Love for the Short Scale Stingray?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Okieactor, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

Anybody have either the Sterling or Music Man version of the short scale stingray bass?

Reactions to it?

2. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I have a couple of the SBMM regular scale basses (a Neptune Blue 4-string and a KOA 5-string) and they're great to play but I find myself playing SS basses more often.

I had no idea they had SS models. Are they new? I've certainly never seen them before but I just went to MF's site and I really like the 4-string Daphne Blue one. Must resist . . .

A little OT but the first Music Man bass I bought was one of their S.U.B. models, back when they had the old crappy preamps. I hated that bass so much that I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It was too much of a PITA to return it so I just donated to a charity as a silent auction item. It was a win-win situation - I was able to immediately expunge that bass from my life and the charity made some money from it.

rangercaster and 68Telebass like this.
  3. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

They're both relatively new. The MusicMan short scale came out within the last year, the SBMM version within the last few months. I haven't seen either yet, but reviews of both are good.

If you're talking about the 2003-2006 US-made MusicMan SUBs, they had the same preamps as the more expensive US models. I still have my 2004 SUB Sterling.

The SBMM version had cheap preamps.

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  4. ZenGuitarist

I bought the S.U.B. in 2017 (made in Indonesia I think) and I'm pretty sure the preamps in those were different than what they used in the early 2000s. At the time I bought mine a lot of people complained about the preamp in that model and not too long afterwards they improved the preamp. The preamps in my SBMM's are much better and I prefer the 3-band EQ those models have over the more traditional 2-band EQ. Both of my SBMM's were made in Korea.

Dave W likes this.
  5. ZenGuitarist

I realized I should clarify a few things in the first post I made in this thread.

First, I referred to the S.U.B. model I had as a Music Man model when it was really a SBMM model. Also, I forgot to mention that the SBMM models I have are a Ray34 and Ray35 which I think have been discontinued. And embarrassingly, I totally forgot that I have another Ray35 which is tucked away in a case. I never did bond with that one so I plan to get around to selling it one day. I really need to thin out my collection.

OP, I'd suggest you head over to TalkBass and either start a thread or find an existing thread that talks about the bass you're interested in. You'll probably get a much better response there.

6. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I have not laid hands on a MM bass in 20+ years.

That said, I love short scale basses and a short Music Man seems like an incredibly cool bass.

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  7. ZenGuitarist

I love Stingrays.
    I love short scale basses.
    I love the sight of a Stingray with a short scale.
    I love Daphne Blue.
    I love the reasonable price.
    I love that they're in stock.
    I love that my cat bought me this bass.

68Telebass and drmordo like this.
  8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Have tried both. Almost bought both.

Typical Music Man quality on the American one. Hefty price tag. Beautiful metallic burgundy color. No custom orders (I wanted a black guard, 7 1/4" radius, and skinny frets, with a '70s muted bridge).

Sterling: Good for the money. Typical decent import quality bass. Looks better than the American one in all white with a maple board. Neck finish isn't that nice, and the neck doesn't feel as good as the American one. Needs refinement on frets and fretboard edges, and a good polish. Decal looks cheap.

In the end, I regret not getting the white Sterling. That color is now discontinued. The American one, I still might get some day...but I'm not in a rush. If the white Sterling ever comes back, I'm jumping immediately.

9. ZenGuitarist

I'm not 100% sure if this is the one you wish would come back but if it is, jump away. :D

EsquireOK likes this.
  10. EsquireOK

That's it! And I was wrong about the fretboard. It is rosewood. The other color had maple.

11. ZenGuitarist

And now my good deed for the day is done. :)

EsquireOK likes this.
  12. EsquireOK

Yes, it is, and I greatly appreciate the tip. I had kind of stopped looking for a while, giving them some time to settle in to the used market. Turns out, I was able to buy a brand new one, and for a decent price too. Got 22% off, making it cheaper than any of the used ones I have seen. Again, thank you for the tip off.

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

What flat wound strings do you use on these? Can you just use the ones made for a Hofner?

14. ZenGuitarist

It comes with Ernie Ball 2852 45-105 strings and I would imagine just about any short scale set would work. My JMJ Mustang needs longer strings because it has a through-body bridge.

When my Stingray arrives, it's going to be an interesting showdown between it and my JMJ Mustang which is my current favourite bass. I may very well end up with two favourite basses.

15. EsquireOK

It's a top loading bridge, so pretty much any flats you can think of in short, medium, or long scale. You don't need to use short scale strings just because it's a short scale bass.

Most flats are fine with string through, even when they say they aren't. The only issue could be that you might have to use medium scale or regular scale strings. Short scale strings on string-through basses sometimes don't quite have enough wound length to make it over the nut.

16. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

Maybe, maybe not. The Hofner specialty set from LaBella has a short tail (past the winding) for the Hofner 2 + 2 headstock, I'm not sure if it would be long enough to reach the D tuning post.

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  17. ZenGuitarist

I hadn't thought of that. I have a Hofner Ignition Club Bass with the 2+2 headstock but I haven't changed the strings on it since I bought it. I'll keep the LaBella set in mind when I do.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I have a Hofner Club Bass, basically the same as a Viola style, and my understanding was that with many string sets, even short scale, the windings at the ball end were too long to stop short of the bridge. The tuner end was not a problem. I use the LaBella "Hofner" Flat Wounds on mine, and I'll probably never have to replace them.
    BTW, I have a piece of foam under the strings for that "thumpy" sound.....so it probably wouldn't make any difference what strings I used. ;)

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  19. EsquireOK

Those Hofners are such unique cases that there are strings made specifically for them, by several brands.

Same with through-body Mustang Bass strings, though by fewer brands.

That said, the Hofner strings can work well on other basses too. It's going the other way that can be problematic sometimes.

I have LaBella "Beatle Bass" light gauge round wounds on my string-through Mustang Bass. They're nearly the perfect length medium scale strings for a through-body Mustang; in fact, the tuner end silks look better than medium scale strings or LaBella's Mustang Bass strings. I chose them not because they're Beatle Bass strings, but because they have thicker high strings than usual compared to the low strings, and because they have a really unique tone and feel for a set of roundwounds. LaBella warns that they are not supposed to be run string through body, just as they warn on their flats. But there is no problem with either of these strings going through body, IME.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    ZenGuitarist and nojazzhere like this.
  20. ZenGuitarist

At least with my JMJ Mustang bass I can read the posts written by JMJ himself over at TB about his string preferences. That saves me a lot of trial and error.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.