Lovepedal 5E3 Deluxe mini-review

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telel6s, Oct 26, 2020.

1. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I bought my Deluxe 2-knob back in March 2019 but it wasn't until this weekend that I had a chance to use it in a band situation. It sounds good at home but out of a band context I couldn't have done any real sort of review.

I had an audition Sunday with a local cover band. Not being critical of them, but this is nothing special. Just some folks who learn typical rock and a few country covers to play small winery, brewery, bar and private gigs. I brought my Hamer Special P90 (the Tele is undergoing electronic surgery at the moment) and a VHT Special 6 (based on BF Champs) through a 15" Weber. The other dirt pedal is a SubDecay Flying Tomato fuzz with knobs set up to act more like a distortion pedal. AutoFilter, Comp, Delay & Reverb rounded out the board.

Short story: I was really happy with the Deluxe. I had it set for unity with the straight clean tone. Volume around 11 o'clock and drive around 9. With guitar volume on 10, that's a lot of dirt going on but just pull back to 8 and it starts to clean up nicely.

The Deluxe has a 3-way toggle to set headroom. This was the biggest revelation playing with another guitar, bass and drums. At home that switch feels like it creates real inconsistent volume so that if I go from the least headroom to the most headroom I also have tweak the Volume and Drive knobs. But in the band setting that was never an issue. So for harder edge stuff or slide I'd have it in the least headroom position, but for a slightly cleaner sound like on some country tunes I'd go to the most headroom position but wouldn't have to make any other adjustments. I never used the middle position, but that might be just the right setting for other players.

The Deluxe also worked great for adding some grit to short riffs behind or in between vocal lines. I'd strum with the pedal off, then turn on the Deluxe for a riff, then back off. The way I had it set changed the tone enough to stand out without jumping on top of the vocals.

Finally, the Deluxe played nicely with the other pedals. I used a Comp after it for either a clean boost or country-style compression. More fun were the Auto Filter and Fuzz in front of it. The Fuzz + Deluxe for a heavier lead tone or end-of-song outros when the drummer was going to town or the other guitarist was playing a bit too loud (in my opinion, of course). And the Deluxe reacted well to the Auto Filter which I've found is not true of all overdrive or distortion pedals.

Does the Lovepedal Deluxe sound like an actual cranked 5E3 Deluxe? Heck if I know. I used to own a Marsh 5E3 clone but that was so long ago I can't remember. But now that I've gotten a chance to use it for two and a half hours with another guitar, bass and drums I'm real happy I picked it up last year.

Finally, I bought the Lovepedal Deluxe for $75 shipped on one of their Saturday sales. But now that Lovepedal is on hiatus at the least or out of business at the worst, these are being list for $130 and higher. I've no intention of selling but somehow that's still nice to see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GearHund and dlaroe like this.
  2. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I have the 'tweed twin' Lovepedal thing, which has a 'deluxe' setting. It doesn't sound anything like a tweed amp---of any kind. And yes, I have owned and used quite a few vintage tweed amps from Champs to high power Twins. It's just an overpriced dumbed down fuzz circuit. I never use it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    GorgeousTones, igor5, dshobe and 2 others like this.
  3. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I have to the 4 knob one. It's does decent "low gain boost/eq/warming" thing on my solid state amp. I didn't pay much for it. I bought a bunch of his pedals for cheap during some of those sales. I'm happy with all but the Champ pedal. That one does nothing for me.

4. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've got the same pedal- I dig it a lot. I sold off a caitalinbread formula 55 after I got the lovepedal

5. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Electra distorsion nothing more being marketed as Uber r&d.

They're the worst.

6. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I really don't have any use for it. It sounds terrible. Unless I want a cheap fuzz tone. I don't. R&D...LOL.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    dshobe and High Head Brad like this.
  7. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

Yep.... Lovepedal's 'marketing' is questionable at best. The pedals are often poorly built (see the toggle switch on the picture in the OP as an example) and often very noisy.

And I agree with @JRapp that it doesnt sound like a tweed amp

dshobe likes this.
  8. dshobe

dshobe NEW MEMBER!

As is often the case in life, you pay for what you get with Lovepedal. Had my fair share back in the day. I wouldn't keep one if it was given to me.

GorgeousTones and High Head Brad like this.
  9. calfzilla

calfzilla TDPRI Member

All of his R&D has been done by two entities... the DIY community and Paul Cochrane. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen/played a single Lovepedal that wasn’t a popular DIY circuit or a Timmy with some small tweaks. And I don’t mean “add a BMP tone stack where there was none” or anything so technical (/s); I mean simple part/part value substitutions. I think the most original thing I’ve seen from LP is adding trim pots in the Uni-vibe circuit for additional shaping.

Luckily if you like his sounds, pretty much any DIY’er can make his stuff.

High Head Brad likes this.
  10. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Holic

Interesting, never heard the hate before. I have three Lovepedals, a Mosferatu, MK III and a Monkey Fist fuzz and really like all of them. The MK III is one of the best mk 1.5- fuzz facey pedals ive played, i got this cool voltage starver called a Dead Bat that sounds awesome with it.

11. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I have a slew of Lovepedals and find that they are the pedal tones my ears wanna hear. I get that others don’t like them. That’s why we have so many pedal makers out there. But LP threads do bring the haters out.
    I have and have had several tweed amps and find that the Les Lius and 5e3 pedal sound tweedish at best. Not really like my 5e3 amp or my 5f1 amp...Or my 5f6a circuit....but they both also sound absolutely fantastic. I like the Les Lius better. So it’s a modified Electra Distortion unit. Who cares? It sounds freaking great. And it’s not even one of my top 5 Lovepedals. Sean’s ears and Alf Hermida’s ears match mine tone wise.

12. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

The Les Lius sounded so good in Andy's PGS demo! Don't they all though?

Researching it led me to the Lovepedal drama but more importantly to the schematic, then Runoffgroove, then Shock Bros and a finally Boothill 5E3 kit.

I'll always be gratefull but I still haven't built a Les Lius.

It's on the list, maybe after I buy a Galaxie mod and Timmy v3 I'll feel like cloning the Lovepedal and ZVex stomp boxes I've always wanted to try.

Speaking of which I've got a form to fill out.

13. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

Not a hater---it just doesn't do what it's advertised to do, doesn't do what I wanted, and doesn't sound good for anything else. OK by you?

GGardner and calfzilla like this.
  14. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Don't build one.

They draw more noise than a j201 build.

And I did 4 of them with BMP tone control (which they would sell for 80$ more).

15. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

By the way lovepedal hate often comes from people who clone them, and not from those who build them.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I've got the Lovepedal JTM with similar great results. I think the success with these pedals have a lot to do with the amp it is pairing up with. @telel6s success might have to do with using the VHT S6 with it's Fendery BF circuit for the "Deluxe" pedal. I too run Catalinbred 5F6 and Formula 5 and the Lovepedal JTM amp emulation pedals through the S6U (6V6) and an old Fender Champ 12 (6L6) with excellent results. Point being, these "amp pedals" are Fender circuit base emulations running through Fender type amps. My guess is that trying to get a Voxy clean through an Orange amp might not have similar success.

telel6s likes this.
  17. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Ha ha ha ha. :lol::):p:D;)
    I forgot how mostly cool and laid back TDPRI still has few trigger topics.
    Had I remembered about the Lovepedal issues I may not have posted.

My review was only about the sound and my usage of the pedal. I'll get back to you in several years regarding build quality, but I see nor feel no problems compared to lots of other things I use. Not sure what the supposed issue with the toggle switch is. It's solidly mounted and switches between the three settings -- what else do you need?

Re: going the DIY route - that's cool, but for those of us who aren't set up for that either skills-wise or with the equipment/parts on hand, it's not as easy or cheap as some make it out to be. If you want to DIY five or ten pedals, it works out. If you want to DIY just one pedal I found it is less expensive to buy something already built. Just my little bit of research into it.

Sure, Sean tweaked, updated and remarketed old circuits. But isn't that what a whole lot of pedal (and amp) makers do? Didn't Leo base his first amps on circuits provided by tube manufacturers? Didn't Jim Marshall take off from a Bassman circuit? And most people don't seem to have a problem buying the latest greatest Klone instead of an actual Klon. A lot of these great new digital reverb and delay pedals are based on the same underlying chips and it's the programming that makes them different. So are they all copying and tweaking the same thing or are they making something entirely new? And do you think they are writing all their code from scratch or did they start with some basic code for simple reverb or delay and then start adding to and modifying it?

Also, love-love-love my Lovepedal Rubber Chicken. So much fun and much more versatile than I had realized auto filter pedals could be.

The Lovepedal Hermidia EPH-3 is an always-on pedal for my acoustic guitar. The pre-amp sim in that just does "something" that I really like.

I will say that the list price on Lovepedals seemed quite high to me. If you google up the LP Deluxe 5E3 and click on the Add To Cart button, it shows $225. Ummm, no....not paying that kind of money. But, again, I only paid $75 on the sales that LP did on a fairly regular basis.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Lies&Distortion likes this.
  18. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

Do you really think that toggle switch is well mounted? I cant recall seeing any pedal that doesn’t have a metal ring around the hole in the enclosure. But as someone else mentioned, you get what you pay for. I know one Person who had terrible issues with that switch after a little while.

Good luck to you if you like the pedal.

calfzilla likes this.
  19. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I got a MKIII on sale back whenever. Liked it but never spent much time with it. Lately I have, it has grown on me. Adds an interesting harmonic edge that I don't get from various other fuzz pedals.

Also, yeah, that switch mount is ridiculous. Accident waiting to happen!

20. calfzilla

calfzilla TDPRI Member

It should be just fine, but the ones who always want to bring up “haters” can’t stand anything negative being said about LP. It’s a weird double standard. If someone likes the sound; cool. But let’s not pretend anything under the hood is mystical or unique or even part of “the builders talent”. Cheaply built tweaks of long established circuits marketed well.

JRapp, High Head Brad and emisilly like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.