1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Love for telecasters vs age

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bancika, Mar 4, 2015.

1. bancika

bancika TDPRI Member

Telecaster used to be my least favorite of the classic guitars...but as I turned 30, it started being increasingly appealing. I started appreciating the spartan simplicity of the design and "honesty" of the tone. What used to look like a plank of wood now looks like a classy plan of wood. I hated thicker, narrower necks, compared to shred-style necks I had on Ibanez. Now I like the feel of neck filling the hand.

Anyone else had similar experience? Any younger telecaster fans? Is it true that tele is a grown man's guitar :)

2. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I didn't appreciate a Tele as much until I turned 50. I'm still working on the growing up thing.

Luis Mendo likes this.
  3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

My first guitar at 15/16 was a tele. I still use teles.

4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Got my first tele at 44

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I have felt the same way. It wasn't until I had most of the other classic electric guitar designs that I finally "got" what the tele was all about. Why? I don't know, but I have attributed it to maturity of guitar appreciation. The value of the tele seems so obvious to me now.

But I am a slow learner and refuse to ever grow up.

6. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

The first nice guitar I bonded with was a 98 deluxe tele my uncle let me play on when I was 14 or 15.

Since then I have become smitten with fatter necks, single coils, 3 saddle bridges and other "pickier" details...but telecasters had me at "thwraaaaannnnnng!"

I have tried to love other guitars but I can never bond with them so I just sell them and look for cooler teles it seems like.....I even played around with some nice sounding humbucker stuff and I just missed my 4 way series sound (the kinda neck bucker sound I like to work with) and Bridge pickup dimed with the tone rolled off a hair (my favorite bridge humbucker sound ;) sounds the whole dang time.

I can do what I need and more with teles and they feel right to my almost 30 year old hands and ears.

7. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I got my first Tele when I was 21 years old. I liked it, but traded it for a Strat. Why, because Texas needed another young punk playing crappy versions of SRV licks.:oops:

I got my second Tele in my early thirties, now I have 4.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

If you refer back to the polls that were done on the ages of TDPRI members you find that 75% of those who responded were 40 years of age or older so I think that provides some insight about who plays Teles.

I'm sure there are some younger fans of these guitars as well since a few of the younger high profile guys like John 5 also play a Tele but for the most part based simply on the age of posters here I'd say many guys come to the Tele a little later in life.

9. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I haven't grown up, but I've wised up. Hence my later-years adoption of the Telecaster.

10. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I was playing Teles back in my 20s.

11. TelekineticBoss

TelekineticBoss Tele-Holic

My first electric at 16 was a tele. Still one of my favorite guitars. Only surpassed by my newly acquired '65 Magnatone Zephyr.

12. 5ive1ne4our

5ive1ne4our TDPRI Member

Owned a tele since I was 21. Switched between MIMs and ended up with an MIA. I'm 24 now and will always have a tele in my repetoir. I've heard it from others a million times, but I'm starting to see myself how versatile the damn thing is.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Man-o-pause can still hit you and make you buy a pointy guitar.

darkwaters likes this.
  14. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

I used to think a Strat could do the same things as a Tele, plus a Strat had an extra pickup, a whammy and a contoured body. And so many players used a Strat, so I used a Strat as well. But my changing music taste made me try a Tele in my late twenties. It was not a very fashionable guitar then. Now it is, although recently I am seeing Strats making a comeback again in the live music scene overhere. But I am sticking to my Tele now.

15. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

As one of the tools in my tool box ...it definitely does some stuff better than others.

16. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I got my first Telecaster when I was 15.

I first heard James Burton when I was 3 on the Ozzie and Harriet Reruns on the Disney Channel.

But I'm also an old soul. I grew up during the 90s grunge years and remember pointy headstocks of the late 80s. I thought those guitars were goofy.

17. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Tele player since age 22 (now mid-40s)... I kinda went the opposite way because when I was younger I was "Teles, yes; Strats, NO!". More recently, I've learned to appreciate the Strat on its own terms as well. I'd consider myself lacking an important tool to be without either.

18. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I didn't get into Tele's until I was almost 60. What I need now is a Tele with like an Ovation round back, but with the bowl turned inside out.

19. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

First Tele at almost 50.

20. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

built my first partscaster tele at age 36. Have more teles in my collection than anything now!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.