Love my amp but I’m getting too lazy to use it

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
I think I’ll have to eat my words and say mea culpa for the disparaging remarks towards modeling. Oh, I still prefer my amp, as special edition 12’ speaker version of the PRRI. It’s has great tones and is a great pedal platform.
I love it so much that I haven’t played it in about two months. Instead I’ve been using my Iridium and the stock Logic amp plugins. I will likely buy a third party amp plugin when they are updated to run natively on Apple silicon M1 Macs.

It’s not that I think the Iridium or Logic plugins sound better or as good as my PRRI (they don’t) but it’s much easier to use the Iridium etc than to mic my amp. This is particularly true for recording. The simulated tones are good enough. To top it off, I don’t think I’ve gotten the best out of the Iridium or Logic yet because I’m still learning how to maximize the tones. I’m speaking of more of the tech side of it than the actual tones. For example, some times my lead tone sound thinner than I would like but when I tweak my settings I screw something else up. I don’t think this is the Iridium or the plugins fault but rather my limitations at diagnosing what is needs, e.g. EQ, ambience, etc.

I’ll still play the PRRI but I think it’s going to become less and less utilized. I’m not ready to ditch it although I may replace it with a TM Deluxe Reverb at some point. There's still something about playing through an amp, plus sometimes I get better results recording with mic'ing the darn thing.

These times they are a changin’
Don't ditch the amp! I also use a modeler more often than my tube amp. They both sound great but the modeler is so convenient. When I need some inspiration, I fire up the tube amp and I fall in love all over again. After a week or five, I go back to the modeler and am floored at how good it sounds. Rinse and repeat. Keep them both, they are great tools.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
Don't ditch the amp! I also use a modeler more often than my tube amp.
Oh I have no intentions of ditching the PRRI right now. I still enjoy it. As I mentioned, I could very well replace it with a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb just for the attenuation, direct out for recording, etc. Really, I can't imagine not having an amp.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I like modelers and the concept but, I hate the way modelers sound through PA speakers! Its harsh and tinny. The singer in our rehearsals goes direct out of his pedal board and he’s got it dialed in pretty nice but it still sounds direct. I checked out modelers and ended up with a good analog preamp that is designed to get a BF Fendery thing. I put it through two tiny powered guitar cabs. Live these become the wet side of my rig and I used a SF DRRI for the dry. Modelers do well direct into a DAW for a recording unless your are looking for a honest fuzz sound. But they have the modeling down really well now. There is a small step remaining to get bridge that leap to a PA remaining IMHO. What a perfect world that will be.

Chicago Slim

Tele-Afflicted
I kept my two favorite tube amps. My Vox TB18C1 (36 lbs.) has great Tweed sounds, with its 6V6 power tubes. My Bad Cat Cougar (37 lbs.) has great Vox sounds. But I mainly play my Boss NexTone Stage at home. It can cover both sounds pretty well and works as a backup for gigs.

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
Ive got enough songs to record an album but probably wont….im too lazy to sit at a computer for hours and hours recording and mixing…id rather flip my amp switch and play the songs,

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
If the model sounds good recorded, I'd suggest that the problem is in how the PA reproduces it.
Yup and its all of them in my experience. Its why I use the powered guitar cabs, and to be honest, I like having the volume and response of a loud amp on stage to lean into. Its like being naked having guitar only in monitors. I think thats in the Old Testament somewhere….

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
I hate the way modelers sound through PA speakers! Its harsh and tinny.

I tend to agree. Anything beyond clean, edge of breakup or light crunch gives that "digital artifact" tinny, ping or fizz effect. I'm using mine for recording only are playing through my studio monitors. The one good thing about the Iridium is that it doesn't try to do too much. It's just the amp sends and it takes pedals really well.
I had a Helix that I played through at power speaker and it didn't sound that great although it sound it better for recording purposes.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
I tend to agree. Anything beyond clean, edge of breakup or light crunch gives that "digital artifact" tinny, ping or fizz effect.

I ran into that early on. When Hotone added low and high cut to the Ampero's cabinet block, checking out some speaker frequency response charts and chopping them out at about 7 kHz made a huge difference. Turns out the speakers in guitar amps hide a multitude of sins.

You also get fizzy stuff if the input level or what's going between the effects is too low.

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
I think it comes down to purpose. What is the purpose of the recording? If the results enable you to play on a demo or home recording in an inspired manner then it is all good.

I think the best way is both a direct signal and a mic'd amp. I mic the amps in another room. You can always run the direct track through any plugin, sim, or modeller at any time.

If you don't feel like micing and amp you could do the same with a modeller that you print to a track and a direct track. Having options you can manipulate later when you mix is super helpful. Nothing is worse than a good performance with a sound that just doesn't work for the song.

