1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Love the Pro Jr but it's too loud for practice. Would a Champ do the trick?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Boy_Narf, Jan 5, 2021.

1. overlook1977

overlook1977 Tele-Meister

I literally played a pro jr and a champ reissue side by side today and can tell you the champ is not really that much more quiet.

2. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Depends on a lot of factors.

I don't have a pro Jr to compare but I do have a PRRI which is also a 15W amp with a 10" speaker and no MV.

Speaker makes a big difference. The 10" 98dB sensitivity in the PRRI is louder than the 8" 95dB sensitivity in my Champ clone. It
    moves more air and produces more low end.
    PRRI has more headroom so getting to the edge of breakup territory is significantly louder than on the Champ.

Finally, the 15W 10" amp is loud enough for small shows without having to have a mic in front if it to the PA. The 5W 8" speaker amp is not even close to loud enough for that.

But a small 5W tube amp is still pretty loud. It was designed to make quiet sounds loud, after all.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  3. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Just FYI, I ordered a low-power tube set for my Pro Junior. It sounds good, but the power reduction at low/home volume is hard to notice. At gig volumes, I can definitely tell the difference.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.