Love my MIM Tele

comicjc

TDPRI Member
I admit it. I have been an American Fender snob for years and people talk a lot of smack about them, including me. I have 2 Tele's and 2 strat's, both American made. I have always shunned MIM and Squire. I have a Squire Jazz Bass, but only because I wanted a fretless bass, it's OK, nothing great. That changed a few weeks ago when I bought a MIM Tele from Guitar Center. Both my Tele's have rosewood fretboards and I wanted a maple neck. I grabbed a blue-flamed maple top Player Series Tele off the rack and saw that it was MIM so I didn't expect much. I started playing it without plugging in and I couldn't believe how amazing the action felt. Just as good as my American-made. I plugged in and loved how it sounded and played. A little brighter than my other two Tele's, but it had a twang that I loved. Grabbed a Road Runner case and bought it. $820 out the door. I had no intention of replacing the pickups because I liked how they sounded, but I was going to replace the control plate with one from Obsidian Wire, but the stock control plate had CTS pots and the soldiering was flawless, so I stuck with the stock electronics. This Mexican-made Tele is quickly becoming my favorite guitar.

Legba-1967

TDPRI Member
I have had many made in America Strats and one Tele. I have only had a Players series Strat and now my Player Plus series Nashville Tele and they are great. I no longer have the Strat but only because I traded it for my Nashville. I love the Nashville as it‘s one of the best guitars I’ve owned. The neck is great, the action is great and I love the cutout on the back. I can get loads of sounds with it as the pickups in are really nice. Congrats on the new Tele. Would love to see some pics.

RYAN1987M

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I now have a bit of a ‘United Nations’ of Telecasters – one MIM, one MIJ, and one MIA – and, to be honest, now that they’re all set-up to my preferences, I don’t notice any obvious difference in quality between them.

The exact specs, overall feel, and resulting sounds certainly differ – but I find them all to be really high-quality guitars that feel and play great.

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I love my MIM Tele... the only mod I made was to swap out the stock bridge with chopped Gotoh with brass saddles; I kept catching my pick on the edge of the stock plate:
20170507_223406_001.jpg

20170508_004710.jpg

20170507_234900.jpg

Congrats on finding a gem.

JP22

Tele-Meister
I admit it. I have been an American Fender snob for years and people talk a lot of smack about them, including me. I have 2 Tele's and 2 strat's, both American made. I have always shunned MIM and Squire. I have a Squire Jazz Bass, but only because I wanted a fretless bass, it's OK, nothing great. That changed a few weeks ago when I bought a MIM Tele from Guitar Center. Both my Tele's have rosewood fretboards and I wanted a maple neck. I grabbed a blue-flamed maple top Player Series Tele off the rack and saw that it was MIM so I didn't expect much. I started playing it without plugging in and I couldn't believe how amazing the action felt. Just as good as my American-made. I plugged in and loved how it sounded and played. A little brighter than my other two Tele's, but it had a twang that I loved. Grabbed a Road Runner case and bought it. $820 out the door. I had no intention of replacing the pickups because I liked how they sounded, but I was going to replace the control plate with one from Obsidian Wire, but the stock control plate had CTS pots and the soldiering was flawless, so I stuck with the stock electronics. This Mexican-made Tele is quickly becoming my favorite guitar.
👍 I’ve owned a US standard, a US special and a MiM Vintera.
The MIM is easily my favourite of the lot.

Spox

Tele-Meister
I own two MIM Teles, have never owned a US Tele. One is a Std which I bought new in 2004 and the other is a 90s Nashville which I bought used about seven years ago. I had both of them modded and have just had the Std partially unmodded, I kept the better pots and switch but had the Lollar pickups removed and the originals re installed. I am not plugging in often enough to justify the Lollars and because it was the guitar as a whole which made it so good from the start, the Lollars didn't make it a great guitar, it already was, they just made it a better great guitar.

I am taking the Nashville in today to have it modded, when I bought it it had a McKenzie string bender fitted, I had that removed and replaced with a Strymon trem system. I also had the pickups replaced, the bridge pickup with a low wind one built for me by The Creamery and the middle and neck pickups replaced with a set of low wind P90s built for me by Sanford Magnetics. It is another excellent Tele but a bit on the heavy side so I am having the Stetsbar removed and replaced with a standard Tele bridge. It will be interesting to see how it plays this way as I have never had a standard bridge setup on it.