked after other pedals. Can add some thump or dial out mud. I rotate between it and a Gain Changer, not that they are that similar other than they do good low gain. Along with 75 other pedals...

Into my Egnater Tweaker, meh. Doesn't add anything super interesting. The difference between the Gain Changer becomes much more apparent.

14. High Head Brad

High Head Brad TDPRI Member

sounds nothing like a Brownface Deluxe. Typical Lovepedal marketing BS

15. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

I have the Blackface Deluxe pedal and I like it. Good low gain pedal - as rich815 said, it stacks well with others and to me it exhibits a pretty amplike interaction with pick dynamics and with the volume knob on a guitar. I gigged for many years without drive pedals and I like a box that cleans up well.

It's more than forty years since I owned an actual Deluxe, so I can't say whether or not it's dead on to the amp it's named after. But I liked it enough to buy a Lovepedal Super Six for a slightly higher gain version of the same type of drive. Got them for $50 each through the SNS sales.

Despite the names, these aren't really amp-in-a-box units - they're dirt pedals. Good ones, but the end result is still highly dependent on what you're playing them through. Fenders and Boogies seem to like them better than Marshalls do. The two I've got have a certain blackface-y feel & flavor and that's enough for me.

Never owned a small brownface Fender myself so I can't really speak to those. (One of my vintage blackfaces is a '64 Bassman rebuilt to the blonde-era 6G6a circuit, but that's a far cry from a Deluxe.)

16. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

I own both the Blackface and Brownface pedals.

The Brownface deluxe pedal is low-gain, and works great with single coils and low-medium output humbuckers. It's not a high-gain pedal, but it stacks well with different overdrives. I use it on my "top 40s" board where it makes its appearance on songs that require 'clean-ish' guitar sounds.

I never play totally clean, so I pair the Brownface with a bit of light compression, and it works for funk, country, jazz etc.

I never saw it as an amp-in-a-box pedal, but more like a dirt pedal with amp-like characteristics.

teletimetx, blowtorch and Obsessed like this.
  17. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

I had one and quickly sold it (glad for those half off sales!!). It's a great dirt pedal, but not unlike pedals I already have. Same goes for the Wampler Tweed and a couple others.

As others have said, a lot of this is very amp dependent. I think the reason why many of these pedals sound so good on demo videos is they are being used to push a tube amp on the verge of breakup. You get the characteristics of the pedal combined with natural tube breakup. I play through a pedal steel rig, my amp is clean and all headroom, thus many of these pedals don't sound great for me.

Having said all that, I just got a Crazy Tube Circuits Falcon. Very happy with this one!

blowtorch likes this.
  18. blowtorch

Tell me about that pedal, please. Seems reviews are a little mixed. Looks pretty hi-gain, and the idea kinda reminds me of the MHP Evelynn Dual Drive.

Online clips seem kind of strident in the highs, but yet pretty versatile, within the hi-gain realm

19. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

20. blowtorch

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.