1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Loudest show you've attended

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Feb 17, 2015.

1. PC_Hater

PC_Hater Tele-Meister

1972. A UK band called Hard Stuff opening for Captain Beefheart. It was LOUD!!
    I remember covering my girlfriends ears it was so loud, my ears hurt.

2. Jackson Jackson

Jackson Jackson Friend of Leo's

Badlands in 1992 at a club in Oakland, CA. I stood right in front of Jake E. Lee and his full stack the whole night. It was LOUD and glorious!!!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

Neil Young Ragged Glory tour 1991. The Buffalo Memorial Auditorium (RIP) was shaking.

4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Another vote for Rory Gallagher, some club outside of Portland in 1980 to so, ten or twelve 2x12 Marshall combos, all of them cranked. Dear God it was loud.

5. MGibson

MGibson Tele-Meister

Dinosaur Jr. Small club in Athens in the early 90s. I pulled filters off of cigarettes and stuffed them in my ears, still painfully loud and I had to leave.

I have seen Mountain, AC/DC, lots of really loud bands, never needed ear plugs, and this was the only time my ears physically hurt from the volume. I like the band but the volume was literally stupid loud.

6. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

Judas Priest at the Allentown Ag Hall in 1979 or '80.

7. wildkat-bob

wildkat-bob Tele-Afflicted

It's a toss up between Rob Zombie and Slayer, at the Metropolis in Montreal, which is a medium-small venue, both shows where so loud that the crowd was moving on their own just from the vibrations. I had no choice to stick around, I was on show call duty for both shows.

8. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

I went to see Lauryn Hill a couple of years ago at a small club in Tampa. The sound was so bad that I had to leave a few songs in. I don't know if it was me or the sound man that was deaf. All I could hear was distorted booming bass with some white noise on top no matter where I moved to. But that was only one of several shows I've been to where it was like driving in your car with your stock stereo dimed. Horrible, harsh clipping and painful sound.

I played an outdoor private party yesterday. There was a thunderstorm, water was getting all over the gear. We pushed it further under the crowded tent and I ended up standing right in front of a 12" PA speaker on a pole about 3 feet from my head for two loud sets. I haven't had ringing this bad in my ears for several years and my hearing still sounds muffled today. I left feeling regretful I didn't make a trip to the car for plugs. Today I'm concerned as to the long term effects.

Sometimes I wonder what the Gen X and later are going to be able to hear when we are elder.

9. grandstick

grandstick Tele-Holic

I saw The Masters of Reality play in a club in Syracuse back in the mid-80s. Yes, I think "sickeningly loud" pretty much covers it.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I must be very lucky.
    No matter what da Nuge plays or says, I can't hear a thing.
    Uh, "Wango Tango", Teddy.

11. Dave1234

Dave1234 Tele-Afflicted

Girlschool and Tank at the Marquee (London) early '80's. The place was heaving and we were about 2" from the right hand stack. Had to move to the bar area....

12. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

Wolfmother, 2005 at metropolis Fremantle. Me and a mate were front row, and the support band - the mess hall (guitar and drum duo) had a fender twin cranked, and pointed right in our faces...I was deaf before wolfmother even hit the stage, then when they did, it was 2 full marshall stacks, right in our faces. Couldn't hear properly for a week after that gig. Come to think, permanent damage was more than likely done that night.

13. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Ministry at the Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa OK was the loudest show I've been to. It was stupidly loud- and painful.

14. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

David Bowie - Serious Moonlight Tour approx. 1981/2

The guitar was seriously frightening....

Eddie.

15. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

wait for the 1m42s mark

16. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Yes this is the one I posted earlier in the thread. I've been going to shows since 69' and never would have thought one of if not the loudest shows I would see would be in 2012.My head was turning side to side as if looking for an exit if the building started to come down.

17. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

Deep Purple - 1999 at Richfield Coliseum (I think) in Ohio, had to walk out with my fingers in my ears

Ozric Tentacles - early 2000's in Coventry Village, Cleveland Heights Ohio. The bass and sub-bass was so loud and pulsating that many of us had to leave from being dizzy and sick to our stomachs.

18. jhergert

jhergert Tele-Meister

The Marshall Tucker Band in the early 70's. I was in the 4th row and had to put cigarette filters in my ears. It felt like my ears were bleeding.

19. Flipped Mustang

Flipped Mustang Tele-Holic

The Jam in the mid 80's at the Warfield in SF. I had bad seats up and in the back and there was some seriously heinous volume and compression building up on the back walls. Couldn't even make out what the songs were. Felt like my head was going to implode.

20. Alonious_Monk

Alonious_Monk Tele-Meister

Ministry blew my ears out within half a song, the rest of the show was a muffled mess to my ears.

Oh, and if anyone has ever seen Atari Teenage Riot...they'd know about loud shows lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.