I've wanted a Iridium for some time. I like the idea of being able to quickly get a usable sound without an amp. Up until now I've used a Tech 21 Trademark 60 for that purpose. It has a sansamp XLR out.

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
To me recording and playing are two different things….recording is a PIA….playing is fun….but thats just me.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
I have a music room. I guess I'm lucky in that respect. It's not a big one by any stretch of the imagination, but it's enough for me to have my amps and guitars set-up and ready to use. I can just turn on, plug in and play. I dont really do any home recording, save for some quick ideation in garageband on iOS, for which I just use the built in amp models.

I used to run an all digital rig in my last gigging band. I had a Line6 POD HD Pro rack unit, with floor control, and a wireless system, and then a rack-mounted classD amp in order to drive an external cab whenever we did any backline-only gigs. Worked well, but then it was a metal band, so i needed a "precision" high-gain rig without the complications of masses of feedback from such gain standing next to a 100w tube amp. I much prefer the experience with my valve amps though - aside from the tonal qualities, I love the way a running tube amp smells, and the heat from it etc. It adds to the visceral experience that you just dont get from digital in my opinion. YMMV ofc.

RockinforJesus

Tele-Meister
Ive got enough songs to record an album but probably wont….im too lazy to sit at a computer for hours and hours recording and mixing…id rather flip my amp switch and play the songs,
If you want a very good modeler that is all analog, and all you have to do is tweak knobs without the aid of a computer then look at the Simplifier Zero Watt pedal.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
So I moved into a bigger home this year, pulled everything out of storage, put every guitar on the wall (except the pieces parts guitars that are in bins) and used every amp in some fashion. All of my tube amps are decor and memories of days gone by. I have not plugged a single head or cab in to play. (exception being the Ironheart rackmount recording amp and the HK Tubemeister 18, also rackmount recording amp, both directly connected to my Zoom R20, not speakers) I am not worried about being too loud, or not having the space to set it up.... I just don't care to. I get the tones I want other ways. Lately it has been pedal boards built around the Vox Valve energy pedals. OMG, they are spectacular once you really learn to use them. I bought the set, and the Vox Cambridge 50 .... which is a weird kinda Valvetronics/Superchamp XD kinda thing. I see why it failed in the market, but damn it is light, and a little re-wiring out the output to create a true balanced line out and I am very happy with it as my grab and go "modeler du jour". When I get the time, and the garage cleaned out enough to work in, gonna turn it into a head like I did my Cube 80.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
I just skipped amps and modeling all together and hired a guy to play my parts on the record using his own guitar. I don't even change strings anymore. Droids are the future of backing musicians and most sidemen are bot-equivalents anyhow so the switch will be easy.

Patshep

TDPRI Member
I think I’ll have to eat my words and say mea culpa for the disparaging remarks towards modeling. Oh, I still prefer my amp, as special edition 12’ speaker version of the PRRI. It’s has great tones and is a great pedal platform.
I love it so much that I haven’t played it in about two months. Instead I’ve been using my Iridium and the stock Logic amp plugins. I will likely buy a third party amp plugin when they are updated to run natively on Apple silicon M1 Macs.

It’s not that I think the Iridium or Logic plugins sound better or as good as my PRRI (they don’t) but it’s much easier to use the Iridium etc than to mic my amp. This is particularly true for recording. The simulated tones are good enough. To top it off, I don’t think I’ve gotten the best out of the Iridium or Logic yet because I’m still learning how to maximize the tones. I’m speaking of more of the tech side of it than the actual tones. For example, some times my lead tone sound thinner than I would like but when I tweak my settings I screw something else up. I don’t think this is the Iridium or the plugins fault but rather my limitations at diagnosing what is needs, e.g. EQ, ambience, etc.

I’ll still play the PRRI but I think it’s going to become less and less utilized. I’m not ready to ditch it although I may replace it with a TM Deluxe Reverb at some point. There's still something about playing through an amp, plus sometimes I get better results recording with mic'ing the darn thing.

These times they are a changin’
Funny. I would rather piss of my neighbors. I just leave my Princeton micd and I’m about to sell the iridium because it takes too much fiddling with to get a good sound imo

mmannaxx

Tele-Meister
Still just use my amps. Live in a house so just have to be attentive to the missus’ concerns about volume. Have one amp with a headphone jack if need be. Don’t record, just occasionally gig with a band and play for pleasure, learning new styles ( to me) or practicing songs I like. Keeping it simple. Love the sound of my tube amps so guess I won’t be switching to any ,odeling stuff. Sounds too complicated for this old dog!