Loudest live guitar you have experienced?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Scimmy, Jan 2, 2019.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Talas, front row, 1984, ears rang for days

cool show, though

2. Ebling

Ebling TDPRI Member

Black Flag 1986. Stood in front of Greg Ginn and his amp for the entire show. Multiple days of ringing ears. Loved the show though.

hollowman likes this.
  3. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Can't remember the loudest guitar, but can't forget the loudest live gig.

A couple of years back went with a friend to see Clinton with his P-Funk buddies. Forgot my earplugs. Thought "Ah well, been there done that, they're loud but I can survive".

Didn't even occur to me that this time they'd bring a half-deaf sound guy who apparently is used to stadiums and large outdoor venues. And as clubs go, Paradiso isn't even a very big one. Was standing in front of the mixing booth. When the band started all I could hear was an absolutely massive wall of sound. Only after covering my ears it resolved into music. I figured that this day and age the club must have earplugs for sale - not really, but they did have these yellow general ones. Those didn't help much.

I could stand it for about 20 minutes. As a memento of the event I now have a permanent tinnitus in my left ear. Thanks George!

I'm firmly in the "you gotta FEEL the BASS" crew. But too much is too much. And I wonder about the logic... I need to cover my ears to enjoy your music????

GuitarKid likes this.
  4. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

Guns N’ Roses Wembley Stadium in 1992. I was deaf for about 4 days after. They got fined as they breached all noise restrictions for the Stadium.

Looking at the set list now, Brian May also guest starred by can’t really remember this.

It was just a pure wall of noise - unbelievable. To be THAT loud in an 80000 seat stadium was just pure madness, although the whole gig was a text book lesson in insanity.

5. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

Humble Pie at the 2nd Annual British Rock Meeting, Isle of Germersheim, Germany, 1972. The band was so loud you could still hear them from the mainland. Second loudest: Eric Clapton at the Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland, 1983.

ETA: I think I'd place Clapton third. Three years ago I saw Iron Butterfly at a local venue, and the opening act was so loud -- and I was sitting at a table next to the stage -- that I literally found myself wincing, and eager for them to stop.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mahavishnu Orchestra in the 70s, once in a state fair grounds arena, and once in an old theater. This was when McLaughlin had a first-class band doing overplayed but worthy jazz-fusion-prog-rock. His use of extreme volume utterly destroyed the musical experience. A thunderous, painful, muddy blast, both times.

Ben-Zion and GuitarKid like this.
  7. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Grand Funk Railroad about 1973 we were in about the 10th row.

8. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Black Sabbath in Coventry (with Van Halen as support) in the late 70s. I'm not sure if Thin Lizzie were louder as I think Geezer Butler was responsible for my hearing loss about that time. I was right in front of his stack and could feel my chest moving!!

9. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Black Label Society. Mayish 2018 in a venue in Akron Ohio. Soul crushing wall of sound. And I like it loud. But this was just painfully loud.

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

Lucifer.... Randy Holden (sp?). ex-Blue Cheer. sponsored by Sunn. my band opened for them in 1970. smaller venue, so I don't think he used all 16 of his 200 watt amps. it was still pretty loud outside the building.

11. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I see Big Sugar has been mentioned. But they’re probably only number two.

First place goes to the Georgia Satellites.

Rocket from the Crypt were insanely loud when I saw them a couple years back.

Cheers,
    Geoff

6l6-57 likes this.
  12. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Pantera in Philly Spectrum 90's..sound moved you, the pressure ..you could feel it

Krokus in Harrisburg PA Forum 1981..painfully loud..way overkill for that lil building

13. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Neil Young a few years ago. He did that feedback, crashing noise thing for 20 minutes. It was unbearable and we left.

14. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Saw Queensrhyce at a small club in Houston about 3 yrs ago. I was closer to the front and I couldn't stand it... Really no need for it either so I left.

15. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

Randy Rhodes with Ozzy in KC on his first comeback tour. I was on the floor, 15'ish rows back, right in front of the speakers on the left side of the stage. At one point either the sound or my brain started cutting out and I thought I was having a flashback. Only for a few seconds, but wow .... :confused:

16. Beaubs

Beaubs TDPRI Member

UFO at the Civic Center Theater in St. Paul MN 1979???. My ears were bleeding...

17. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

SRV in Pittsburgh, must have been 1980 or thereabouts. Third row. Ears were ringing for days. Funny thing is, there was a guy sitting right in front of me, passed out cold through the entire show. I wish I could sleep that soundly!

Straydogger likes this.
  18. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Probably Hawkwind at Sheffield University Students Union in 1972.

19. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Columbus, OH band Greenhorn in about 1992, playing at Stache's, a legendary local music venue, long since closed. Stache's was not a large club but did capture a lot of national acts back in the day. Greenhorn had several full Marshall stacks crammed on the tiny stage that night and apparently had them all on "10".

20. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

Sugarloaf at SCA in Conway Arkansas in the 70s- no ear plugs
    ACDC at Barton Arena in Little Rock early 80s-I took out my ear plugs for 3 seconds
    Cheap Trick, Barton Arena in Little rock early 80s- ears rang till the next day

There is no frigging reason one should subject themselves to that kind of sheet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.