Love and hate with the Soul Food, how do you use it?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by LeftyBlues, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I’m using a ZOOM mfx and SS amp now, but when I has running into a tube amp I used the SF to goose the tube amp from a shout to a roar. I didn’t use it with a clean amp...

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Never tried a SF but I got into the circuit around six months ago and now have two by JRAD, one cheap Chinese and one US made by a small builder.
    I like either clean boost or mid gain, not for harder Rock dirt and I don't play Blues but it's possibly my favorite in between sound, more thick and sustaining than my clean sound but not all the way to snarling grind.
    Kind of a clean dirt sound, probably great for Blues.
    I'd use a range of the sounds doing call & response with a soul vocalist or something like that.
    Would be fine for that kind of riffs & fills in Rock too.
    Always single bridge pickup guitars, FWIW.

DougM likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

In addition to eq, the low end of the gain knob is just the clean boost circuit with no clipping diodes, while turning up the gain knob brings in the clipping diodes. Could be the clipping adds low mids.

Lots of dirt pedals do change the eq via the gain knob.
    Muffs and the OD250 family for example.

4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried a lot of inexpensive Klones, and the SF was the worst one of them all. I hated it, and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. The Caline Medusa and Pegasus, the Tone City Bad Horse, the Joyo Tauren, the Tone Bakery Creme Brulee, the Movall Minotaur/Azor AP20, and even the lowly Mosky Gold and Silver Horse are way better than the SF. I forgot about the two different no-name Centaurs made in China, as mentioned by @telemnemonics. I like both of them too, and I use all my Klones as a low gain dirt box into a clean modeling amp on a Tweed or BF amp model, with the gain high and the output a little above unity, and as he said, it makes a very good light overdrive bluesy sound, simulating a cranked BF Fender at low volume levels

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    richey88 and telemnemonics like this.
  5. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

It's a great little unit, yes. Heavier than it looks, strangely enough. On an unrelated note: Love the Tele in your sig pic! :)

ClashCityTele likes this.
  6. LeftyBlues

LeftyBlues TDPRI Member

Update: played with it again last night.

Again, sounds good for rhythm playing, but It really kills dynamics for lead.

Also, i do use it to boost pedals but again, it gives a nice volume boost for my lead but takes away some of the dynamics of my sd-1/tube screamer that my homemade boost doesn't. Maybe I need to run the sf after them?

Most Interestingly, playing with my player strat (alnico V), it is notably less loud and less clean then with my squier tele (ceramic pu). I know ceramics have more output but it is VERY noticeable change when A/B'ing them. Will try more of the tips mentioned tonight.

7. DougM

I don't stack drive pedals, but that's one of the things I hated about the SF. It had very poor dynamics, much less than any other Klone that I've used, and I didn't really care for its tone either. It just doesn't really sound or feel like a Klon style circuit to me

8. DougM

Here's my favorite Caline Medusa compared to a few other well known (and more expensive) klones. BTW, I don't know where he paid $66 for it, but he got ripped off. You can get it on Ebay for $40

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    LeftyBlues likes this.
  9. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I got the SF and then a Tumnus. SF has some decent tones in it but its finicky pulling them out, seems I was always fiddling with it. Tumnus seems easier to dial in and more set and forget/consistent day to day. Ive tried both of em about every way you can, high gain, mid gain, low gain, by itself, stacked with other ODs, as a boost, and have pretty much decided I'm just not a Kloney kinda guy. That upper mid Kerraang is cool, but my ears tends to tire of it after a while.
    Right now Im digging my Boss BD-2(@low gain)>Nobles ODR-1(@higher gain) combo.

10. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

The Klon/clone circuit is designed around a fairly specific use case--and that is to get 'more' of your amp's tone and response from your amp. What this means is you have to already be in love with the tone and response of the amp you play through.

If you're thinking a Soul Food will make your "meh" amp sound better, you are mistaken. Also, if you are a set-and-forget type of player that leaves the guitar's tone and volume controls on 10, you will probably think the klone you got was a waste of money.

Here's how to use the pedal: Depending on your guitar, set the guitar's volume control to somewhere around 5 to 7. Now adjust the amp's volume to gig level. You want loud, and you want the amp to just begin to start breaking up when you really dig into the strings or bang out a chord. If you play softly, the notes and chords should be relatively clean and sparkly.

When you roll up on the guitar's volume, the amp should really start to sing (plenty of hair around single notes). Roll the guitar vol back to 5-7. Turn on the klone and adjust the gain and level so the amp is singing the same way and same volume as it did when the guitar vol was on 10.

That's pretty much the trick. You now can

1. Play cleanly with the guitar vol rolled back about half way
    2. Get plenty of amp growl by rolling up the vol or stepping on the Klone
    3. Get 'more' of your amp with the guitar vol on 10 and the Klone switched on

Most people that dislike klones view them as an "effect pedal." It's not an effect. It's a 'more amp' device.

11. jwag

jwag Tele-Meister

I didn’t read through the thread, but have a little experience with that pedal. I used it as a boost pedal for both a clean amp, or another Overdrive pedal…mainly when playing a solo. It did a decent job for that. At the time I was running a Boss SD-1, or a Boss OD-2 for my overdriven tones, and would boost that signal with the Soul Food. I don’t play metal, but for everything else it was ok.

I sold that pedal several years back, but I’d buy another if I could get a great deal on it.

12. Kungpow!

Kungpow! Tele-Meister

I bought it because of the Klon hype.

Thought it sounded horrible as a primary od/amp in a box.

I use it to boost the front of a Orange or15. Gain low, level to just above unity, and tone to taste. It's on my board now, next to a Tubescreamer mini, which I probably prefer for leads. Actually both on sound pretty good, but I generally dont stack.

Overall, it's ok. If it got stolen... I wouldn't but it again ;)

13. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

I likes the cornbread

14. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

Everybody loves cornbread! ;)

15. Tom-Australia

Tom-Australia Tele-Meister

Yep, have the pedal and.... Just don't enjoy it. It's fiddly and I just can't seem to get it to a functional place easily.

It does sound much better when the tubes are hot though.

16. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I have a SF, haven't used in years. Mosky GH and the bigger one, I forget what brand, new computer, haven't uploaded pix...anyway, I like those better than the 'food, YMMV.

17. DougM

IMO, the Bad Horse is WAY better than the SF. It's one of my favorite Klon type pedlas I've tried at any price. Don't bother with a SF, IMO.

18. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I bought a SF right after they came out, tried to use it for awhile. It just stopped working one day, never dropped it or abused it, kaput. OK, cheap EHX stuff. Tried a J Rockett Archer whatever and 1 or 2 other $$ Klon things, didn't like them either. Done with that myth.

19. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

I like the Klon/klone circuit, but could never get the SF to sound good. Ended up returning it and getting a Tumnus Deluxe, which is a lot better IMHO.

20. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Saw/heard a demo next to a vintage centaur... Couldn't tell the difference at all. Andertons did it.

I want one but using the blues driver for now. Does the job.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.