1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Louis Electric HD12

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Serenity23, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Couldn't find any threads about this amp on this forum. Anyone out there tried/owned one, care to share what you like/dislike about it? Harvard mixed with 5e3 sounds very cool.
    I'm interested in a few LE amps, but the Buster and KR12 are probably more amp than i realistically need.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  2. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I think Richard Goodsell is going to be producing some tweed hybrids as well. good stuff

3. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I've been interested in these for a few years. Haven't seen one for real, yet.

4. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Hey Larry . You talking about the Goodsell or the Louis? Don't want to derail but I recently bought a Champton from Richard and if his other tweed amps resemble my smaller Goodsell you won't be disappointed. While only 8 watts this little beast will knock the paint off the walls and it also has a tone knob.

5. jaz761

jaz761 TDPRI Member

I have been lucky enough to try the Columbia, the Trembleux, and the Tornado...which is an EL amp. I have always pretty much owned Fender amps (73 Princeton Reverb, 76 Super Reverb and a 1992 Blues Deluxe) and was never sure how a 'boutique' interpretation of a classic could be better than the original....now I understand!

The Columbia is a much stouter iteration of the Princeton. My old Princeton can be flubby...it's the nature of the beast....not so the Columbia. When you lean on it, it supports the tone. More responsive than my PR and somehow more 'vocal.' I loved it. The Tremblelux is its own thing. I have never tried the original Fender classic so will dispense with comparisons.

The Tornado is, hopefully, going to be my next amp some day. Louis bills it as a 5E3 Deluxe with British flavor. Minimal controls that cover all the bases...especially with my tele. I believe that Louis' way of hybridizing or combining classic amp designs is spot-on. No one amp can be all things to all people...but he's bringing together the best elements to create a new cool thing.

The HD12 is billed as a hybrid of a Harvard and a Deluxe...I'd have faith that this would be killer amp.

Serenity23 likes this.
  6. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

I like the videos i've seen of the Tornado, but as with the Buster and KR12, it's probably more amp than i really need. If i had the cash and space i think i'd get them all. They all sound excellent, and it's hard to find any negative comments on LE amps.

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I know that a lot of guys in Deadhead bands are using the Twin Reverb type amp they make. Jorma Kaukonen uses one of their amps as does Taylor in Dawes. I haven't played any of their amps myself, but have heard little or no negative reviews.

Serenity23 likes this.
  8. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

No one out there tried these?
    I know they are pricey, but i thought there might be one or two of you that owned, or at least tried one.
    Hopefully i'll get some time next month to head out and try one for myself. Really want to see how the HD12 stacks up against the new Swart Antares.

9. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have an HD12. Louis Electric doesn't supply any real technical information about his amps. Here's my take. The HD12 is fixed bias, like the tweed Harvard. The bias is adjustable via a small trim pot. It's B+ voltages are higher than both the 5E3 Deluxe and 5F10 Harvard, which is how you achieve more clean headroom. The amp is supposed to be able to accept 6L6's for more wattage and clean headroom: 18 watts with 6V6's and 28 watts with 6L6's. The transformers are stout and much larger than both the original tweed amps. It's advertised as coming with a pair of 6V6's and a GZ34 rectifier.

Here's where the lack of information becomes critical. Using 6V6's with a GZ34 puts the plate voltages in the 440v + range. Kind of on the high side for 6V6's. Using a 5Y3 or 5R4, with 6V6's, brings the plate voltage down to a reasonable 410v-420v. If you're using 6L6's then the GZ34 rectifier would work well and puts the plate voltage in the 435v range.

The pre-amp tubes he uses are one 12ax7 for the normal channel; or "Deluxe" channel, one 6AT6 for the bright or "Harvard" channel and one 12ax7 for the driver/phase inverter. I use a 12ay7 in the normal channel to achieve a more tweed Deluxe tone. When using the 12ax7 there, the two channels sound similar. Now the amp sounds like two different amps in one.

The HD12 isn't really a "clone" of either amp, it just takes the "DNA" of each and beefs it up into a usable, small to medium club amp.

Hope that helps!

10. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the feeback. I didn't know that the HD12 could run 6L6's. Not sure i'd really need the extra wattage and headrooom though, so would probably stick with the 6V6's. If i pick one up i'll definitely try your preamp and rectifier tube recommendations.
    Swart Antares is also on my list to try, so i'll be interested to see how the two compare.

11. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

@slider313 do you still have your HD12 and if so are you still enjoying it?

I’ve just put a deposit down for Lou to build one for me so in the meantime i’m interested to hear from anyone who is using one of these amps.

12. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Brad, I no longer have the HD12. It's a great amp when set up right. A good friend has the same amp and feels the 25 watt Weber 12A150A is the perfect speaker for this amp.

I purchased mine used with a Celestion G12H-30, which I never cared for.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    hotrodkid and High Head Brad like this.
  13. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

Thanks. The website indicates that the amp comes with a 12" Alnico Weber speaker but doesnt specify which model. I will follow up with Louis to see if the 12A150A can be installed in mine based on your mates recommendation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.