Loudest live guitar you have experienced?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Scimmy, Jan 2, 2019.

1. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Not guitar. Sound man! Triumph hurt me bad at Wings stadium.

Boomhauer likes this.
  2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw him with his Little Big Band, at the Centre for the Performing Arts in Vancouver, and he was painfully loud. Years later, I saw him at a private gig in Whistler, with his regular band, and the volume was much better. I wonder how much control he has over the volume.

The loudest I ever experienced, though, was Nazareth in the late '70s at the Civic Arena in Nanaimo, BC. Even as a teenager, I knew it was damaging my hearing.

6l6-57 likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

my wife still claims to have hearing loss damage from seeing Ted Nugent in the mid-seventies before we met
    Ted Nugent and Nazareth concert

6l6-57, Boomhauer and Nickadermis like this.
  4. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Meister

+1 for Mr. Big Sugar, Gordie Johnson

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Bass. Lemmy, Iron Fist tour, Leeds Queens Hall. Responsible for my tinnitus.
    Guitar. Paul 'Tonka' Chapman, UFO, No Place To Run Tour, Sheffield City Hall. All I heard was static as my hearing shut down

6. mally

mally Tele-Holic

Uriah Heep Liverpool Stadium!

7. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

Yes, at the Hollywood Sportatorium near Miami in the early seventies. This new band called the Eagles opened for them, and they were great. Even called some relative up for a couple of bluegrassy tunes. Then Yes came on, after apparently doing coke the whole time the Eagles were playing, and did their whole show too fast, and WAY too loud. In those days, we saw every show at that venue, and nobody else even came close to that volume level. We all had headaches and ringing ears for days. I believe that was the start of my tinnitus.

GuitarKid and Fearnot like this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Johnny Winter, June 5, 1975 Austin, Texas, City Coliseum.
    3 100 Marshall stacks, Tommy Shannon, 2 Marshall Major stacks, Uncle John Turner beating the drums senseless.
    It was my 18th Birthday.
    43 years later, my ears are still ringing.
    Gordy and Big Sugar are the lousest thing I have heard, as an adult.
    SVT’s - DIMED!
    Sheeesh!

P.S. I saw/heard Big Sugar in Vanier Hall, Pr. George, BC., circa 1999.
    It was/is a nice high school auditorium.
    I was seated in the back, and because of the design of the room, and the volume of the band, it became a “bass trap”.
    It gave me an anxiety attack!
    Weird!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  9. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Afflicted

The kick drum at a Nickelback show in Montreal. And the lyrics hurt my eyes to this day.
    Worst sound: AC/DC at the "Big-O" stadium in Montreal. Slapback echo from all kinds of directions...it sounded like the whole show was run through a chorus pedal. It's the venue's fault, not the band's.

10. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

I'll put in another vote for Gordie Johnson and Big Sugar

blackguts and brookdalebill like this.
  11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I just saw Bob in Oct at an outdoor show & it was loud w him & that strat. The story goes he was so loud on Letterman that you could see dust raining down from scaffolding in the theater. As I recall he played a LP with Sugar.

LeicaBoss likes this.
  12. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, sometime in the mid '70's at the Miami Jai-Alai Fronton. They were so loud, the sound had dissolved into an indiscernible wall of white noise. In one sense it was kind of amazing, but I couldn't actually hear any of the songs or the playing... my ears rang for days and I swore never to inflict that on myself again.

I like it loud, but that's just stupid.

GuitarKid likes this.
  13. craigh9

craigh9 Tele-Meister

Either Frank Zappa at the old NYC Palladium around 1983 or John Entwistle in 1989 at Giants Stadium or NRBQ about 2 years ago in an old movie theater with a deaf drummer as a sound man.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

GuitarKid likes this.
  14. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I mentioned Vardis on here the other week, for some reason that currently escapes me, still a version of them going. I saw them supporting Motörhead around the same period, cool band.

Anyway, as an overall band probably The Damned in the late 80s when I couldn’t stay in the venue it was so painful.

15. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

The Who at The Kinetic Playground in Chicago (I think it was 1970 or 71).

Most recently, Brian Setzer's Christmas concert in 2017 at Symphony Hall in Atlanta. Not only mediocre, but just stupid, painfully loud. It wasn't Setzer's Bassmans so much as the sound man's apparent need to boost the mains into jet engine territory. I held my ears for much of the show. Guess I'm officially an old fart now.

Fortunately my hearing was intact enough that I could enjoy Wynton Marsalis and his Lincoln Center Orchestra's concert at the same venue the next night. It was sublime!

16. ColdUpHere

ColdUpHere TDPRI Member

Neil Young, October 1996 - I was front row center and got the whole 5E3/Magnatone/Baldwin/Maryland Sound PA (and finally house PA) right in the kisser. (Not to mention Frank Sampedro and Ralph Molina's stage rigs)

I had to look directly at Neil's 5E3 to divide the SPL between my ears or I feared that one of my eardrums would cave-in. As it was, it felt like a death ray was drilling into my head. Luckily it was in an arena, any smaller of a venue and there would have been a smoking crater where my head was.

http://thrasherswheat.org/friends/amps.htm

Digital Larry and GuitarKid like this.
  17. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I’ll mention 4:
    1. Black Sabbath on the Heaven and Hell tour at the Philly Spectrum. 1980? Best live sound I ever heard in that concrete hole. Clear as a bell and brutally loud. No white noise at all. But LOUD. And I am known for liking my music loud to this day. But it was LOUD. Imo I killed.
    2. BOC 1981 Philly aspectrum—-sound man turned them all up for the Reaper finale...it all dissolved into a white noise feedback mush where it was all indistinguishable and too loud.
    3. Joe Perry Project at a club in Ocean City, MD called the Back of the Rack. 1983. Tiny club. Joe had his Aerosmith Music Man’s absolutely cranked. I was right against the stage in front of his amp.
    4. Brad Whitford on the 2010 Experience Hendrix tour. I was front row actually leaning on the stage at a tiny Theater in KC. Brad’s 50 watt Plexi was pointing right at me and was dimed. I was close enough to see the knob settings. With his Strat, the amp was whistling and feeding back anytime he wasn’t playing. When he played it simply roared and took me head off. I should have brought ear plugs to that one, but didn’t. It was just rockin’ and very, very loud.

Roddirat and Festus_Hagen like this.
  18. besquire2

besquire2 TDPRI Member

Black Lable Society in a small Club called Kolossal in Aschaffenburg Germany.
    Zakk Wylde had his 100 Watt Marshalls full open. You just heard his Les Paul and nothing else. Worst gig I've ever Seen.

Sent from my MotoG3 using TDPRI forum mobile app

19. Bulldoggio

Bulldoggio Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have three. tied.
    First: Extreme in Omaha Nebraska in the early nineties. It was so loud that I couldn't even discern pitch. Ridiculous.
    Second: Steve Lukather at the Baked Potato, same era. Several Marshall stacks in a small club. I could physically feel the guitar at all times. Good, though.
    Third: Trey Anastasio at the Ryman Auditorium. I could literally feel my eardrums moving to the beat. I had to leave because of the ear pain.

20. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

For me, it was both bands on a double bill in the mid-70s: openers Thin Lizzy and headliners Blue Oyster Cult. To this day it hurts my ears to remember it. It was as if the soundmen for each band was having a volume contest.
    Forgot to mention that we stuffed as much Kleenex into our ears as would fit, and it STILL was painful.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.