Loudest live guitar you have experienced?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Scimmy, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Meister

Motorhead for me, too. Saw them at First Avenue with Nashville *****. Ears rang for four solid days. Loudest show I ever heard!!!

*Nashville ummm, Cat?

Kreepy likes this.
  2. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

San Bernardino Swing Auditorium 1976?

3. John How

John How Tele-Meister

Hank Williams III doing his death metal thing after his country thin was done during the second half of his show...listening to his country thing was fun but we had to bail after he started the thrash stuff...incredibly loud in Santa Cruz, Ca bout 6 or 7 years ago...took me about a week to recover and I probably didn’t get all my hearing back, though to be fair, I’ve caused a lot of my own hearing loss by playing too loud...That’s why I use low powered amps these days...

4. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Doobie Brothers Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino, October 1976.
    First two Intro repeats of China Grove were perfect then they turned it up so loud on the third I literally had to close my ears for the entire remainder of the concert.
    In the parking lot after the concert we got caught in a crossfire between rival motorcycle gangs. Then, surviving that, since I was least smashed of the six of us my friend made me drive us all home in his 1964 slant 6 Dodge Dart with a 3 on the column...
    Lots of things about that night...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  5. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

>>>Front row, small club, head at amp height for a Bob Mould show.
    I actually had to see a doctor a week later for persistent problems with my hearing.
    >>>Also Bob Mould for me. He didn't sell out the bigger room at ABC in Glasgow is my guess so played the smaller but forgot to tell the sound guy.

I'm not surprised to hear that. A guy I used to know did sound for a Husker Du show once years ago, and said Bob Mould was an a-hole who told him "We need to be twice as loud as the other bands."

6. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Once. It wasn’t pretty.

7. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Dick Dale is also one of the loudest I've ever heard. I saw him play outdoors, and even from a distance it was ridiculously loud. I think he was playing through three Dual Showmans with two 15s in each cabinet.

The Ramones were also super loud.

Digital Larry likes this.
  8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I can't decide which is worse - this, or that song on VHIII that Eddie sang. Probably this, because we can both see and hear it.

9. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I saw Dick Dale earlier this year and I always take earplugs to clubs anymore, so it was tolerable. Around 1981 I saw Frank Zappa at the Berkeley Community Theatre and had 13th row tickets. But we got there and they were duplicates so the usher put me in the front row all the way on the left in front of the giant PA stack (and Steve Vai, though nobody knew who he was at that time). I stuck my finger in my left ear which was facing the stack. When the show was over I couldn't hear out of my right ear.

10. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I saw a few in the late 70's , early 80's, but Motley Crüe about 3 years back here in NZ was RIDICULOUSLY loud at an indoor auditorium. Just a wall of noise and songs were hardly discernible.

But stupidest thing I did was climb one of the PA towers at Queen concert in '86 and got the full blast during Brian Mays Brighton Rock solo. Ears were ringing for days!! :D

11. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel TDPRI Member

Good ol Berdoo!

bcorig likes this.
  12. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Mogwai every time I've seen them . . . the band themselves recommend earplugs.

Second place goes to Slayer.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  13. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

6l6-57 likes this.
  14. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

Hanoi Rock at the Hacienda in I think 1980 - there was barely anyone in the concrete walled club to break up the sound.

Joe B a few years ago in Brighton - sounded great so I took out my ear plug - regret that decision to this day.

I used to rehearse with guy who played an old park through a solid state fender crazy loud - and the worlds worst collection of crackly leads - I was playing a GT5 through a Mackie SRM450 at the time so I just turned it to max and pointed it at his head - every time he moved to get out of the beam I swung it to aim at his head again. He turn down eventually :)

15. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Pete Friesen - The Almighty circa 1993 at (I think) the London Astoria. Absolutely ridiculous, ear splitting, treble heavy, dross. Kerbdog and particularly The Wildhearts in support were faaaaar superior.

16. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Cream, Marshall stacks, 4th row, New Haven Coliseum (a dump of an arena; hockey rink acoustics). So loud you couldn't really tell what they were playing.

marc2211 likes this.
  17. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Sting concert. Don't laugh. The bass was so loud I almost vomited.

Next would be Korn, Primus and Van Halen.

marc2211 likes this.
  18. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

That banjo solo though... solid.

19. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I saw Motorhead a few times in the 80s and 90s but I think the loudest was in my home city of Manchester in 82 or 83. I was playing drums in a band at the time and was used to loud - but this was off the scale. I thought I was going to have to learn how to lip-read for a day or two after that gig.

20. trackerdan

trackerdan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Ted Nugent's - Gibson Byrldland through 6 Fender 2X15 stacks and I don't know how many fender heads at the Sacramento Memorial auditorium about 1975.

stratoman1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.