Lovecraft trilogy films in the works

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

The problem with adopting ATMOM is that there's really no plot to speak of. It basically boils down to a couple of dudes exploring the ruins of an ancient alien city. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it would be hard to make into a 2 hour film.

Ditchgator likes this.
  2. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Interesting. My mother's family comes from a place disturbingly similar to Innsmouth. (Creepiest kids I've ever seen.) I really enjoyed Lovecraft when I was a lad.

Do hope Nick Cage isn't involved, though.

Ditchgator and AAT65 like this.
  3. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Right but not well....

I think any attempts now may get caught up in CGI and lose the dramatic creepy appeal.

it's been a while since I read them but if I'm not mistaken Cthulhu doesn't appear in Call of Cthulhu or any of them except as legend.....

What was the one that's on a desert island with all the hieroglyphs and such?

Time to read them again! One benefit of getting older I can reread stuff as if first time as long term memory fades! :D

tweedman2001 likes this.
  4. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

That would be a huge undertaking but it's one of my favourite HPL books.

Ditchgator likes this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Do you think a Lovecraft movie would fare better if it were animation?

Snfoilhat likes this.
  6. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I want to. I thought that was a good book.

7. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

The youtube channel Horrorbabble has all of the cthulhu mythos stuff, maybe the entire lovecraft catalog, as well-done audio with interesting but not over-the-top narration, pro production quality.

Lovecraft's schtick leans heavily on phenomena that are indescribable, unnameable, too horrible to recount (even in a short story where the narration is a character giving a recount). It's retrospective and psychological, the individual characters trying to piece back together overwhelming events, and the most overwhelming stuff gets left out.

Putting that stuff on the screen as a literal representation of what is happening right now, action movie style, just makes for a movie about a rubber monster puppet.

Godzilla became a generation-crossing classic, the puppets in Alien and Aliens may be scary at first, but it's still puppets. Change the background music or the dialog a little, and suddenly the tone can totally different and you've got Gremlins. Or Spaceballs.

I enjoyed the 60-ish minute silent film style version of Call of Cthulhu. Good balance of campy and arty and an honest take on the story.

8. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

The idea of Hollywood making an H.P. Lovecraft movie fills me with a sense of horror.

David Barnett and alathIN like this.
  9. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

LOL! I don't do this 'me, too' very often, but LOL! I blew coffee though my nose!! :lol:

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Isn't that the idear?

11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yes, I've watched it at least ten times, then I read the novel. loved it.

12. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I agree with all of this.
    Also, as much as I admire Lovecraft's writing, a lot of it draws on his fears of foreign people and cultures. Or even sub-cultures - his aversion to rural, not-formally-educated people makes fairly regular appearances. So if you're not too disturbed by foreigners, rednecks, and old things, some it comes across more quirky than scary.

That said, the Case of Charles Dexter Ward could be made into an extremely disturbing movie. Still though, a lot of the creepiness is like you describe - stuff you suspect is happening, rather than what is described in detail.

Ditchgator likes this.
  13. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I went through a Lovecraft phase back around 2006. Read everything he wrote. Sadly I can't recall any of it now. I recall liking it, although I didn't feel any of it was disturbing or horrifying. It was certainly interesting, and I enjoyed the way he told a tale.

I can't imagine Hollow-wood doing him justice. They can barely handle PKD, I have no idea how they'll manage HPL and keep the spirit of the stories. Looks like I'll need to re-read some of his works again, just to get my head back in that space.

I like HPL, but it seems Hollow-wood must be scraping the bottom of the barrel if they are taking on his work. Let's face it, it's going to be a niche they are trying to market, a very small niche, unless they completely ruin them to make them palatable to the average viewer who needs fast paced action, fast editing and romantic interest in order to have their attention held. HPL is the kind of writer probably best done by guys like Kubrick or Tarkovsky to get the right feel and vibe.

chillybilly likes this.
  14. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Most attempts to film Lovecraft's stories don't fail because the monsters can't be put on screen convincingly. On the contrary, with CGI, anything can be put on screen nowadays. The movies fail because too many people simply don't get what Lovecraft's stories are about. This isn't always the fault of screenwriters and directors. More often it's because so many people are involved in the decision-making behind a film. If even a few of them are afraid to risk their money by trying something different, they can ensure a film never veers off the familiar, well-beaten path.

I've attended the annual Lovecraft film festival in Portland, OR, almost every year since 2002, so I've seen more Lovecraftian-themed movies than most people are even aware exist. Only the fully independent, tiny, inexpensive productions get close to capturing Lovecraft's vision of cosmic horror. Anything with a substantial budget tends to borrow just enough of Lovecraft's ideas to sprinkle its marketing with some Mythos jargon and a few tentacles, then twists those ideas into the same familiar shapes that have already proven profitable in a thousand other horror films.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  15. Doc3

Doc3 Tele-Meister

87897AF2-42A1-45BE-835C-1203614AF50F.jpeg
    Get woke, go broke. Disney has destroyed a billion dollar franchise by getting woke. Changing Hal, one of the main characters, to a young female will change the dynamics. Hate to be the one to break it but there are physical differences between the sexes. Follow the perfection of Issac Asimov's writing. I don't need a bunch of fuzzy headed Hollywood pukes lecturing on Crapola and inserting their opinions into classic literature.

Glad it was decided Bond would not be a black male transvestite who identifies as a unicorn.

https://babylonbee.com/news/new-sta...somehow-surviving-without-non-binary-pronouns

New Star Trek Series Features Utopian Society Somehow Surviving Without Non-Binary Pronouns

"As always, the new series takes place within the United Federation of Planets, a utopian intergalactic society that apparently exists somehow without the use of non-binary pronouns. In Picard, the title character is a heterosexual cis-gendered white male who, of course, has spent a lifetime leveraging his unearned privilege to achieve a high-ranking position in the military-industrial complex known as “Starfleet.” The show also features appearances from several other Next Generation alumni, all of whom just happen to be gendered according to their birth sex, rather than selecting from the 452 other equally valid gender identities.

Along with the familiar cis-gendered faces, Picard introduces a mysterious new character named Dahj, whom we inexplicably know to be a girl, despite nobody taking the time to ask her gender identity. In fact, the whole universe appears to function perfectly fine for some reason without anyone interrupting the story flow to introduce their “they/them” pronouns, express outrage at being misgendered, or yell, “Stunning and Brave!” every time an LGBTQ character enters a room. The notion that a futuristic society could operate so flawlessly without including all 576 unique genders might just stretch the “fiction” in science fiction beyond belief.

Other problematic themes in the series include food replicators that clearly use GMOs, and disagreements wherein nobody is compared to Nazis."

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  16. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

@Doc3 I wasn't intending to provoke a gender politics diatribe from you that will undoubtedly break forum rules and that goes many miles beyond my comment. My tone was perhaps too snippy and I apologize for that. Having read the Foundation series frontwards and back many times over 35+ years I don't think the characters' gender is relevant and in that context I have no issue with the casting liberties taken. You obviously have quite strong feelings to the contrary; fair enough.

As mutual fans of the series, and Asimov in general, I hope they do right by him. I still get mad thinking about the cinematic travesty of I, Robot :mad:

17. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

H.P. Lovecraft looked up at the stars at night in horror imagining what was out there.

18. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Me, too. Dagon was solid.

Bruxist likes this.
  19. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i'll probably see this in the next week.

the best lovecraft adaptation so far is still reanimator, but that story is an outlier.

the thing is better lovecraft than most lovecraft movies.

20. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've always thought that Alien is the best Lovecraftian movie ever made. especially the alien spacecraft.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.